Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
RJS3791RD

Timing Schwintek Slides with In Command

I have a 2022 3791RD with Legacy package. My rear slide ODS is out of time. I have found the instructions for resetting the timing. My question is regarding the In Command system. With the In Command system, the slides do not “over run” when holding your finder on the touch pad, like they do when using a mechanical switch. Do I need to use the by pass switch of the BCM to rest the timing? Also, I have read different article when they state to reset the timing when fully extended and I have read reset the timing on fully retracted. Is their a preferred method?
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

With InCommand do you just press and release or do you have to hold your finger on the pad?

If you have to keep your finger on the display, then just do that. It will retime at either “end”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #3
RJS3791RD

You actually hold your finger on the pad. But you don’t hear the motor running when fully retracted (or extended) like you do when you go continue to hold down on a manual switch.

Thank you for the quick response!
Old 11-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

On a schwintek slide the motors don’t continue to turn at the end of travel. They “amp out” and the controller shuts off the power, that’s the “hum” you hear. If you don’t get the hum then you might have to do it differently.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #5
RJS3791RD

That humm is what I was referring to! You don’t hear that when using the In Command system. I’m going to try doing it with the In Command but I suspect I will need to use the BCM controls. Thank you again
Old 11-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok, we are on the same page. Let me know if that works. There is a way to operate the slide at the controller, but it’s involved.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
ChuckS

Since the BCM sends the 12 volt signal to the slide controller you could use the manual override at the to operate the slide needing to be synced.. I prefer Lipperts video showing how to sync the Schwintek slide myself..

https://youtu.be/lqsWi27CLiU

I would also call ASA Jensen In Command Tech Support and ask them what the standard configuration is on the slide button ..

Each function on the BCM can be.. if I read their info correctly.. configured to NO (normally open) , Momentary, or Latch..

When you operate a feature on the Display Screen it then closes one of the plug in relays on the BCM and sends the 12 volt signal to the device.. in your case the Schwintek controller telling it to extend or retract the slide

I am not sure how the BCM is receiving feedback from that schwintek controller to tell it to remove power thus quit operation of the slide motors.. Perhaps they have a software line embedded that samples feedback current.

Anyway a call to Jensen In Command folks might shed a tad more light

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven’t had to retime any schwintek slides with InCommand, but have done many with the wall switch.

I do know that the controller will receive feedback from the motors in the form of amps drawn, and at a threshold the controller will stop sending voltage to that motor. I’ll be watching this thread to see how ASA addresses this issue.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #9
RJS3791RD

Thanks for all the information Chuck. I will give tech assist a call. I will let you know the results.

FWIW. I suspect the In Command panel is functioning differently than a manually switch (not surprising). I’ve had other RVs and with the manual switches, when you continue to hold the switch, you will hear the motors “amp out”. You don’t have that with the In Command. That’s what was steering me towards using the BCM “manual” switch.

I’m learning a ton about this new RV. It’s been very interesting. The In Command causes me a bit of anxiety. But the more I learn, the more work arounds I find.

Thanks again for the input
Old 11-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #10
RJS3791RD

Issue resolved - but still waiting for answers.....

I have a call into tech assistance to determine what ASA's position is on this subject.

What I can tell you through a series of trials is that you cannot time these slides with the In Command touch pad or with the mobile app. I went through the timing process 2x with the touch pad and then repeated the process 2x with the mobile app with no changes. The slide traveled crooked...

I went into the BCM and used the manual switch. Following the Schwintek process, the situation corrected upon completion of the process. The slide now travels evenly, in and out. I will admit that I am rather curious if the electric slides in units with In Command will be more prone to timing issues due to how the signal is managed. Time will tell....

Thank you again to ChuckS and chuckster57 for all of your input. I greatly appreciate your assistance "talking" me through this situation.

As soon as I hear from ASA, I will let you know what they have to say.

Happy Holiday
Old 11-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #11
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
Issue resolved - but still waiting for answers.....

I have a call into tech assistance to determine what ASA's position is on this subject.

What I can tell you through a series of trials is that you cannot time these slides with the In Command touch pad or with the mobile app. I went through the timing process 2x with the touch pad and then repeated the process 2x with the mobile app with no changes. The slide traveled crooked...

I went into the BCM and used the manual switch. Following the Schwintek process, the situation corrected upon completion of the process. The slide now travels evenly, in and out. I will admit that I am rather curious if the electric slides in units with In Command will be more prone to timing issues due to how the signal is managed. Time will tell....

Thank you again to ChuckS and chuckster57 for all of your input. I greatly appreciate your assistance "talking" me through this situation.

As soon as I hear from ASA, I will let you know what they have to say.

Happy Holiday

Thanks for that update!
I haven't had any issues with our unit yet, so haven't had a need to try and re-time the slide.
But at least I now know to use the BCM switch if I ever need too.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Thanks for that update!
I haven't had any issues with our unit yet, so haven't had a need to try and re-time the slide.
But at least I now know to use the BCM switch if I ever need too.
Biggest mistake people make is stopping in the middle. Schwintek slides work best when operated “full travel” each time.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:14 PM   #13
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Biggest mistake people make is stopping in the middle. Schwintek slides work best when operated “full travel” each time.
Yes, I have read that here multiple times before we ever purchased our unit.

Our Schwinteck slide for the bedroom wardroom slide is not very big.
When operating, it is always all the way in (or out) until the motors stop at end of travel.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #14
Bill-2020

This is an interesting thread, I was searching for a thread about slide toppers and Schwintek slides when I came across this (I'll post a new thread about my issue with both components shortly). I had to retime my slide twice now due to the topper getting it out of alignment by about an inch or so (right after install). To realign it I (removed the topper) used the in-command app outside while watching it until it "amped out" after a few in and outs. I just held my finger on the screen, but I agree it's different than a physical switch.

Tags
slide