Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
nitrohorse

Bedroom TV Issue

I finally installed the TV mount in the bedroom of our 2015 Sprinter Copper Canyon 333 FWFLS. Got the mount up, cable and power hooked up, and started the channel search. Search ends on the "cable" selection on the TV and no channels. I then choose the "air" (antenna) option, and the same thing, no channels. Does anyone know how to check for power or signal at the cable connection? I used a brand new RG 6 cable, so I'm fairly confident that it's not the cable from the ceiling outlet to the TV. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
I finally installed the TV mount in the bedroom of our 2015 Sprinter Copper Canyon 333 FWFLS. Got the mount up, cable and power hooked up, and started the channel search. Search ends on the "cable" selection on the TV and no channels. I then choose the "air" (antenna) option, and the same thing, no channels. Does anyone know how to check for power or signal at the cable connection? I used a brand new RG 6 cable, so I'm fairly confident that it's not the cable from the ceiling outlet to the TV. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Really have little information on your setup such as the coax cable to your TV where is the other end connected ? If you did a channel search TV has power. You mentioned that you tried it for CABLE as well as ON AIR. When you use the Antenna (On Air) the antenna booster switch should be on, whereas for Cable the booster should be off. Did you put your own ends on the new piece of RG6 or were they already on there?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Really have little information on your setup such as the coax cable to your TV where is the other end connected ? If you did a channel search TV has power. You mentioned that you tried it for CABLE as well as ON AIR. When you use the Antenna (On Air) the antenna booster switch should be on, whereas for Cable the booster should be off. Did you put your own ends on the new piece of RG6 or were they already on there?
I'm on a seasonal site and we have cable. The TV in the living room works fine. I took the bedroom TV and the new cable (came with ends on it) and tried it in the living room and got all the channels. In short, the the bedroom cable outlet is not working. I'm not sure how Keystone wires their TV cable. Do they use a splitter at the point of entry into the RV with one cable going to the living room and one to the bedroom? I guess I will have to call them tomorrow and hope they can help me trouble shoot it. I'm hoping that it's not a case of someone cut the cable during the building g of the unit. Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
racin500

You can test the coax if you have a ohm meter. Here is a youtube video.

The meter can be purchased fairly cheap for a basic unit.
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
GaryWT

Did you pull the connector plate in the bedroom to see if there is cable connected on the other side? Also, look to see if you can get to where the cable enters the trailer to see how and where it goes.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The antenna booster has connections for two TV's. Have you removed the booster from the wall to be sure that the bedroom cable is even connected? It may be just laying there, behind the booster.

Here is the link to the booster instructions: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451489.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Most common routing is "Cable" in at exterior of unit. That coax will be routed to the booster and attached at the backside in the CABLE connection. Roof antenna will have a coax routed to the same booster and attached at the backside in the ANT connection. If there is a separate satellite coax, it will be attached to a separate connection NOT on the booster.

There should be a coax connected to TV2, that's the one your looking for. Often times I see different colored sheathing to identify what is what.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Most common routing is "Cable" in at exterior of unit. That coax will be routed to the booster and attached at the backside in the CABLE connection. Roof antenna will have a coax routed to the same booster and attached at the backside in the ANT connection. If there is a separate satellite coax, it will be attached to a separate connection NOT on the booster.

There should be a coax connected to TV2, that's the one your looking for. Often times I see different colored sheathing to identify what is what.
OKAY, lets do a reset on my previous post, I thought you were adding a TV to the bedroom that had nothing there at all rather than you having power and a coaxial connector there already and just adding a bracket. Thought the rg6 was intended to bring coax to the bedroom and not be the connection from the TV to the existing Coaxial connector.

I have quoted chuckster57 post because I feel also that this is the cable routing and did not want to retype all this. Have enough trouble typing. For now lets assume your working TV is wired like identified above.

Hopefully wherever you are there are some over the air channels. Now turn your antenna booster on thereby providing power the antenna. Go down to the working TV and set it up for over the air broadcast and scan for channels.
If connected as identified above you should be able the view over the air channels.

What I am trying to determine is if you have two coaxial connectors behind the TV that you are connected to the one going to the Booster connector and not to external coaxial connector labeled or mislabeled Satellite Prep. In many rigs such as mine that exterior satellite coax connector is a straight run to just the connector behind the main TV.

If you pick up over air broadcast you know it is connected as identified above and I would pull the booster face plate and check to see if you have wires on TV1 and TV2. I you only have two coax connectors for two TV's in entire rig, then one of the two cables connected to the booster goes to the LR and the other to the Connector in the bedroom. To determine which of the coax on TV1 and TV2 go where , while watching a picture on the LR TV unscrew one or the other to see which one shuts of the picture. If either TV1 or TV2 does not have a coax on it think you found problem. Reach up in ceiling to see if it laying up there and connect if found.

FYI if you had more TV's than two there would be a splitter say off TV2

Now if you do not get any over the air channels my guess is that that working TV in the LR is on that straight shot to the external connector.

Now another way to test this with out changing anything other than take the coax from the working TV and connect to into the other coax connector behind that TV. If it now gets over the air channels you want to go outside and switch your current camp site cable coax to the other exterior coax connector and mark that one CABLE.

Now you should be able to go to the LR TV which now has over the air channels on it, shut off booster set TV to Cable and rescan and view cable stations.

Assuming you have two good connections on the Booster the Bedroom TV should be getting cable

Since trouble shooting involves if this then check that. I am not going to go any further probably confusing enough now. Let me know if you try any of this and the results. Do not think you are ever going to find a wiring diagram.

Good Luck and Sorry about my incorrect evaluation of your issue

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin500 View Post
You can test the coax if you have a ohm meter. Here is a youtube video.

The meter can be purchased fairly cheap for a basic unit.
I do have an ohm meter, but it was at home...lol. I actually have two, an older, digital Craftsman and a freebie Harbor Freight job. I will check the cable w/ the meter when I head up to the RV again. We were running tight on time so I could do much in the way of diagnostics (pulling plate covers off and checking for connections). On top of it, we still had about 10" of snow on the ground and I had sneakers on, so
I did not check behind the exterior cable connection. When we first hooked the cable up at the seasonal site, I had to use the "cable" connection on the panel on the exterior of the RV and use the "satelitte" connection on the wall plate behind the TV. My guess is that the cable wiring is messed up. Like I said before, we were tight on time. I figured there was a wealth of knowledge on here and hopefully someone figured this problem out before me. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:53 AM   #10
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
OKAY, lets do a reset on my previous post, I thought you were adding a TV to the bedroom that had nothing there at all rather than you having power and a coaxial connector there already and just adding a bracket. Thought the rg6 was intended to bring coax to the bedroom and not be the connection from the TV to the existing Coaxial connector.

I have quoted chuckster57 post because I feel also that this is the cable routing and did not want to retype all this. Have enough trouble typing. For now lets assume your working TV is wired like identified above.

Hopefully wherever you are there are some over the air channels. Now turn your antenna booster on thereby providing power the antenna. Go down to the working TV and set it up for over the air broadcast and scan for channels.
If connected as identified above you should be able the view over the air channels.

What I am trying to determine is if you have two coaxial connectors behind the TV that you are connected to the one going to the Booster connector and not to external coaxial connector labeled or mislabeled Satellite Prep. In many rigs such as mine that exterior satellite coax connector is a straight run to just the connector behind the main TV.

If you pick up over air broadcast you know it is connected as identified above and I would pull the booster face plate and check to see if you have wires on TV1 and TV2. I you only have two coax connectors for two TV's in entire rig, then one of the two cables connected to the booster goes to the LR and the other to the Connector in the bedroom. To determine which of the coax on TV1 and TV2 go where , while watching a picture on the LR TV unscrew one or the other to see which one shuts of the picture. If either TV1 or TV2 does not have a coax on it think you found problem. Reach up in ceiling to see if it laying up there and connect if found.

FYI if you had more TV's than two there would be a splitter say off TV2

Now if you do not get any over the air channels my guess is that that working TV in the LR is on that straight shot to the external connector.

Now another way to test this with out changing anything other than take the coax from the working TV and connect to into the other coax connector behind that TV. If it now gets over the air channels you want to go outside and switch your current camp site cable coax to the other exterior coax connector and mark that one CABLE.

Now you should be able to go to the LR TV which now has over the air channels on it, shut off booster set TV to Cable and rescan and view cable stations.

Assuming you have two good connections on the Booster the Bedroom TV should be getting cable

Since trouble shooting involves if this then check that. I am not going to go any further probably confusing enough now. Let me know if you try any of this and the results. Do not think you are ever going to find a wiring diagram.

Good Luck and Sorry about my incorrect evaluation of your issue
No need to apologize. I don't think I made myself very clear when I described my issue. I have to start tracing the wiring and go from there. I have a feeling it was close to lunch or quiting time when they did the final cable routing on my trailer. Oh well, if this is the worst that I have to deal with, I'm doing good. I have a feeling that the bedroom cable may be attached to the "antenna" port on the booster. I did not turn the booster on and try a channel search. My wife was ready to leave, and you know how that goes...... I appreciate your help and I will report back with what I find in case some one else has the same issue in the future. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The antenna booster has connections for two TV's. Have you removed the booster from the wall to be sure that the bedroom cable is even connected? It may be just laying there, behind the booster.

Here is the link to the booster instructions: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451489.pdf
I have not removed the booster plate from the wall. I was short on time and had to leave. I was hoping to get the diagram on how the cable was run, but you guys on here helped me much better than that. I think I will find the problem when I head back up to the trailer. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #12
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

I think the bedroom cable run may be off the antenna side of booster. I will take my ohm meter with me next trip and start the hunt. I'm also going to take a 3 way splitter with me just in case.. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
I do have an ohm meter, but it was at home...lol. I actually have two, an older, digital Craftsman and a freebie Harbor Freight job. I will check the cable w/ the meter when I head up to the RV again. We were running tight on time so I could do much in the way of diagnostics (pulling plate covers off and checking for connections). On top of it, we still had about 10" of snow on the ground and I had sneakers on, so
I did not check behind the exterior cable connection. When we first hooked the cable up at the seasonal site, I had to use the "cable" connection on the panel on the exterior of the RV and use the "satelitte" connection on the wall plate behind the TV . My guess is that the cable wiring is messed up. Like I said before, we were tight on time. I figured there was a wealth of knowledge on here and hopefully someone figured this problem out before me. Thank you for your help.
Thanks for response Now I have additional information on at least what coax connections you have on the outside and behind the LR TV. I highly recommend using the procedure I outlined before you go playing with that meter. This procedure will isolate your problem using a real signal vs a Dc continuity check using the ohm meter.

Given the additional data you supplied (RED) and assuming it was and is still hooked up that way when you made your initial comments I think your labeling is incorrect on the external coax connections and/or the LR TV or both.

OKAY lets assume its hooked up as described in red and wired correctly to booster.

CS cable connected to external coax labeled "CABLE" signal would be sent to booster switch and based on booster switch being on or off would send either a antenna signal or your CS cable signal out on TV1 and TV2. Lets say TV1 coax cable went to coax connector behind LR TV labeled Cable. Notice your said TV hooked up to Satellite. OOps But under this scenario given the bedroom TV coax is good and connected to the booster I would expect the bedroom TV to have either a CS cable or over the Air signal based on the booster switch position. This is not the results you have described You have not given me any info as to if you ever tried the LR TV on antenna with BOOSTER SWITCH ON ?????? Given the scenario above I would expect the LR TV to have no over the AIR signal. Again I am assuming you can pick up over the air signal where you are

NOW lets assume that one of the external coax connections or those behind your TV or both are labeled incorrectly.

Okay now lets assume the CS cable which is currently connected to external coax labeled CABLE is really mislabeled and should be labeled SATELLITE. Assuming labeling in LR connect and the TV is still connected to the coax connector labeled SATELLITE. Assuming rig wired correctly I would expect to see exactly what you described LR TV gets signal and no cable signal in bedroom, Obviously if the two coax connectors where mislabeled (switched) you would have the same effect.

I recommend you follow the procedure outlined to isolate the problem using real signals. You may need the meter if say everything in procedure works as expected except bedroom and you verified cable connected from Bedroom coax connector and the booster switch. You could take that cable off the booster switch short out the bedroom coax connector and put the meter on ohms and check for continuity (ZERO) of the coax cable by putting meter leads in the center conductor and connector nut.

Hope this helps, finally getting rid of PA snow

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

First off, thanks to everyone who offered advice. I really do appreciate it. Secondly, I want to report my findings so that maybe someone else in the future may be saved a headache. The problem was with the cable and antenna being switched from the factory at the booster switch. When I turned the booster switch on for power amplification, the TV received signal with the cable from the TV hooked to the cable outlet on the wall. I don't want to be a whiner, but you'd think an employee could at least get the TV cables hooked up properly... Oh well, it that's the worst that happens, I'm doing damn good. Thanks again to all and happy camp in'.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad you found the issue. And like you said, if that's the worst of it your doing a lot better than a lot of people. Take care and enjoy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #16
carpeneti

Did you ever get the bedroom tv set up? We are having the same problem
carpeneti is offline   Reply With Quote