Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
FullTimer

Unhappy Prepare for another big round of weather

I'm not trying to panic people, but I just checked the radar, it looks like we have the potential for a multi state ice storm in the next 48 to 72 hours. We have the Pineapple Express in the west, funneling a ton of moisture in behind the last cold front, from the west. Rather like an open door. This is instant snow and ice.

My advice FWIW, stock up for a substantial weather event, starting here in Oklahoma Monday, including possible loss of power, and Tuesday through Friday farther west. Arkansas was hit Friday late and Saturday, pretty severe ice storm, snapping power poles, as well as folks along the east coast still trying to get power back from the last round. This morning, Sunday, Tulsa has a thin ice layer from freezing rain. So we're right at freezing now, with a light misting rain occurring.

I know we're all getting pretty tired of this constant barrage of weather, but I wanted to reach out and get ahead of what I consider a dangerous situation. I called the 2008 ice storm, 3 days before it occurred. I called the mega storm two years later, of almost 5 days of snow. I called the ice storm a month ago, 4 days before. I assure you guys, I don't call this one lightly. My family has learned from experience, not to ignore my weather advice. I hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am.

FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
BillnDeb

Thanks for the forecast!
We should have checked with you before we decided to spend Thanksgiving in Panama City Beach-it was below 30 degrees, then spent Christmas and New Years in central Va and Myrtle Beach-both had many nights below 30! It's crazy out there! We're staying in our warm home here in sunny south central Florida!
Global warming! We'd sure welcome it!
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com
BillnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnDeb View Post
Thanks for the forecast!
We should have checked with you before we decided to spend Thanksgiving in Panama City Beach-it was below 30 degrees, then spent Christmas and New Years in central Va and Myrtle Beach-both had many nights below 30! It's crazy out there! We're staying in our warm home here in sunny south central Florida!
Global warming! We'd sure welcome it!
I know huh, what I have been seeing, blows even me away lol. Peoples electric bills on the east coast are starting to hit now, Some quadrupled, some even higher than that, sad situation. What makes this so potentially dangerous to me is the temps, along the moisture corridor, it's hovering at freezing or right below, which means the rain will fall as water, then freeze on contact. Farther north above Kansas, it's low enough to fall as sleet or snow. Then above that, we're seeing single digit temps. Plus the express is pouring moisture into these sub freezing temperatures. It's like putting more fuel on the fire, so to speak.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
FullTimer

Weathermen are watching this closely, they honestly aren't sure how bad it will get. But I just ran across confirmation on my prediction. Weather advisories are going out now for Tn, Ala, Ark, everything in the path of this.
Winter Storm for South, East This Week Could Signal a Pattern Change
A large, slow-moving storm may affect the Southern and Eastern states this week with snow, ice and rain. However, the storm may ultimately be a pattern changer.

Before this storm impacts the eastern half of the United States, another will spread accumulating snow across the Northeast on Sunday.

Then, a storm that is forecast to brew could cause major problems.

According to Southern Weather Expert Dan Kottlowski, "Lingering cold air and plenty of moisture could lead to an extended period of snow and ice in portions of the South this week."
The setup could bring a couple of days of precipitation over the Gulf Coast states to Tennessee and the Carolinas. Some of that precipitation will fall as snow and ice over the interior.

The snow and ice first reach places in and around Oklahoma on Monday.

"A number of communities over the interior South may have more significant, longer-lasting ice and snow when compared to the storm from late January," Kottlowski said.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...xt-we/23046254
Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
Javi

Y'all please feel free to keep that crap up yonder above the Red will ya' I need to get to crappie fishing..
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Y'all please feel free to keep that crap up yonder above the Red will ya' I need to get to crappie fishing..
Yup, That's one of the big things I miss about Louisiana. Mid-February is the peak of crappie fishing. A livewell full of minnows, a cane pole, 6 lb test line, a cork bobber and fish in 6" of water next to the bank. Fill an ice chest full of slabs in an hour...... Man oh man, maybe I need to start working on that pole barn door today

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Outbackmel

Rubbing it in

Here in Okeechobbe, FL, windows in RV open, door open, was cool this morning, low 60's, ugh....hate that COLD.

Next days: (sun)

mon: 79
tue: 81
wed: 81
thurs: 73 breaking out the heavy coats for this one.

Going back to Atlanta in early March following a 3 day visit to Camp Wilderness in Disney!

Getting the itch to ride my Harley in those beautiful N Georgia mountains early spring.....

Life is good.....retirement is GREAT!!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
FullTimer

I saw a few tiny flakes outside earlier, but wanted to share how fast this is changing.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Wantoride

I'm no weatherman but this winter in the midatlantic region has been tough for us, especially on heating bills. We never loose power where I live but last Wednesday we did, didn't get it back till Friday afternoon. We have an almanac here locally, the hagerstown town and country almanac. The weather prognosticator is associated with mt. St. Mary's college in Emmitsburg, at least he was. This year he has been on target! It may vary a bit as to whether it's snow rain or ice but for the precip and temps he's been pretty close. He was calling for a blizzard 8-10 this week but we got ice, a lot of it. He's calling for snow north this coming weekend of the 14th After that on the 21-22 he's calling for a nor'easter. For what it's worth!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
dandjh1958

Those three storms just came through Oregon and dropped more snow than we've seen here in years. I live in the valley which means mild winter and mild summer....... 12 inches in my front yard and the City of Salem Oregon has had mandatory chains required for the past two days. We don't have snowplows- just a couple of sanders that have been trying to keep I-5 from being the ice rink it has been.

Stock up on supplies while you can then bundle up and stay put!

No camping for a while..... Next week looks good through..... mid 40's so all the snow should melt quickly which means localized flooding.......
Stay safe friends!!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #11
FullTimer

Yep, saw the Oregon warnings. Chains required IN town, wow. Two blasts came through here, just glancing us to the north of Tulsa yesterday. But hammering everything in it's path. VERY fast. I think it's coming through in littler storms, vs a huge one I was concerned with. That's a good thing. But they are dumping tons of snow as they go. Floods are now being warned about. The general rule of thumb is for every foot of snow, you get one inch of water. So we will probably be seeing flooding conditions, as all these repeated storms start to melt soon. Lake Michigan is almost 85 percent frozen over, with about 80 percent of the others frozen as well. Can you say Little Ice Age?

Here's an radar capture from this morning, with the yellow line and annotations to show the moisture trail. Yes, those are negative temps shown.
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

We are having a 'virtual heatwave" this morning. It's -2 which is the warmest it's been before noon in over 2 weeks. So far, this is the 'warmest" day we've had since December. It's forecast to go up to 18. The last time it was above 20 was Jan 16th and the next forcast day above 32 is sometime in mid-March.

COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We are having a 'virtual heatwave" this morning. It's -2 which is the warmest it's been before noon in over 2 weeks. So far, this is the 'warmest" day we've had since December. It's forecast to go up to 18. The last time it was above 20 was Jan 16th and the next forcast day above 32 is sometime in mid-March.

COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John,
I see you are not the only one praying for springtime....
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

I Really donot trust the weathermen! I do trust my two malamutes, they get greasy like a coating of Brillcream on their fur. the thicker it gets the worse the storm is. Now both dogs are having a "bad hair day" and the storm is 3 days off! i am taking precautions. they were like this before the big blizzard last year and the Halloween storm 2 years ago! the big dog Alyeska gets real excited before a storm she love to play in the snow. thanks for the confermation of whats to come. looks like the tractor will get another work out. Be safe all spring can come anytime now
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote