Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
And then, there is the Maxxis Tire Load/Inflation chart. Pick your tire size and follow the line across....

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/traile...nflation-chart

On my particular trailer, I just came off the scales Friday with the trailer loaded just as it is when I travel. Trailer weight...10,380. I run 75 psi cold pressure, which gives me 3260 lbs per tire (ST235/80/16E tires). That is a total load capacity of 13,040 lbs. So I have a reserve of 2660 lbs which works out to 665 lbs per tire.
I'm wondering what brand tire you are talking about? I've never seen Maxxis tires as OEM for keystone. If you have another brand you may have more load capacity than you think you have. Keystone likes to use ST235/80R16E tires that have 3520# of load capacity @ 80 psi.Your tire's sidewalls will tell you what you have.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #22
Javi

Quote:
After reading through the article from the above link ^^^^, I've probably come to some conclusions, and a couple of them stand out. It seems that the theme of the entire publication revolves around tire safety in different scenarios.....cars, trucks, Heavy trucks, and RVs. Some of what was written there I am familiar with, some of it maybe not. What I do take out of the publication is that, as with many other Government regulations, is intended to provide guidance/motherly love for folks that maybe don' know any better or simply do not have the common sense to figure out how to properly take care of their tires; from proper inflation, to tread depth, to sidewall cracking, to proper fitment of the correct tire for the load that they hauling/towing. It seems that common sense really isn't very common anymore and it also seems that the "It's not my fault...I didn't know" mentality has taken over in many cases. Add in the anxious to sue someone mentality, and many, many government regulations and guideline are born.

As with some other Government regulations that are written, I don't agree with this one, in the respect that they say that you should never lower the tire pressure lower than the safety plaquard on the vehicle. I don't agree, and most likely never will.

CW......you seem to totally agree with the safety plaquard issue, so I'd like to ask you a question here.

There is another scenario where we are regulated by the Government (and it's agencies), and we all know it as the Speed Limit....which is actually a safety Plaquard for the roads and highways. So, by your thought process we have an Interstate highway with a 70 MPH speed limit in effect. So if you go by the "Plaquard", 70 MPH is the speed to drive...that's what the plaquard says is the limit. So I'll compare that limit to the 80 psi "limit" that is stamped on the sidewalls of my four trailer tires. 70 MPH is the safe speed limit, and 80 psi is the "safe" limit for my tires. It doesn't require any thinking or deliberation or discussion.....70 is the speed limit and 80 is the psi.

So finally, my long awaited question! So, the above scenarios (let's take the speed limit one first), are there any limiting factors that should affect that limit, you know, like raining really hard.....snow on the roadway....heavy fog...heavy traffic....poor road conditions...you get the drift. Hopefully most everyone would say "Of Course" there are conditions that change the way I drive in a 70 MPH speed limited area.

OK, now the psi thing. So the "speed limit" (actually the safety plaquard on the trailer) says 80 psi (this is the actual number on my Toy Hauler by the way)......so I have to run 80 psi..right? Of course I do, it's the Speed Limit/Safety Plaquard and it the gospel law. So what about those extenuating conditions....you know like rain, snow, heavy traffic, fog, poor road conditions...all the things that should make you want to vary from the posted speed limit. The same is true when it comes to tire pressure....the plaquard says 80, but there are extenuating condidtions......something like my just scaled trailer that came in at 10,380 lbs which is 2660 lbs LESS than my tires are inflated to handle at 75 psi (which gives me a 665 lb reserve capacity at each tire). But wait, should I abide by some Government recommendation to run my tires inflated to 80 psi and have a load capacity of 13,680 lbs (825 lbs per tire reserve)....OR should I apply some Common Sense to the situation and inflate the tires to a reasonable pressure that is consistent with hauling my trailer with a significan reserve, no danger of overloading, and no danger or over-heating the tire because of excessive flexing because I'm underinflated?

In closing, I really don't expect you to agree with my thoughts on this, but thank God I have the ability to apply common sense when needed in most situations that I'm faced with......and this is one of them. As we both have differing opinions of this tire pressure topic, I really don't see any need to continue it from my perspective.

And BTW, thank you for posting those links, they did make for some interesting reading, even if I don't agree with some of it....and never will.
As a note:... the speed limit is the maximum allowable and in most states there is also a minimum as well..

Placarded inflation pressure isn't a maximum limit... it is the recommended pressure... for instance the tires on my pickup are 80 psi tires but my placard says 65 psi...

Frankly I don't really care if someone wants to run their tires at below the recommended pressure.... but your analogy failed...
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #23
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I'm wondering what brand tire you are talking about? I've never seen Maxxis tires as OEM for keystone. If you have another brand you may have more load capacity than you think you have. Keystone likes to use ST235/80R16E tires that have 3520# of load capacity @ 80 psi.Your tire's sidewalls will tell you what you have.
I purchased the T.H. new, towed it home (375 miles), then took the Trailer King China bombs off (towed it into town another 20 miles or so) and had the Maxxis 8008 tires put on. This is the third trailer that I've own that I put Maxxis 8008 tires on, although the others were Enclosed trailers, not camping style trailers. So yes, it didn't come with the Maxxis.....it had the China bombs on it.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #24
xrated

Javi wrote:
Quote:
Placarded inflation pressure isn't a maximum limit... it is the recommended pressure... for instance the tires on my pickup are 80 psi tires but my placard says 65 psi...
In my case, and probably many others, it's also the maximum limit, as the tire sidewall number is 80 psi maximum.

Also, we're not talking about truck tires here, we're talking trailer tires. My truck also has a 65 psi on the yellow sticker on the door post and the tires are 80 psi maximum inflation. That tells me that Ford, in my case is making a recommendation for tire pressure that will satisfy the load capacity of my truck 10K GVW. In the case of my trailer, they recommend 80 psi, when in fact, 75 psi will satisfy the load capacity of the trailer's GVWR. What I'm trying to point out in this whole long thread is that with a trailer weight of 10,380 lbs (remember, just took it across the scales last weekend), I don't need 80 psi just because it's recommended. In fact, I could get by with 60 psi and still be about 1000 pounds in reserve, although I don't want to push it that tight.

Javi wrote:
Quote:
Frankly I don't really care if someone wants to run their tires at below the recommended pressure.... but your analogy failed...
And that is why I wasn't discussing the inflation thing with you, no disrepect intended, but if you don't care one way or the other, then why post that you don't care.

Analogy still intact.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Javi wrote:

In my case, and probably many others, it's also the maximum limit, as the tire sidewall number is 80 psi maximum.

Also, we're not talking about truck tires here, we're talking trailer tires. My truck also has a 65 psi on the yellow sticker on the door post and the tires are 80 psi maximum inflation.

Javi wrote:

And that is why I wasn't discussing the inflation thing with you, no disrepect intended, but if you don't care one way or the other, then why post that you don't care.

Analogy still intact.
I posted because I thought your analogy was flawed and I found it funny as in haha... I'll stay away now...
Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

xrated,

You might want to take one item into consideration that so far (in your posts), you've completely ignored. That's the actual loaded weight on each of your tires. You're making an assumption that the trailer axles are carrying 10,380 pounds, equally divided between the front and rear axle and also equally divided side to side. In other words, you're making an assumption (probably incorrectly) that each of your axles is carrying 5,190 pounds and each tire on both axles is carrying 2,595 pounds. In "real world conditions" you can easily find that one side of your RV is 1,000 pounds (or more) heavier than the opposing side.

I can almost guarantee you that if you weigh each tire position individually, you'll find that there is a statistically measurable difference between your tires. You may find that the side with the refrigerator is 600 or more pounds heavier than the "off side" and if the refrigerator is in a slide, that weight difference may well grow to 1,000 or more pounds. You may find that because of the way your trailer is configured (by floorplan, the WD hitch "tightness" and how "nose down/nose up it sits) that you have several hundred pounds, possibly much, MUCH more than several hundred pounds on one axle than the other. This will load either the front tire or the rear tire on that side significantly heavier than the other tire on the same side and completely throw your "calculated tire loading" out the window. You may find that one tire on your trailer is carrying 1800 pounds and the other tire on the same axle is carrying 2600 pounds. You may also find that one axle is carrying significantly more weight than the other axle. Now, when you "go" with a full fresh water tank and empty holding tanks and "return" with full holding tanks and an empty FW tank, you'll change weight loading enough to throw your load/pressure calculations for each axle/tire completely out the window.

So, to use a load chart based on a "superficial trailer weight" can (and probably does) place at least one or possibly more of your tires in an underinflated condition and can, using your "divide the weight by four" calculations, you could very well have more than one of your tires "overinflated" even though they aren't at the "factory recommended pressure". Also, keep in mind that every axle manufacturer, every tire manufacturer and every RV manufacturer stipulates that if pressure is calculated "per axle" then all tires on that axle must carry the same pressure.

For most of us, following the tire manufacturer's recommendation of "maintain pressure at the maximum on the ST tire sidewall (which in almost every situation is the same as the RV manufacturer's placard) is not only much easier than weighing every wheel position, it's the safest way to always assure that you're not underinflated.

I have no doubt that you're convinced that your method is the correct one for you to follow, I'd just urge you to realize that based on the information contained in your CAT scale weight slips, you don't have enough information to calculate either the "weight per axle" or the "weight per tire", so you don't have the capability to determine what load chart pressure/weight capacity to follow. Also keep in mind that the loading per tire will change (sometimes dramatically) just by placing camping equipment in the trailer or by loading food for a 2 week trip. So don't get too "entrenched" in your tire loading/pressure chart values unless you really want to "best guess it" or stop at the CAT scale for nearly every trip.

There is an easier, simpler way, it's follow the RV manufacturer's placard (which almost always corresponds to the tire manufacturer's recommendation).

Why make a simple task any more difficult than it needs to be ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #27
xrated

John,
Thank you for a very detailed reply and some things to think about that I do not know for sure, since the CAT scale tickets were not of each wheel or even of each axle. I will say, in my defense that I have tried very hard and thought about my loading of the trailer, even when I was still planning and setting up my locations of where to place things in it. For example, the trailer has two slides. One is a larger in size than the other and it contains a 93" sofa. The other slide contains the refrigerator and stove and microwave. I suspected that the "kitchen" slide would be heavier than the sofa slide, so when I set up the garage area, the motorcycle is loaded on the same side as the sofa....and the much lighter scooter (pit bike) is loaded on the kithcen side. There is also a 30 gallon onboard fuel tank in the back, but it looks to be pretty well centered under the trailer. A roll around tool box is centered in the garage from left to right. I also carry four paint buckets full of concrete that is used to help hold down my EZ up canopy in windy condidtions....those are on the same side as the sofa slide. The EZ up itself is on the opposite side of the garage. Even my spare motorcycle tires/wheels are mounted one on each side for load balance. It's still for sure an "unknown" unless I get it weighed, but I have tried very hard to do a side to side euaal weight distribution. As far as front to back...and how the front axle is loaded as opposed to the rear, I simply do not know, and as you said, will change dymanically as the liquids move from the fresh tank to the grey and black tanks and the fuel in the onboard tank is used.

You explanation makes a lot of sense for inflating the tires to the plaquard recommendation, that those points that you made were never entered into the discussion before, thus my reasoning for what I said in earlier posts.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #28
xrated

OK, a couple of other question here....
1. just out of curiosity, where can you find a scale that weighs tire individually? Are they somewhat a rarity or are they pretty common?

2. As far as one tire being overloaded or one side being overloaded or not evenly distributed, would that not show up on the TPMS system by seeing higher temperatures in the tire(s) that were carrying more weight? Assuming that all four tires were inflated to the same pressure, it seems that temperatures would rise in the "under-inflated tire".

Damn it John, you've given me way too much to think about this late in the day, and my head is spinning. I'm going to bed....gotta get up at 3:30 AM for work!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #29
Bolo4u

Quote:
John,
Thank you for a very detailed reply and some things to think about that I do not know for sure, since the CAT scale tickets were not of each wheel or even of each axle. I will say, in my defense that I have tried very hard and thought about my loading of the trailer, even when I was still planning and setting up my locations of where to place things in it. For example, the trailer has two slides. One is a larger in size than the other and it contains a 93" sofa. The other slide contains the refrigerator and stove and microwave. I suspected that the "kitchen" slide would be heavier than the sofa slide, so when I set up the garage area, the motorcycle is loaded on the same side as the sofa....and the much lighter scooter (pit bike) is loaded on the kithcen side. There is also a 30 gallon onboard fuel tank in the back, but it looks to be pretty well centered under the trailer. A roll around tool box is centered in the garage from left to right. I also carry four paint buckets full of concrete that is used to help hold down my EZ up canopy in windy condidtions....those are on the same side as the sofa slide. The EZ up itself is on the opposite side of the garage. Even my spare motorcycle tires/wheels are mounted one on each side for load balance. It's still for sure an "unknown" unless I get it weighed, but I have tried very hard to do a side to side euaal weight distribution. As far as front to back...and how the front axle is loaded as opposed to the rear, I simply do not know, and as you said, will change dymanically as the liquids move from the fresh tank to the grey and black tanks and the fuel in the onboard tank is used.

You explanation makes a lot of sense for inflating the tires to the plaquard recommendation, that those points that you made were never entered into the discussion before, thus my reasoning for what I said in earlier posts.

Coming into this conversation late, and not knowing in which state you reside, most states and likely some larger municipalities, will have some form of mobile commercial law enforcement , and they usually have portable scales. Maybe call your nearest office and ask if they can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #30
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Coming into this conversation late, and not knowing in which state you reside, most states and likely some larger municipalities, will have some form of mobile commercial law enforcement , and they usually have portable scales. Maybe call your nearest office and ask if they can do it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm in TN and I've seen THP set up mobile scales for truck inspections. I may check with them.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Every Michigan DOT inspector and many of the State Police traffic enforcement officers has a set of individual wheel scales. Many DOT weigh stations have a set as well. Many other states have similar setups, but getting access to those scales would probably be very difficult. Borrowing a set from a DOT officer "ain't gonna happen" and finding an officer who will take an hour or more to let you use his equipment under his supervision is probably a long shot as well.

You can buy a set, do a Google search for "portable drive over scales" and you'll quickly see that it probably isn't worth the $1500 cost.... At least it isn't something I'd want to spend money on.

As for CAT scales, the only way I know to weigh each individual axle is to pull "partly off the side" of the scale pads, pull the trailer up to the vehicle pad with front trailer axle on the front pad and rear trailer axle on the rear pad. That would give you an "approximate" weight, but since the scale pad foundation is sloped for drainage, the trailer will be "slanted to the side" which would alter the weight. How much? I don't know, but I'd guess enough to make the weight not worth the hassle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #32
xrated

John, I just found a link to a place that does mobile wheel position weighing....
http://rvsafety.com/weighing/weighing-schedule

They are going to be at a Rally in Crossville, TN the weekend of May 11-14 and it is approx. 85 miles from my house. Do you think it would be worth the time and trouble to do this ($60) for the weigh in, or just go ahead and run the tire pressures up to the 80 psi and be done with it?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #33
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Every Michigan DOT inspector and many of the State Police traffic enforcement officers has a set of individual wheel scales. Many DOT weigh stations have a set as well. Many other states have similar setups, but getting access to those scales would probably be very difficult. Borrowing a set from a DOT officer "ain't gonna happen" and finding an officer who will take an hour or more to let you use his equipment under his supervision is probably a long shot as well.

You can buy a set, do a Google search for "portable drive over scales" and you'll quickly see that it probably isn't worth the $1500 cost.... At least it isn't something I'd want to spend money on.

As for CAT scales, the only way I know to weigh each individual axle is to pull "partly off the side" of the scale pads, pull the trailer up to the vehicle pad with front trailer axle on the front pad and rear trailer axle on the rear pad. That would give you an "approximate" weight, but since the scale pad foundation is sloped for drainage, the trailer will be "slanted to the side" which would alter the weight. How much? I don't know, but I'd guess enough to make the weight not worth the hassle.

Given I work for an agency who handles this type of enforcement, dealing with an individual commercial officer isn't as difficult as it may seem, especially if you explain your purpose and set up a date/time in advance. No, they won't let you do it yourself, but it wouldn't take more than about 30 minutes. Fwiw, individuals who take the proper steps and seek help with that goal to be within the law goes much further than just ignoring it.

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
John, I just found a link to a place that does mobile wheel position weighing....
http://rvsafety.com/weighing/weighing-schedule

They are going to be at a Rally in Crossville, TN the weekend of May 11-14 and it is approx. 85 miles from my house. Do you think it would be worth the time and trouble to do this ($60) for the weigh in, or just go ahead and run the tire pressures up to the 80 psi and be done with it?
You really need to decide if you're going to be "fluid with constantly changing tire pressures based on weights" or if you're going to be "like the majority of the rest of us"..... That's not intended to be derogatory in any way, rather it's intended to suggest that you need to consider that you'll be "constantly weighing your rig and adjusting pressures based on load configuration and camping supplies or whether you want to do it the easy way, realizing that you'll probably never wear out a set of ST tires before they "time out" at the end of their usable life. At 11,000 pounds, you're not going to have a "rounded tread" that wears unevenly on the center when you're running 225mm wide tires. I'd be much more concerned with underinflation using your proposed system than I would with being overinflated using the Keystone placard and the Maxxis sidewall maximum inflation of 80PSI.

As for hauling the rig 170 miles out of your way and spending most of a day doing so, to pay $60 to find out what each wheel weighs? That has to be a personal choice, probably something I would never consider unless I was having a problem and needed to troubleshoot an individual wheel problem. So, for me, I wouldn't do it, realizing that as soon as I leave the "sophisticated weigh station" and go camping for a weekend, the trailer loading is going to be different than it was when I drove onto the scales, so it isn't going to be a reliable "forever" kind of reliable weight.

If I were you, I'd consider that Keystone's engineers have been putting placards on trailers for 25+ years and they've got well over half a million RV's on the road. Sure they get one wrong every once in a while and you can look at the recall information on their website to see how they handle those isolated situations. But, for the rest of us, they've got a reasonable, easy to follow tire pressure recommendation that fits the needs of all of our RVs, regardless of how we load them (within reason) and it already takes into account all of the load variability that's built in by usual and unusual circumstances that our RV will be subjected to as long as we keep it under the GVW.

If you do want to check your individual tire weights, I'd suggest seeing if Bolo4u's suggestion of finding a DOT officer in your area and seeing whether he can offer some suggestions on how to do the weights locally. I wouldn't spend most of a day, tow 170 miles out of my way and pay $60 for individual wheel weights if I wasn't having some mechanical issue that would lead me to think I need the information.

For me, I've never worn out an ST tire before it aged out and I average around 8,000 miles annually. That means 32,000 miles in the 4 years until I replace them based on manufacture date. Maybe some people might, but I would suspect abnormal wear that's identified will be from an unbalanced tire or a misaligned wheel/axle, not from overinflation from following the recommendations on the Keystone placard.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #35
xrated

John,
Thank you AGAIN, for a very detailed explanation. I've never been one to just say OK, that what the regulations/guidelines say, that's what I'll do. I need to understand the reasoning behind something in order to get onboard and agree to do it that way. Your explanation makes perfectly good sense and I understand the reasoning behind it. I'm not going to go through all of the trouble of trying to fine tune the tire pressures each and every time, although as I stated in a previous post, the trailer will go out everytime in almost exactly the same configuration of loading and weight distribution. Everything in the trailer has a place and we take the exact same stuff everytime, so not a lot of variable there. Still, it will be easier to do the 80 psi thing and that is the route I am going.

Thanks again for your input.

Vern

Old 04-26-2017, 02:15 AM   #36
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sure glad we got that settled! This has been a very good thread with a lot of great information for everybody. Bottom line: ain't none of us got time for that! Run the recommended tire pressure and be done. Do something crazy with your spare time. Like go camping or motorcycle racing. And enjoy the extra capacity and peace of mind your better tires bring you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #37
xrated

LOL....sometimes it's a struggle getting to the final answer/decision, but one thing is certain....ask a lot of questions and get input from folks that know AND can provide proper reasons for doing something a certain way, and you'll feel positive that the right decision was made. I've always been a "why" kind of person, seldom just accepting the "that's the way it's supposed to be done" answer. A lot of it probably stems from my choice of occupation. As a Journeyman Electrician, it's imperative to know the "why" of how the systems work, and how to troubleshoot them effectively....without becoming a toasty brown lump of your former self. I'm sure that some folks may find my inquisitive nature a little bothersome, but I learned a long time ago (during my apprenticeship) to ask a lot of questions if you don't know, and to never take anything for granted.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #38
CWtheMan

I've posted a lot of references in this thread. On page 56 of the one below you will find a procedure for weighing each wheel position. This reference was originally posted in post #18.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf

Youtube:

CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #39
talk2cpu

OK, I understand that you either follow the manufacturers placard or the tire maximum psi. I replaced my 205/75 14 Towmaster, trailer placard for this size is 50 psi, as is the tire sidewall. I replaced with same size Carlisle Trail HD with a maximum side wall listed at 65 psi. The Towmasters were not overloaded and I now have even more tire capacity. For the last 1800 miles I have run them at 60 psi and have had no problems also the TPMS shows only a 3-5° temp rise over ambient air.

Now do I go by the placard on the trailer or the psi on the tire sidewall?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 AM   #40
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
OK, I understand that you either follow the manufacturers placard or the tire maximum psi. I replaced my 205/75 14 Towmaster, trailer placard for this size is 50 psi, as is the tire sidewall. I replaced with same size Carlisle Trail HD with a maximum side wall listed at 65 psi. The Towmasters were not overloaded and I now have even more tire capacity. For the last 1800 miles I have run them at 60 psi and have had no problems also the TPMS shows only a 3-5° temp rise over ambient air.

Now do I go by the placard on the trailer or the psi on the tire sidewall?
To fulfil the Carlisle warranty owner obligation, your new tires have to be maintained at 65psi cold, the stated max sidewall psi.

Maxxis is the only ST tire that "suggests" with their load inflation table that their tires can be run at lower than max stated sidewall pressure. I have received verbal confirmation from the Maxxis Canadian distribution center, but nothing in writing.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty