Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
rube191

Water Lines

Quick question or does it matter. What's the best order City water- Adjustable Pressure gage- Water Filter-Water Softener or some other order Thanks
rube191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would run the regulator first so that you can avoid the possibility of excess pressure on any filters etc.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The regulator is always first in line from the faucet for us. Then I go to 1 or 2 water filters depending on the situation. I have been to places that have in excess of 110psi so don't want that hitting any of my personal stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
Camping family

I always place the water pressure first then my water filter.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm a little different on filter placement. I start, like most with the pressure regulator on the campground faucet, then an "off/on 1/4 turn valve" (so I don't have to mess with the campground faucet handle) then the hose, then the filter with a 4' hose from the filter output to the trailer city water connection.

My reason for putting the filter "at the end of the hose" is so I can disconnect the hose to use it for other things if I need to. Things like filling a 5 gallon water jug, hosing off the grill, washing bugs off the trailer if it's allowed, filling a small inflatable pool for the GGD if she's along for the trip. Putting the filter "at the pressure regulator" means shuffling things around if I want to use "unfiltered water" which saves my filter capacity on things that don't need filtered water.....

As always, YMMV and there's really no "you have to do it this way".... Camper's choice of what works for them is key.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:14 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I'll admit I'm lazy. Here's my method.

CG spigot to hose. Hose to the following (mounted to the side of the camper via a Camco 52001 Exterior Water Filter Housing) Bracket1/4 turn shut off valve (90° valve with elbow pointing down), canister filter, short hose to city water inlet.

After hanging filer with the city water disconnected I attach water hose from inlet side (to the valve, turned off) then the CG spigot. Turn on the CG water. Then with one hand grab the short hose and point it away from from, or under the trailer and open the valve on the input side. This bleeds the air from the filer and hose. Close the valve and connect the short hose ( still in my left hand) to the city water connection and open valve again.

This method is the least amount of steps, the hose is the only thing that is on the ground, no strain on any water fittings and no chance of forgetting anything when breaking camp. The filter, regulator, short hose, etc all fit neatly in a zippered bag. Just loop the short hose and connect it to the inlet side and it's all sealed up.

I'm not concerned about pressure on the hose. My hoses are going on 10+ years old and are like new. The hoses are 5/8" I'd drinking water hoses and are quality hoses. If one were to burst it's OK, they don't owe me anything. This is what works for me. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
travelin texans

The 1st is a Y with shut offs, so if needed I'll have non regulated water for whatever reason, the regulator on the other side of the Y then the hose with a shut off & quick connect on the opposite end, then 1st filter w/ a sediment cartridge to the water softener through the 2nd filter w/ a charcoal cartridge to a short hose with a 90 & quick connect to the rv water inlet.
Both filters & softener mounted in a milk crate with quick connects on both ends. The Y & the regulator stayed connected to the hose when stored.
I would not want anything but the hose & possibly a 90 degree fitting hanging from the typical plastic rv water inlet fitting.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I use a splitter on the campground spigot, then pressure regulator, then hose, then shut-off valve screwed into filter, then a 2nd valve, then a 90° brass fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60C69E2F-EF4F-4A71-9B9F-B3031FA0BC9B.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	42071  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #9
dutchmensport

Or....???? just fill your fresh water tank and use your on-board water pump. Then you don't ever have to be concerned about water pressure.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #10
Ccrew

Spigot to good regulator to Clearsource filter set to water softener to camper here. Put a Y at the spigot to run a regular hose if needed.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
Bandit12

My set up is a Y shutoff at the spigot, water pressure regulator on one leg of the Y, hose, water filter, short hose that comes with the filter, 90 degree brass elbow into the trailer. With the Y shutoff at the spigot, if I need to attach a second hose for anything, I can secure water to the trailer and use that side independently. I put the filter as close to the trailer as possible to eliminate any funky things that could be left over in my hose before it enters the water system. I do let the hose run for at least a few minutes before I connect to the trailer. I use the same hose to fill my freshwater tank with a shut off valve and an inline water meter, then run the filter on the end of the meter before it goes into my tank. When doing that, I let the hose run till I've measured 5-10 gallons before starting to fill the tank. The meter lets me verify how much water I'm putting on board. For trips with full hook ups, I only put 10-15 gallons on board, just enough to flush the toilet and wash hands enroute.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:39 AM   #12
jdarwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The 1st is a Y with shut offs, so if needed I'll have non regulated water for whatever reason, the regulator on the other side of the Y then the hose with a shut off & quick connect on the opposite end, then 1st filter w/ a sediment cartridge to the water softener through the 2nd filter w/ a charcoal cartridge to a short hose with a 90 & quick connect to the rv water inlet.
Both filters & softener mounted in a milk crate with quick connects on both ends. The Y & the regulator stayed connected to the hose when stored.
I would not want anything but the hose & possibly a 90 degree fitting hanging from the typical plastic rv water inlet fitting.
I do the same as Travelin Texans except I have my two canister filter system mounted inside the cargo area of our Montana 3931FB. I plumbed it into the city water connection at the connivence panel. I can have water up and running in less than 5 min.
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water