Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
jscott

Smile Blackwater tank problem

I have a new Bullet Premier Travel trailer. I have only used it once and had a problem the black water tank. Directly below the toilet it appears that there is some type of shelf or ledge and TP and other items build up there and clog the opening instead of washing away. Is this actually a shelf/ledge or is it the bottom of the black water tank? Is there someplace to get a diagram of the black water tank for my RV? I really don't need my toilet clogging up every time I use it for more that just liquids. Thanks
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most black tanks are only 7" to 10" deep, about 40" long and 18" to 24" wide. The toilet often dumps into the tank on the shallow end (It's built slightly deeper on the end that has the valve to dump) so there's not a lot of "speed or volume" to carry the waste away from where it plops. Most people add 4 or 5 gallons of water after dumping their tank and usually make sure there's a quantity of water with the solids when flushing. The toilet paper should be an "RV grade" paper, meaning it will dissolve in water, not stay in one piece and clump where it lands. Toilet paper is one of the biggest problems with any holding tank, so make sure you don't use the "stay in one piece" kind.

There is no "shelf", and what you're waste is landing on is the bottom of the black tank.

Here is a link to a black tank so you can see the dimensions:

http://tweetys.com/abs-holding-tank-...Fe5aMgodIC4ANQ

There are several other tanks on that site, so you can see the relatives dimensions of all of them.

It would probably benefit you, since you have some buildup under the toilet now, is to turn the water off, open the toilet dump ball valve, take a stick or broomhandle and push that pile away from the area before it dries in place. Once it dries, it will be difficult and a very unpleasant task to chip it away. Be careful not to push too hard on the bottom of the tank, you can puncture it if you're too aggressive.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
BulletOwner1

I agree, it's the bottom of the tank. If you are hooked up to services doesn't hurt to use extra water when flushing.

When I clean my tank I have two wand devices, one with just a hole in the end, and one with a rotating nozzle, that I use to 'stir the pot' and clean the tank of buildup. This also helps keep the level sensors clean, sort of. It's not a fun job but better than dealing with plugged up or non working systems.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
jscott

Thumbs up Blackwater tank problems

Thank you for the quick reply, I will take all of the suggestions to heart. I am a new RV'er so I am sure I have much to learn. Good to know there are experienced campers I can call on for advice. Happy Camping.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote