Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
NJdudette

Front Cap Leak

I've had my trailer a little over a year and discovered a leak in one of my closets. Thankfully the dealer got me in sort of quickly and found where the leak was coming from: front cap seals. The dealer is going to repair it and I asked them about Keystone covering it even though it's out of warranty and they told me it's been their experience that Keystone won't cover it. In my opinion those joint seals should last more than a year. I'm going to write a letter to Keystone, but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. Has anyone else experienced this? Any luck with Keystone?
NJdudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
Javi

Inspection and sealing of the roof and related joints are the responsibility of the owner. I have mine checked every 6 months or so by a local independent..

Javi
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
smpremier

Mine is 9 months old and I've already had to do some sealing up on the cap.
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
NJdudette

Wow. I had two trailers before my fifth wheel and never encountered this. I know there's regular maintenance that needs to be performed, but I didn't think this was something you'd have to check so early in my ownership. Especially since I don't live in a harsh climate. Thanks for heads-up.
NJdudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
Pizzafarmer

I had my camper for less than a month and had only pulled it the 8 miles from the dealer to home and had the front cap leak. The dealer stated that it's a maintenance problem and charged me for the repair. I've had some furious arguments with them about whose responsibility it is; I'm saying it's theirs since the problem was there when I picked it up. They submitted a warranty claim, but from what I've read here, it probably won't be honored. Has anyone had any luck dealing directly with Keystone?
Pizzafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
theallde

I had a problem with the "rear cap slipping" on my 2015 Cougar TT - see my post titled "rear cap slipping".
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJdudette View Post
Wow. I had two trailers before my fifth wheel and never encountered this. I know there's regular maintenance that needs to be performed, but I didn't think this was something you'd have to check so early in my ownership. Especially since I don't live in a harsh climate. Thanks for heads-up.
I have had to do touch up sealing on brand new units. Every brand of trailer that I know of will state in the owners manual that regular inspection/maintenance is the buyers responsibility after 90 days from sale. Regular part of my walkthrough is informing the customer...some dealers don't bother and shame on them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The front cap leak on your "month old trailer" is not "routine maintenance" according to the Keystone Owner's Manual warranty explanation. It is clear in this quote that the "defective sealant" applied at the factory and delivered to you, did not meet the "Keystone workmanship expectation" It should have been repaired (in my opinion) under the terms of the warranty this soon after delivery. Five or six months after delivery, now that's a different situation and I wouldn't expect Keystone to continue to provide "maintenance" that far into your ownership. But "immediately after delivery? That should be on their dime not yours.

Here's the quote from the 2018 Owner's Manual: " “Defect” means the failure of the workmanship performed and/or materials used to conform with the design and manufacturing specifications and tolerances of Keystone. Defects are covered because Keystone is responsible; on the other hand, Keystone has no control over “damage” caused by such things as collision, misuse and lack of maintenance which occurs after the recreational vehicle is delivered to the owner."

It's clear, based on your explanation of the timing, that the RV was delivered to the owner with a defect". No "reasonable person" would conclude that a leak in a less than one month old vehicle is the owner's responsibility.

I'd urge you to contact Keystone Customer Service with the facts, dates, receipts where the dealer charged you for repairs and demand (in polite terms) that Keystone "make it right"....

I'd also consider the dealer's response as an indicator that they aren't "in your corner" and realize that you need to "cover your own butt" in every business transaction with this dealership. The old adage: "Do me once, shame on you, do me twice, shame on me" applies with any future business you do with that dealer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
Pizzafarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The front cap leak on your "month old trailer" is not "routine maintenance" according to the Keystone Owner's Manual warranty explanation. It is clear in this quote that the "defective sealant" applied at the factory and delivered to you, did not meet the "Keystone workmanship expectation" It should have been repaired (in my opinion) under the terms of the warranty this soon after delivery. Five or six months after delivery, now that's a different situation and I wouldn't expect Keystone to continue to provide "maintenance" that far into your ownership. But "immediately after delivery? That should be on their dime not yours.

Here's the quote from the 2018 Owner's Manual: " “Defect” means the failure of the workmanship performed and/or materials used to conform with the design and manufacturing specifications and tolerances of Keystone. Defects are covered because Keystone is responsible; on the other hand, Keystone has no control over “damage” caused by such things as collision, misuse and lack of maintenance which occurs after the recreational vehicle is delivered to the owner."

It's clear, based on your explanation of the timing, that the RV was delivered to the owner with a defect". No "reasonable person" would conclude that a leak in a less than one month old vehicle is the owner's responsibility.

I'd urge you to contact Keystone Customer Service with the facts, dates, receipts where the dealer charged you for repairs and demand (in polite terms) that Keystone "make it right"....

I'd also consider the dealer's response as an indicator that they aren't "in your corner" and realize that you need to "cover your own butt" in every business transaction with this dealership. The old adage: "Do me once, shame on you, do me twice, shame on me" applies with any future business you do with that dealer.....
Thank you for summing this up so concisely. It's the same basic argument that I used but with no results. You are correct about the dealer; after this is resolved I won't be doing any more business with them. I guess I'll be contacting Keystone Customer Service as you advised.
Pizzafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJdudette View Post
I've had my trailer a little over a year and discovered a leak in one of my closets. Thankfully the dealer got me in sort of quickly and found where the leak was coming from: front cap seals. The dealer is going to repair it and I asked them about Keystone covering it even though it's out of warranty and they told me it's been their experience that Keystone won't cover it. In my opinion those joint seals should last more than a year. I'm going to write a letter to Keystone, but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. Has anyone else experienced this? Any luck with Keystone?
Our last RV - A Thor industries RV - CrossRoads Cruiser Patriot - it had to be resealed - complete roof area. Got the same reply - that is the responsibility of the owner. Cost us $250.00. I had to have it done in order to maintain the 5 year structural warranty.

Most dealers will follow the warranty rules of the manufacture. They are not going to eat the costs.

After I took delivery of our Avalanche:
1. Sealed the front compartment (from inside and under the area)– appears that “water spray” must have entered the compartment at some time as it traveled down the road. Took 2 tubes of sealant.
2. Rear area of the refrigerator was not sealed like I have seen on other refrigerators. Sealed area and painted the wood for preservation.
3. Underside of RV - resealed areas sealed at the factory
4. Resealed a few areas on the front of the RV as needed
5. Resealed the water works area as needed
6. Resealed the propane bottle area as needed.

Thor products:
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
mtofell

My 1.5 year old Keystone just leaked at one of the slides. The sealant had split at the edge of the roof and the gutter had some mud debris that caused it to overflow and concentrate water in just the wrong spot. In the end I'm somewhat glad it happened since it caused me to go around the entire roof and clean/seal things. I found about a half dozen splits and openings that I sealed up. Disappointing on a trailer so new but not surprising from everything I've read. I think the really bad things happen when people don't stay on top of the maintenance and/or let the trailers sit for long periods without checking on things.

Even if I had been in my warranty period I doubt I would have taken it in. The guys working on these things at the dealer are pretty much on par with the ones that built it in the first place. Get it in, get it out, don't care about doing it right.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak