Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i guess i’m just more cautious…i always assume the person i’m dealing with is a novice at best and dangerously stupid at worst when it comes to giving electrical advice… i work in live panels all the time and have done so for more then 35 years..I’m always extremely careful but over the years i’ve had a few screwdrivers get a chunk blown out of them from not paying attention….it can be a fireworks show

i’d at least tell the ems owner to turn off all appliances and heaters while doing any adjustments in the tight confines of the ems and wherever it’s located so it’s not drawing max amps

^^^^ 40+ years ago I was visiting my uncle that raised my dad, guess sort of a granddad. He was having some electrical problems and I ran some of it down to an old fuse box out back where the drop came in. Decided to do a mod on it working it hot. My screwdriver slipped and as you mentioned - boom went the end of the screwdriver, quite the little fireworks show and one thing I never thought of - all those hot metal fragments from the screwdriver and box hit my glasses. I always had glass lenses back then and it severely pitted both lenses - I was very surprised. When I got back home to get new glasses I told the optician about it and he said yep, glass lenses would pit but plastic wouldn't! Never knew that. These days about all you can get is plastic lenses of some kind or another but that was a learning experience that day.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 01:24 AM   #22
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I don't think the portable are adjustable.
I had one fried at a park to due their faulty wiring, thank goodness for the EMS. I tried to disassemble it but it was as though the case was glued together with VERY good glue or plastic welded, never did get it apart.
When our portable progressive PT30X saved our bacon just before a hurricane ran us away from Jekyll Island 2 years ago, I noticed water dripping from the unit when we got home. I received a replacement from Progressive, but then opened up the old unit and dried it out. It works fine now. I carry it as a backup on our trips. I used PB Blaster and a small screwdriver to get ours open.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote