Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #1
Rich.Cornwell

fresh water tank wont take water

I'm having a strange issue. i cant fill my fresh water tank. long story short, when we left 3 days ago we put the hose to fill the tank in for about 20 min. gauge didn't read that we had water but it was very cold so i figured the gauge didn't work.

Got to our spot and we had no water. so i attempted fill it again. temps above freezing now. but tank would only fill a 3rd of way. water never came out of vent like if it was full. the tank was drained and empty before we tried to fill it

seems to an obstruction somewhere in the fill line. anyone have any ideas?

camper is 22 raptor 415.

thanks in advance for any help
Rich.Cornwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:32 AM   #2
LHaven

From this video, you should be connecting your hose to "city fill" and then flipping your toggle down to "fill." If you leave it on "normal flow," you're just pressurizing your fixtures directly.

Sorry if you already know these basics, but I see it's your first post.

If that isn't working, your toggle switch may be malfunctioning. You should try it in both positions and see if and how your faucets run in each without your pump on.

Also, I'm not sure how that "winterize" switch works, but I'd keep my eye on it.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Is your fresh water tank gravity fill or is it the type you hook up your garden hose too and then flip a valve to fill the tank. Flip the valve the other way and run off your garden hose?

If the later, then the next question is?

How long have you been out of the freezing temperatures. If not long enough to completely thaw out, then you could still have an ice blockage.

Were you able to get any water in the tank? If you pop the tank drain, does any water come out?

Also, it's possible the "vent" is frozen over, causing a vacuum in the tank. That would account for filling partially and then it won't hold any more.

My first "guess" would be, not knowing your set-up, is, you still have an ice blockage somewhere in one of the lines or the vent.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Rich.Cornwell

whats odd. is it took some water but wouldn't fill it
Old 12-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
Rich.Cornwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
From this video, you should be connecting your hose to "city fill" and then flipping your toggle down to "fill." If you leave it on "normal flow," you're just pressurizing your fixtures directly.

Sorry if you already know these basics, but I see it's your first post.

If that isn't working, your toggle switch may be malfunctioning. You should try it in both positions and see if and how your faucets run in each without your pump on.

Also, I'm not sure how that "winterize" switch works, but I'd keep my eye on it.
what is odd is that it took a 3rd of a tank but would fill more than that
Old 12-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
Rich.Cornwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Is your fresh water tank gravity fill or is it the type you hook up your garden hose too and then flip a valve to fill the tank. Flip the valve the other way and run off your garden hose?

If the later, then the next question is?

How long have you been out of the freezing temperatures. If not long enough to completely thaw out, then you could still have an ice blockage.

Were you able to get any water in the tank? If you pop the tank drain, does any water come out?

Also, it's possible the "vent" is frozen over, causing a vacuum in the tank. That would account for filling partially and then it won't hold any more.

My first "guess" would be, not knowing your set-up, is, you still have an ice blockage somewhere in one of the lines or the vent.

the vent could be possible. i thought that too and pull the hose out for a bit trying to vent it. day temps have been 40s tp 50s. its 54 now

yes i got it about a 3rd full.. maybe i wil try it again today and see if more goes in.. wonder if i can get some water to run through the vent
Old 12-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
Maineiacs

There is a check valve in the fill line that might have had some frost in it. That stops the flow of water - trust me.

If you resort to using the vent tube, there is a little screen with a rubber grommet on it designed to keep out bugs. Don't lose it and don't forget to put it back in place.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
Rich.Cornwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
There is a check valve in the fill line that might have had some frost in it. That stops the flow of water - trust me.

If you resort to using the vent tube, there is a little screen with a rubber grommet on it designed to keep out bugs. Don't lose it and don't forget to put it back in place.
thank you everyone.. turn out it was a gauge issue.. it filled today but the level is wrong. not sure what happened when it was cold at home something must have been frozen

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water