Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
MikeES

Active Sway Control WD Hitch

Our new trailer is a Sprinter 26RBS somewhat heavier than our old trailer. I pull the trailer with a 2011 Avalanche, with a Pro-Eagle WD hitch.
I have some issue in windy conditions with trailer sway.
I am not too interested in a the separate sway control, as most campers I know and talk to, at some time forget to detach it before backing up and bending it.
I am thinking of upgrading to either a Reese Strait-Line or a Husky Center-Line hitch. I like the idea of these hitches than the other "friction" style hitches for sway control.
Does anyone have any input on either of these hitches and if one is preferred over the other?

Thanks,
Mike
MikeES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
alexsbuddy

Husky

I just bought an '01 Sprnter 274RLS and the seller threw in with the deal a Husky Centerline. I have only limited experience with it but am very impressed. Trailer pulled straight and true and had no issues with sway. Easy to install and hookup.
alexsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
unyalli

I went from an Equal-i-zer sway resisting hitch to the Propride sway eliminating hitch and will never turn back for conventional towing.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
I went from an Equal-i-zer sway resisting hitch to the Propride sway eliminating hitch and will never turn back for conventional towing.

Jeff
I agree. I picked up a used Hensley Arrow for $500 and won't go back to anything but the Hensley or a Propride.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
dankent

I have to say the Husky centerline did a great job on my 1500's and 2500 RAMs with the 2012 255RKS Sprinter. They are built strong and not once did i experience a failure with it.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
MikeES

Thanks everyone for the responses. Searching the internet found that the drawback to the Husky Centerline requires perfect inline between the truck and trailer for hook up or disconnect. With that in mind and where we park the trailer and especially camping in state and federal parks with smaller camp sites, I cannot always be inline. So I decided on the Reese Strait-Line WD hitch.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
MikeES

Update: The Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam WD hitch was very disappointing.
The sway was much worse than with my Eagle WD hitch with no sway control! It was white knuckles on any speed over 50 mph.
I followed the directions exactly.
The only thing that I am wondering is my Eagle hitch was 800# and the Reese hitch is 1200#. Even though the truck is sitting exactly the same if feels like the rear tires don't have as much weight on them. I tried several different links on the trunion arm chains with little or no difference.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
RGene7001

I can only suggest to give a second look to separate sway bar setup. Yes, the are making a lot of noise during turns, should be disengaged before back up, should be retightened frequently and so on. However, they are simple, cheap and they work by PREVENTING sway rather the by reacting to sway which already started and their action doesn't depend on hitch weight which may be affected by porpoising. I can keep my hitch as light as I want
My setup was recommended and performed by the top RV outfitter and he has only 2 types of hitches in his shop: Eaz Lift for most cases and Hensley for the most challenging setups.
The bigger problem may be very soft rear suspension of the Avalanche which is unable to control the heavier trailer.
I hope it will help.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
MikeES

Thanks Gene, I did change trucks and TT at about the same time. My new Avalanche has the rear air suspension, which makes it difficult to find the right adjustment for the WD. I should have tried the least expensive and simple solution first...I will try now.

Mike