Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
EricLynnAllison

Tire monitoring systems

I'm looking for a tire pressure monitoring system. I've looked at many, all seem somewhat similar. Anybody have one they would not recommend?
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
ftwildernessguy

I don't know about any I would NOT recommend, but I do like my tire systems technology system. I have owned it for 3 years, scrolls through all the trailer and tow vehicle pressures and temps. I just changed the sensor batteries this season. I would recommend one that has replaceable batteries in the sensors.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
MIKEPATC

Love mt TST 507 TPMS

Yup ... Love my TST 507 system with the flow thru sensors for my truck and TT.
Has already saved me once with a slow leak on a trailer tire.
You would be surprised how much tire pressure changes with towing speed and temperature.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I'm happy with my $219 TireTraker system.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
chris199

Am very happy with the TST system. Can set targets, ranges of mins and maxes, alarms, rotates thru all tires to monitor pressure and temp.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
W.E.BGood

I recently installed my TST507 system right before we left for a 1,500 mile round trip excursion. It did a fine job, even warned me of one tire's excessive pressure due to the significant increase in ambient temps from when I first aired-up. I debated, but didn't have time to get metal valve stems installed as I'd seen suggested on some other sites. Well, I'd DEFINITELY recommend it...see attached pix.

My typical speed range was 57 to 61 MPH with a few incidents of 68-70 MPH for short (<30 seconds each time) due to steep descents.
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
chuck&gail

Not recommend? Nope, although personally I do not buy stuff made in China if I can help it.

I love my American made, American supported, Pressure Pro. Sensors do not have customer replaceable batteries, but sensors are $30 with an exchange. Haven't tried exchanging yet as my sensors are still working great after six years of continuous use.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
Personally I do not buy stuff made in China if I can help it.

I love my American made, American supported, Pressure Pro.

LOL, Pressure Pro has been manufactured in China since 2005: http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...-inks-china-jv

PressurePro also signed a development and manufacturing deal with Shenzhen Hangsheng Electronics Co. Ltd. to design and manufacture its TPMS products for worldwide distribution.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.BGood View Post
I debated, but didn't have time to get metal valve stems installed as I'd seen suggested on some other sites. Well, I'd DEFINITELY recommend it
At 65 mph, the centripetal force on a stem-mounted sensor is over 100 G's---over one hundred times the force of gravity. In other words, the typical sensor exerts 3-8 pounds of force on the valve stem! Rubber stems don't like this. Not so sure metal ones do either.

OP, if you're concerned about this, compare the sensor weights of the various systems. The lighter the better.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

I HAVE THE TST 507 LOVE THEM the ones on the camper are on metal stems the ones on the truck are rubber stems. no issues. the stems are still straight. and 100g's the stems would be in someone ealses tire!. one thing I do different is the anti theft caps are removed. when i park the camper at my site i unscrew them. this shuts the battery off and on my truck it is at my work or home so i am not worried about being stolen. i will agree the anti theft caps are heavy so that my be why i don't have the saging stems.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

EricLynnAllison -

Regardless of which brand you end up buying, I would recommend metal valve stems. In the literature I received with our TPMS, it also suggested metal stems because the signal transmitted from the sensor placed on a full metal stem was more reliable than when mounted on a rubber stem. I have not experienced any erratic signals with the metal stems.

As far as having a 3-8 lb "weight" caused by centripetal force from the tire on the sensor, I have not noticed any unusual behavior in the tires. Perhaps another reason to get metal stems??
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
diugo
Permanent User Ban

The 3-8 pounds is a force, like wind blowing against a tree. The rubber stem is analogous to a palm tree, which can bend nearly horizontally in a hurricane, then return to vertical after the storm (when the vehicle comes to a stop). Unfortunately, unlike a palm tree, a rubber stem is simply not designed to be bent sideways, so slightly weakens every time the vehicle is accelerated.

The metal stem is like a mighty, rigid oak. Stress here is concentrated at the base of the stem, in the rubber grommet where it contacts the rim. The longer the stem---the taller the tree--- the greater the stress. This is why a short metal stem is preferable to a longer one. And why the grommet should be replaced every time the tire is serviced.

A 90-degree stem is a vast improvement, since both the height and radius of the sensor is reduced. Here, paradoxically, the longer the stem the better.

The ideal solution, believe it or not, is to locate the sensor at the center of rotation---in the very middle of the hubcap. Here the radius is zero, and thus so is the centripetal force. A flexible valve extension line is more practical than a really long 90-degree stem; this might actually be a fun mod!