Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
fred1609

2011 f350

|I've been looking at 2011 F350 Diesels....and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a nice looking lariat with 30k miles....I've researched this engine, the 6.7 and haven't heard anything bad about it.....Anybody have any opinions? Oh and the price is good as well....I think what I am starting to see is some of the lease returns coming back.....This would be an upgrade from an 06 F350.......6.0 (fixlitre)......yeah yeah I know all about the 6 litre. I've replaced two turbos, high pressure oil pump, one inter cooler....thankfully all under extended warranty which runs out in September....which explains my interest in the 2011 F350.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
TandE

They are extremely nice trucks. My dad has a 2012 f350 that I made the mistake of driving it one day and I want one. It would also replace a for 6.0. Although I don't have any problems with my 6.0 at 163k miles it would be nice to have a crew cab.

I have heard of turbo problems but don't know how widespread they are. My dad's just had a cel on and it turned out to be something with the emissions system and would have cost him 5000 just for the part if it wasn't covered under warranty. All the new trucks seem to have replacement parts that are high dollar amounts so a good warranty (if can be found) in my opinion is a must.

I know it only has 30000 miles but the 5 year 100000 is almost up.

There are some other problems I've heard of but it has been mostly Internet jibber jabber from the minority.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Hansel

The 6.7L where having an oil crystallizing issue due too the oil temps being high when the engine was shut down, and this was eating turbo's. I think Ford has addressed the issue but I'm not sure I think the new engine just has way too much junk on it, just look at the exhaust system that's another thing killing these engine's.

Sorry for being negative, I'm just not a fan of the new diesel. I've had such great success with my 7.3L and have no desire for a new diesel, but when I am reading for a new diesel I'm sure the 6.7L will be replaced by then.

I know you have researched the 6.7L but here are some good forums too look at:

Powerstroke.org
Powerstroke Nation
The Diesel Stop
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
fred1609

I would love to have a tried and true 7.3 litre......but I need the tow capacity and the older models don't have them.....plus the mileage would be up there now.....I would think that any rig would need to be cooled down for a bit before shutting down to prevent cooking the oil on the bearings of the turbo....anybody else have comments about the new 6.7?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

THAT'S RIGHT Cool down and warm up take care of your turbo let the engine idle while you turn everything off un buckel the seat belt open the door then shut her off takes about 1/2 - 3/4 of a min. that way the turbo spools down and cooler oil takes away the heat.I have done this since i got my 78 saab turbo (still have it) and the other 4 turbos i own. all have the original turbo. and use a good oil change it often and enjoy the truck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Javi

Yep... love mine wouldn't consider any other current or past and I've owned several including 3 Cummins powered trucks...

DEF is a non issue, do I like dealing with it... NO I don't like it anymore than I do seat belts, or smog crap, or trucks that talk back at you... but that's cause I'm old and from a time before the government decided it was more suited to telling us how to live than we are at thinking for ourselves..

Most of the folks complaining about turbos and fuel systems on the 6.7 are either driving them like they just stole them or doing stupid stuff like pouring DEF into the fuel, filling up with gas or at at little mom & pop stations that don't do enough volume to keep water out of the tanks..

Personally I don't see the validity of a tune on a pickup that produces 400 hp and 800 Ft lbs of torque and I suspect those who do are hot rodding and then blaming the design for trashing the turbo..

Drive em and take care of them like you would any good tool and they'll do just fine for many years...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yep... love mine wouldn't consider any other current or past and I've owned several including 3 Cummins powered trucks...

DEF is a non issue, do I like dealing with it... NO I don't like it anymore than I do seat belts, or smog crap, or trucks that talk back at you... but that's cause I'm old and from a time before the government decided it was more suited to telling us how to live than we are at thinking for ourselves..

Most of the folks complaining about turbos and fuel systems on the 6.7 are either driving them like they just stole them or doing stupid stuff like pouring DEF into the fuel, filling up with gas or at at little mom & pop stations that don't do enough volume to keep water out of the tanks..

Personally I don't see the validity of a tune on a pickup that produces 400 hp and 800 Ft lbs of torque and I suspect those who do are hot rodding and then blaming the design for trashing the turbo..

Drive em and take care of them like you would any good tool and they'll do just fine for many years...

I agree completely. Everything that's mechanical has design parameters in which it was designed to operate. Diesel engines are no different than aircraft engines in that respect. When Ford (or any other designer) engineers a new conceptual engine, they design in the operating parameters. Then in testing they confirm that the calculations designed in are valid. Once the engine's performance/power/durability parameters are established, the manufacturer makes a determination on how far they are willing to push performance and still maintain durability. That "happy medium" is where the "factory tune" is usually established. It will provide the "safety net" for the engine while providing power sufficient to meet "most" requirements. That's why airplanes are "designed to fly at 600MPH at 100% power and operate at 475MPH at 80% power.

When an owner/operator decides to "squeeze more" out of the engine by adding a "performance tune" or a "power tune" or an "econcomy tune" they install operating parameters that are no longer "down the middle" and push one component of the operating environment closer to the "failure margin" in order to "tweek" one component for more "umph".

Doing that might still produce an "operable engine" for a while, but too often will push the engine parmameters to the failure point in one area in order to maximize something else. The engine can no longer "protect itself by design" and is subject to failure rates higher than the engineers intended. It's not, as Javi said, the engine, it's the operator that made it fail.

Maybe that's why all the manufacturers say, if you install a "tune" it will void your warranty. ????? Just a thought.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
geo

Fred1609 -

I'll throw my two cents in on this discussion, even if it might once again spark the "dreaded truck wars"!

I ordered and received one of the first 2011 Ford F-350s in north Texas. In fact, in the next couple of weeks, it will be 4 years since I ordered it, and come May 4th, it will be 4 years since I received it and have been driving it since. It now has some 62K miles on it.

In short, my wife and I love it! It is one fantastic truck - comfortable, versatile, easy to drive . . . just great!

I have found the conversations and thoughts on Powerstroke.Org, Powerstroke Nation, and The Diesel Stop to be pretty much biased and worthless. Those three forums seem to revel in being the center for "truck wars". Of course, this is only my own opinion - and others will disagree. But a simple post some 3.5 years ago concerning an announced DEF pump recall brought be some 30+ flaming comments about how my truck was a "piece of %^(" and Ford should be put out of business - all over a simple post about a recall.

Yes, in any truck, car, motorcycle, go-cart, etc., one will see - as SAABDOCTOR mentions - that oil temperatures will increase if the engine is immediately shut down when pulling a heavy load. If one reads the supplied Ford manual, one will see that Ford RECOMMENDS idleing the engine for 10 minutes after pulling a heavy load - like my 20,000 pound fifth wheel. For me, that is an easy matter - I park the fiver and start to deploy the Lippert 6-point, I pull the truck forward and leave the AC/heat on to keep the dogs comfortable while my DW and I set up the RV and deploy the sides. It doesn't burn hardly any diesel on idle, and it does maintain the engine as the suggested manufacturer's recommendation.

I love the new Ford designed and built turbo diesel! (I am not a fan of the previous NavStar/International Harvester diesels . . . sorry.) I especially like the thought of the DEF along with a silicon based exhaust reactor. I guess I'm just of that generation who wanted to save the Earth and bring more peaceful times. I like the fact that the exhaust reactor contains no Rare Earth minerals from China, rather it contains American and Canadian silica minerals which act as a catalyst to combine the NOx with water and urea so that the exhaust from my F-350 is water vapor, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen. Javi is correct that many of the truck problems are caused by "user error". I tend to doubt if many owners check their first stage fuel filter for water monthly as outlined in the Owner's Manual. Very simple, easy procedure. As far as putting DEF in the diesel tank . . . REALLY???? If you can't figure that one out, should you be out on the road driving, period?

I like the engineering of the diesel engine that delivers more power to the turbo and thus, more power to truck.

As both Saabdoctor and JRTJH said, if you care for your vehicle and follow recommended maintenance and operating outlines, you will probably be happy with the vehicle.

So, YES! I am very happy with my 2011 Ford F-350 and plan to drive it many tens of thousands more miles with and without a 20,000# fiver. I have had one recall - for a problem DEF pump, and one recall for a computer chip update - boosting the horsepower and torque. I currently have one problem and it is my first problem - the DEF tank sensor has malfunctioned - tells me my DEF level is low when it is full - and that is being replaced on warranty. Just waiting on a new sensor to arrive at Bill Utter Ford in Denton, TX. In the five years of ownership, I think my biggest problem I have had is keeping my daughter from taking my truck to pull her horse trailer! Gotta watch that girl!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

THAT'S IT IN NUT SHELL maintanance!! Turth be told if anything happens to my Dodge i would seriously look at a new Ford too. My Doge had one recall for the truck not being in Park even though the miu said it was. the program update was that if you open the door with the engine running and it's not in park all the way. When you take your foot off the horn would blow and the lights flash. so now i can back into a parking spot with the door open! Nothing like fixing the problem. now i have a switch to turn the horn off if i need to! ok i vented thanks enjoy the new to you Ford! best of luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
jje1960

F350 2011

Quite simply, the 'Beast' has been really awesome! Factory ordered, picked up in September of 2010, have 32K miles on it and it's been a dream pulling machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	5149   Click image for larger version

Name:	the beast sm.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	5150  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
mr.windows1

I'm driving a 2011 F350 every day for work and play! 75,500 miles and absolutely been fantastic,DEF isn't a big issue once your used to it, the warning system gives you plenty of time once it's low, I would highly recommend this truck to any one, just my 2cents.
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree completely. Everything that's mechanical has design parameters in which it was designed to operate. Diesel engines are no different than aircraft engines in that respect. When Ford (or any other designer) engineers a new conceptual engine, they design in the operating parameters. Then in testing they confirm that the calculations designed in are valid. Once the engine's performance/power/durability parameters are established, the manufacturer makes a determination on how far they are willing to push performance and still maintain durability. That "happy medium" is where the "factory tune" is usually established. It will provide the "safety net" for the engine while providing power sufficient to meet "most" requirements. That's why airplanes are "designed to fly at 600MPH at 100% power and operate at 475MPH at 80% power.

When an owner/operator decides to "squeeze more" out of the engine by adding a "performance tune" or a "power tune" or an "econcomy tune" they install operating parameters that are no longer "down the middle" and push one component of the operating environment closer to the "failure margin" in order to "tweek" one component for more "umph".

Doing that might still produce an "operable engine" for a while, but too often will push the engine parmameters to the failure point in one area in order to maximize something else. The engine can no longer "protect itself by design" and is subject to failure rates higher than the engineers intended. It's not, as Javi said, the engine, it's the operator that made it fail.

Maybe that's why all the manufacturers say, if you install a "tune" it will void your warranty. ????? Just a thought.....
I agree but also disagree, I agree that there are limits to our engines but they also have what I feel is a acceptable range of going above the stock tune. I have tuned my truck with a PHP Hydra and all my tunes are low on the power because I don't want too tear stuff up but a little extra performance is nice. I'm not some irresponsible person looking too make my engine fail by running around with an extra 140hp tune, but I do run a 65hp tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Fred1609 -

I'll throw my two cents in on this discussion, even if it might once again spark the "dreaded truck wars"!

I ordered and received one of the first 2011 Ford F-350s in north Texas. In fact, in the next couple of weeks, it will be 4 years since I ordered it, and come May 4th, it will be 4 years since I received it and have been driving it since. It now has some 62K miles on it.

In short, my wife and I love it! It is one fantastic truck - comfortable, versatile, easy to drive . . . just great!

I have found the conversations and thoughts on Powerstroke.Org, Powerstroke Nation, and The Diesel Stop to be pretty much biased and worthless. Those three forums seem to revel in being the center for "truck wars". Of course, this is only my own opinion - and others will disagree. But a simple post some 4.5 years ago concerning an announced DEF pump recall brought be some 30+ flaming comments about how my truck was a "piece of %^(" and Ford should be put out of business - all over a simple post about a recall.

Yes, in any truck, car, motorcycle, go-cart, etc., one will see - as SAABDOCTOR mentions - that oil temperatures will increase if the engine is immediately shut down when pulling a heavy load. If one reads the supplied Ford manual, one will see that Ford RECOMMENDS idleing the engine for 10 minutes after pulling a heavy load - like my 20,000 pound fifth wheel. For me, that is an easy matter - I park the fiver and start to deploy the Lippert 6-point, I pull the truck forward and leave the AC/heat on to keep the dogs comfortable while my DW and I set up the RV and deploy the sides. It doesn't burn hardly any diesel on idle, and it does maintain the engine as the suggested manufacturer's recommendation.

I love the new Ford designed and built turbo diesel! (I am not a fan of the previous NavStar/International Harvester diesels . . . sorry.) I especially like the thought of the DEF along with a silicon based exhaust reactor. I guess I'm just of that generation who wanted to save the Earth and bring more peaceful times. I like the fact that the exhaust reactor contains no Rare Earth minerals from China, rather it contains American and Canadian silica minerals which act as a catalyst to combine the NOx with water and urea so that the exhaust from my F-350 is water vapor, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen. Javi is correct that many of the truck problems are caused by "user error". I tend to doubt if many owners check their first stage fuel filter for water monthly as outlined in the Owner's Manual. Very simple, easy procedure. As far as putting DEF in the diesel tank . . . REALLY???? If you can't figure that one out, should you be out on the road driving, period?

I like the engineering of the diesel engine that delivers more power to the turbo and thus, more power to truck.

As both Saabdoctor and JRTJH said, if you care for your vehicle and follow recommended maintenance and operating outlines, you will probably be happy with the vehicle.

So, YES! I am very happy with my 2011 Ford F-350 and plan to drive it many tens of thousands more miles with and without a 20,000# fiver. I have had one recall - for a problem DEF pump, and one recall for a computer chip update - boosting the horsepower and torque. I currently have one problem and it is my first problem - the DEF tank sensor has malfunctioned - tells me my DEF level is low when it is full - and that is being replaced on warranty. Just waiting on a new sensor to arrive at Bill Utter Ford in Denton, TX. In the five years of ownership, I think my biggest problem I have had is keeping my daughter from taking my truck to pull her horse trailer! Gotta watch that girl!

Ron
I have learned a ton of information from those forums you feel are worthless, so I hope you don't ever have a problem and search out those forums for a fix because it just could save you a trip too the stealership.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
Al Sandoval

Got a F 350 Diesel Dully. Pull my Fuzion toy hauler all over the US
And not one Problem pulls great
If don't watch the speed you be running in 80 MpH
Al Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
fred1609

Thankyou all so much for the great info....today I sold my 06 F350 and bought the 2011 F350....picking it up tomorrow...Thanks again for the great info....
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
Thankyou all so much for the great info....today I sold my 06 F350 and bought the 2011 F350....picking it up tomorrow...Thanks again for the great info....
Congrat's

We need pics.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
jje1960

F350

Cool! Please post a pic!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
Diesel Dude

I go thru a lot of trucks. I don't want to I just have to (that's what I tell the wife at least) I have owned a 2011 ford powerstroke, 2011 duramax, 2012 cummins,2013 ford powerstroke and now a 14 ford powerstroke. Hands down you will love the powerstroke for towing. The entire truck is great only thing I wish it had was a real exhaust brake but that is coming for the 2015 model. You can not go wrong with the 6.7 powerstroke. Fuel pumps were an issue early on but not an issue with good fuel especially on the west coast where we have more additives in our fuel. My suggestion buy it you will not be disappointed.
Diesel Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Hey Brian,

Man you do go through a lot of trucks. Next time you decide to "dump one" Give me a yell, I'll come running No need to just get rid of them, some of us would be happy to help you get them out of the garage

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #19
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hey Brian,

Man you do go through a lot of trucks. Next time you decide to "dump one" Give me a yell, I'll come running No need to just get rid of them, some of us would be happy to help you get them out of the garage
Really, I will take a hand me down 2014 6.7L when you get that 2015 SD"
Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Really, I will take a hand me down 2014 6.7L when you get that 2015 SD"
Yup, that "generosity" really does give the term, "NEW TO YOU" a happy chime

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS