Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Screen free weekend

I just got an email from Michigan DNR advertising a "Camp Kitigen Screen Free Weekend". I thought, "How are they going to keep the bugs away without screens?"... It just didn't immediately click, but after I looked at the link, I guess what I've been reading on the forum and hearing on TV and seeing in the newspapers is on track. Adults spend too much time planted in front of a "screen" be it a computer, tablet, smart phone or ?????

Ironically, I found out about this "screen free weekend" via an email and registration is done by clicking on a website and completing your reservation.

Sounds like the familiar ring these days: "There's an app for that"

Here's the link for anyone who wants to leave their Keystone RV with remote, LED TV, microwave, TPMS and rear view monitor at home to "get away from it all" ......

http://content.govdelivery.com/accou...lletins/cc8c0b

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

John, Is this for real or just a devious plan to get us moderators a weekend off??? I just wish you would have come up with this before football season started. Now that I think about it this may be my DW's evil plot.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's for real. I found it "astounding" (or is it "downright ironic') that DNR, those people who manage the outdoors, have a program to help adults move away from our "computer oriented society". I think about my daughter, son in law and grandkids and how they "can't survive" without their smartphone. Heck, 4th graders in the local school are "lost" without their momentary fixes on Twitter and Facebook.

What have we become as a society, when we have to pay $200 to "spend a weekend away from screens" ??? Can't we just put them down and pull the trailer somewhere and not turn on the TV?

It seems, apparently we can't (or choose not to) and what's that say for the reasons we bought the trailers for in the first place? We aren't satisfied with it unless the TV, DVD player, Speakers, remote control, multicolor LED awning lights, understep light, and all the other "electronic gadgets" are fully functional. Some of us even go so far as to be unhappy with Keystone's standard stereo, we have to install a 1000 watt amp and new speakers to really "feel the mood of the music". I just question how we can justify installing "energy users" like monster stereos, 50" Smart TV's and 5.1 sound systems so we can "get away and enjoy nature".....The sure weren't in nature until we took them there LOL

Does it end? or are we taking our screens with us when we "escape the screen" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH -
Some people bought their RV to get away from their suburban stick house to some sort of secluded, quiet spot so they can enjoy the great outdoors for a few days. Most of these folks can do without all the creature comforts of home and don't miss their 50" TV, tablets and Pads, and smart phones.

However, within this "nature-loving" groups you will still find those who, for a variety of reasons, still need and want to watch TV or look at one of those "screens" you described in your post. Friends of ours who we go camping with from time-to-time, just spent over $2000 installing an automatic, roof mounted satellite system (plus monthly subscription fees) so they can watch TV after they have enough nature. If they didn't have their TV, they would be both bored and lost.

And then we have those that really don't care too much for "nature" but are more interested in checking out the closest malls and perhaps the local tourist attractions and then returning to their units to watch cable TV, text, or sit by the CG swimming pool and catch some rays. For them, boon docking or dry camping are things to avoid at all costs. Full hookups (including screens) all the way, all the time.

To a large extent, I believe that today, more and more people, especially the "younger generation" need to have some sort of screen in front of them, or held in their hands. It is not only an addiction but is now engrained in our culture. We are living in world of increasing social and emotional disconnect with our friends and family - and communicate more and more by electronic media than we do talking face-to-face.

I'm sure we have all seen a young family or group of young people come into a restaurant, sit down at a booth and bring out their smart phone and start texting. Not a word is exchanged amongst them. Nobody talks anymore. If you took their phones away they'd all start twitching and fidgeting - showing signs of withdrawal.

I know, I'm "old" and don't get it.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
allmi01

All I can add to what John and Festus have said is AMEN!!!!!

I know I qualify for the "gotta have the screen" crowd from time to time however, there is no substitute for being outdoors, sitting around a campfire with friends and family and just talking.

In fact, most of our friends get together on Saturday nights in the winter and sit in front of my fireplace, have a few cold ones and talk. No screens in that room.

In days past, I saw folks who went to the local cffee shop to sit with friends and read the newspaper. No talking, just everyone reading the paper. Not a lot different than today.

Mike
Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

There is even a recognized disease now:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomophobia

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote