Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
geneukfan

2021 Outback 328RL Review of Problems

I purchased this unit in Oct 21 from Big Daddy's in London, which is now Camping World. It is too heavy for me to tow, so I hired someone thru the dealer to deliver it to an RV Park where I will keep it. I do not plan to ever tow it. When delivered, the auto leveling system did not work. One of the stabilizer jacks did not deploy and I had to manually deploy the jack. After that, the TV would not work. It would not accept the remote signals. Then I found out that one of the two fridges would not work. Both the freezer and door gaskets were bad. I put a flashlight inside and closed the doors and could easily see light. Next I found out one of the gray tanks and the black tank would not hold water. Since I couldn't tow the unit, I called the dealer and asked for on site warranty work. It would be another $600 round trip for me to hire someone. I felt like all the problems should have been discovered even before it left the factory. The dealer at first thought this would not be a problem, but after they contacted Keystone, the request was denied. I ended up taking the TV back and got it exchanged. I contacted Keystone. Their first words were that it was the dealers fault that I had the problems. They said the dealer should have reported them to Keystone. So, they denied my request for on site work, ignoring that the unit left their factory with the defects. I am the victim of Keystone's and the dealer's complete lack of quality control. I did install a Valerra twist on waste valve, but this is not the way I wanted it to work. I rue the day I ever saw this RV. Keystone could care less.
geneukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
jasin1

Sorry to hear about your troubles but honestly it sounds like you bought a rv with no way to tow it..that’s part ( most ) of your problem…it really sounds like minor problem’s and you involved a third party person to tow it…your dealer is who you should be slightly upset at…did you do a full walkthrough and pre purchase inspection? Did you verify everything worked? ….it’s not the dealer or keystones fault with your transportation issues …they would fix it if you brought it in to them…it would be the same if you bought a new car and shipped it far from the dealer and removed the tires and put it on blocks…. They have no obligation to come to you to honor warranty work. You have to bring it to them
Old 04-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I am sorry for your problems. Many/most of your issues could have been caught with a thorough pre delivery inspection both by the dealer and yourself.

You do not give your RV experience but the one thing that is paramount is making sure YOU go over the RV prior to acceptance - they aren't built with the quality of an automobile or even a regular home (and they have plenty of issues). If the dealer failed to do a thorough pre delivery inspection to rectify issues, and you failed to inspect the trailer prior to taking possession, it's just asking for trouble. And, after taking possession, the dealer IS your interface to Keystone for warranty repairs. In the end, your trailer probably came off the line like every other one but you had a dealer (Big Daddy's) that did not do an inspection because they knew you weren't going to and delivered you a unit that needed "help". Not really a Keystone issue as they all leave with defects large and small but more a "down the line" failure to assure the unit was free of problems prior to taking possession. Not what you want to hear, and not best practice.....but it is the RV world.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It appears that the issue is not a refusal to perform warranty work on your trailer, but rather, a refusal to send someone to do the warranty work at your site. The Keystone RV warranty states that the only trailers authorized "on site warranty service" are trailers with a detachable tongue. That's the "destination trailers" not travel trailers or fifth wheels...

Have you considered talking to the managers of the campground where you have the trailer parked to see if they might know someone who could tow your trailer to the dealership for service? There may be someone living at the campground that has the equipment capable of towing your trailer for a fee. Or you could contact the dealership to see if they would be willing to tow it for you. There's no doubt that they do have the equipment to tow most anything they sell, and depending on your relationship with the dealer, they may "pick it up and deliver it for a reduced charge or possibly even with no charge"...

Keystone, in all probability, will not work with you on transportation and they will not approve "on site warranty work" if there is any additional cost for them. They're in the business to make money, not necessarily to cater to customer's needs or limitations" (although I've seen them bend over backwards to help a customer who has a well documented problem that's clearly a factory issue)... On the other hand, I've seen (or heard about) Keystone virtually ignoring a rude, demanding customer who won't work with them to try to help solve the customer's problems"....

So, depending on how you approach Camping World and Keystone, if you're willing to work with them, they'll likely try their best to work with you. On the other hand, if you approach them demanding that they "owe you something", you'll likely see your warranty expire before anyone even shows up to see if it's a warranty problem or not.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Seems to me that the OP's issue is that even if he pays someone to drag the camper back to the dealer he is likely full timing in it. Hotel room for the time it takes to get around to fixing that which needs fixed? Second, as has been mentioned, if the OP had popped into the forum prior to buying this trailer I suspect he would have been encouraged to do a full PDI prior to signing and paying big bucks to have it moved. Perhaps the most viable solution is to learn how t fix things himself. This is a tough situation and I hope he figures things out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:01 PM   #6
meaz93*

I have a 2018 328RL and man is it a sweet RV.
I went through that rig before purchase with a fine tooth comb so to speak.
Mine had the microwave that was not properly installed from the factory ....it was loose and slightly a jar when we walked through it first time. We had a few other things that weren't quite right, but the dealer worked them out.
Towed her home and that darn microwave came loose again, but it was addressed 2nd time properly under warranty.
Everything else works awesome. Especially the auto leveling system.....actually that's what sold me over the more expensive higher quality materials and fit & finish of the Grand Design 318 RLTS vs the 328RL Keystone.
Sorry for your problems with the new Outback; things that should have been fixed under warranty, but again it's very important to be able to take that rig in for inspection, verification, and warranty work from your dealership during the first year.
No use in beating a dea* horse so to speak.
Looks like you'll have to address those issues yourself.
Once you get above water on repairs the rig should treat you well....we sure love our 2018.
I don't like to say good luck....I'm more a "make it work" kind of guy.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220418_123457.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	39452
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:47 AM   #7
jasin1

Don’t know if the op will sign back in but the problems don’t sound that bad….it’s the refrigerator may need the door brackets adjusted…10 -20 min job….stabilizer prob has a loose wire or molex connector not plugged in or missing ground wire….
Tv you can take off the wall and drive it yourself to the dealer..(although depending on the tv size you may elect to buy a better replacement at Walmart). Edit: you did take the tv back Problem solved

Black and gray tank valves are likely the hardest fix but may just need the pull handles adjusted…a mobile tech could likely handle that ..possibly the valve cable underneath is not secured to anything and when you push in the handle the cable is flexing instead of closing the valve…( speculation George)

If your on a permanent site then the valve issue may wait until you find someone to look at it…post pictures or a short video clip of the convenience center with the valves
Old 04-26-2022, 04:37 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Just speculation but I think George hit it. The man is living in it full time and not an RV'r. He will need to address the problems himself. But I agree they do not sound that bad. We all know he should have done a PDI but water under the bridge. If the OP is still watching this. Make a list of the things that need correcting. Then address this forum one at a time with the list of broken things. My belief is that someone will be able to walk you through each fix with just some time and feedback.
If you are not living it it full time it needs to be returned to the dealer with a detailed list of not working items. Believe it or not all Trailers come like that. The dealer, after receiving it from the manufacture, then fixes what he see's easily and sells it to you. You, before taking delivery, do a VERY thorough walk thru and present the dealer with things that need to be fixed before you will take delivery. I know it does not seem right but that is just how it is. Some dealers do a better job than others but it will always come down to the buyer to do the final inspection.
Good luck. I think if you are at all handy, you will be able to fix the problems yourself and gain a better understanding of how trailers in America are built.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

OP, as has been mentioned the PDI was most important but that is water under the bridge now. IMO the most important thing now is "mindset" or just plain "acceptance" of what RVs are.

My first new full size RV was in 1985. Bought it to use for work and play and let per diem pay for it vs going on full expenses. First trip out in winter things were great until about the 2nd day when I was awakened in the middle of the night to a horrible racket. The blower on the furnace went south and sounded like it lost a bearing or something. 300 miles from the dealer, working out of it night and day so couldn't move it. Called the dealer and he said he would take care of it that weekend. When I got home Friday night I had bags under my eyes from no sleep and had learned an entire new language of colorful "metaphors" for that furnace. Sat. morning the dealer was there in front of my house and put in a new furnace. Turned it on and....blessed quiet!! It ran as it should. I asked him then, my first new RV, how this could happen.....he just said "these things happen" - first RV.

By my 3rd new RV I had become painfully aware that something was going to be, or go, wrong. Initially when I bought an RV and it failed I would rail against the sky, throw snot slinging fits and in general be a terror to anyone that had anything to do with the build of that trailer - it didn't really get me anywhere and I finally learned that. Now I know to be prepared; no matter what I pay for a trailer it is going to have something wrong and more than likely getting it to a dealer for repair won't be worth the time and effort (or money if not warranty). That's where the mindset and acceptance comes in...

My life is SO much better now that I assume something is going to fail and I'm prepared for it. I have no expectations beyond my ability to get whatever it is repaired...personally. I carry totes full of critical spare parts, tools specific for the RV as well as supplies because "it", whatever that may be, is going to happen - I just try to be prepared and deal with it as it comes.

Those things are NOT what you want to hear and it certainly wasn't what I wanted to hear, expected or was used to. I figure I know how you are feeling right now and don't blame you. It took me 3 RVs to "accept"....or maybe just be beaten into submission....whatever it was it happened.....and nothing has changed. Previous posts have mentioned the fact of learning to fix things and I suppose that is the most important takeaway you could get fropm all this. As you encounter various problems just post them and use the resources available on this forum to work through them, most of us have been through most anything you will encounter. Again, I hate it for you and understand the frustration. Sorry for the long post but wanted to just give a bit of an explanation and some food for thought. Good luck on getting things fixed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback