Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagitstan View Post
The 36g gas tank is also really a good thing. Almost 600 mile range when not towing.
I agree, except when you hit the gas station... . Love the ECB.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #22
EcoboostKev

I've owned mine for over 2 1/2 yrs now and 31,000 mi. 8200 of those miles were towing my 32' Outback 292bh. I couldn't be happier with this trucks towing performance and all around comfort! Ford has hit it out of the park with this setup!!

https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
dschamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
I've owned mine for over 2 1/2 yrs now and 31,000 mi. 8200 of those miles were towing my 32' Outback 292bh. I couldn't be happier with this trucks towing performance and all around comfort! Ford has hit it out of the park with this setup!!

Love the looks of the 20's, but hate the ride. Nice rig!
Firestone bags
dschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
pull it with a 2011 Ecoboost screw. 5.5 box and 3:73 gearing average from 6 mpg in the mountains to 9 mpg on the flats.
^^This is similar to a report from a friend towing with one.

The following issues scared me off as there are enough reports to substantiate a problem. If you care to start at this link and follows it a bit.
As stated earlier it takes a while to iron out the kinks but clearly many happy folks towing with these rigs.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-ec...killed-178809/
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #25
skagitstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
^^This is similar to a report from a friend towing with one.

The following issues scared me off as there are enough reports to substantiate a problem. If you care to start at this link and follows it a bit.
As stated earlier it takes a while to iron out the kinks but clearly many happy folks towing with these rigs.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-ec...killed-178809/
If you look at the dates in that link, the last post was in Feb of 2013, almost a year ago. Also, the sig lines of most of the folks show '12 model year trucks.

I was kinda concerned about this also, when I was doing the research before I bought my truck at the end of '12. I made sure that it was build after the date of the Nov. '12 fix to the IC & radiator shield.

It appears that most folks with problems have been in pre Nov '12 builds, and then in places with combined high heat & humidity. Since the Pacific Northwet doesn't usually get humid when it's hot, or hot when it's humid, I figured the good specs and otherwise good reviews outweighed the risk.

So far, the turbo has worked flawlessly. Just wait though, now that I've opened my yap, the truck will probably go BOOM tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Western Traveler

Stan,
I noticed most of the problems were from old blog posts with the one 2013 guy commenting it had happened to him. For me I knew I wasn't going to buy new so it concerned me. Ford supposedly has a fix for the older models but it is still too early to tell from what I have read.
A friend recently purchased new and reported 6 mpg in mountains 8/9 flat desert and that was a concern for me as well (due to our history and hope of continuing to do trips of 1000+ miles at a time). Naturally he was promised way better mileage by the salesman Understandably he is pretty bummed out about.

EVERYONE else I have talked to seem to love them!

I am sure yours will serve you well. Here's to safe travels in the New Year for everyone and their TV of choice.
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Western Traveler,

I just read your post and can definitely understand your friend's disappointment in his mileage. You might want to let your friend know that there is a computer program upgrade that may well fix his truck's mileage issue. Well, that is depending on how he's driving and what he's towing. If he's pulling a 10K RV up a mountain pass at 65MPH against a headwind, he's not going to get the same mileage as someone towing the same rig up that pass at 45-50 without the headwind. But, if he's consistently getting poor mileage (most are getting 8.5-10.5 depending on speed and load) he might want to talk to his service manager (probably not the service advisor) and see if his computer has the latest upgrades.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #28
Husker991

Love my Ecoboost

I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with the Ecoboost. I have the towing package and offroad pack and it pulls my 2013 Keystone Passport Elite 32FB wonderfully. I can't say that we've had any issues and that the trailer towed like a dream.

I live in Colorado so we've taken several trips up the mountains with no disappointment at all. That being said, I'm not a big complainer so I'm sure someone would find something to complain about.

We've had nothing but fun after upgrading from a Springdale and found that the 35 foot Passport pulled significantly easier than the 28 foot Springdale...no idea why, just a blessing I guess.

The Ecoboost is a great everyday truck as well. I'm averaging 17 plus some change in town and around 26 on the interstate. Pulling through the mountains has been around 12 so far.

I heard Chevy has a version of the Ecoboost coming out this year which will probably be a good one too. I know the Ecoboost had some bumps in the road the first couple years they were released. I'm sure the Chevy version will too.

I think if you're interested, go check it out. Some people will love the EcoBoost and others won't. I went in not wanting a 6 cylinder, but I was swayed after reading a lot and talking to some owners.

Check it out and make your educated decision. Mine was going with the Ecoboost, but I think you can justify it either way. Good luck.
Jeff
Husker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #29
Husker991

Beautiful set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post

What a great set up. Looks amazing and I'm sure performs like a champ.
Husker991 is offline   Reply With Quote