Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
breeves2245

New Passport-my 1st attempt at warranty work

Here is the summary. Bought a Keystone Passport SL 229RK in Dec '21. Took a three week trip and kept a punch list of things that need attention. Dealer is three hours a away, so I would like to get it serviced locally.

In Dec I scheduled a date with my 1st dealer of choice for Feb 21st, this coming Monday. Their soonest opening. They were not concerned if I bought it from them or elsewhere.

Buying some accessories at Gander RV (aka Camping World) in Jan. Asked them if they do warranty work on Keystones. They said sure, no issue where I bought it. They had a Feb 7th date, even better, so I booked it.

Figured I would give them a shot and have the other dealer as a backup. Thinking all those negative reviews have some merit, so I was apprehensive about using them.

They checked it in Feb 7th, did a punch list review with the service writer. Said they usually can get to it in about 4-6 days or so. Went back there today (two weeks later) and they said they are waiting on a warranty approval from Keystone. I told them I would pick it up tomorrow and wait on the approval and then take it back. They said that would be fine.

I want to keep as much control as I can, so I like having the trailer.

The question (finally!). Do I give them time to respond to me regarding Keystone's approval or haul it to the 1st choice dealer as scheduled?

Would an approval request to Keystone from two different dealers for the same unit/issues cause any issues?

Anyone have any experience on a typical response time from Keystone to the dealer?
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You've made the choice on the dealership so stick with it. Trying to go to another dealer, start a new warranty request etc. is only going to REALLY muddy the waters and at the same time probably tick off both dealers....who you will be depending on.

Leaving the trailer on a dealer lot for long periods just "waiting" has never worked out well for me - it always comes back with some sort of damage they have to fix. Wanting to be in "control" can come with some drawbacks as well if you aren't working in concert with the dealer. Coordinate with them; know their plans, limitations etc. and work with that.

Depending on the warranty work requested and the length of the list it could take a long time to get approval, examp; you have 15 little items that require some minor trim etc. and then a major problem, you might have 14 of them approved and wait for 6 mos. for a more major warranty repair. I can't say enough times to always go to the dealership first, not Keystone, and try to get your issues resolved. In you case just contact Keystone with your case #/VIN and ask what is going on with the claim.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:54 PM   #3
breeves2245

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning toward just give the first dealer, Gander RV, time to fix. I was concerned about Keystone receiving two requests and certainly don't want to cause confusion, etc.

I can use the trailer now, the issues will not prevent me from making a short trip soon.
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
jasin1

Not a very considerate way to treat the 1st dealer ..have you thought that may screw up their schedule that day? They are expecting your trailer on the 21st….and some other poor soul has to wait because of you holding that day hostage.

In my buisness I’ve had potential customers call three different hvac company’s and schedule an appt for the same time..1st one there gets the job..very rude

Or maybe order three pizzas from different places and only pay for the first one that shows up

I would have cancelled after I made the 2nd appt with Gander or at least the day I dropped it off…just my opinion

Hopefully you don’t need the first dealer in the future

Pardon my irritability..it struck a nerve

Good luck and happy camping
Old 02-18-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Jasin. Right now, Gander has technician time invested in verifying your warranty issues, service bay time invested in the work they've done for you to process your warranty claim and service writer/warranty coordinator time to write it all up, send it to Keystone and maintain the files/followup as well as order any parts that might be needed to do the work. For all you know, they have already special ordered everything that's needed so they have it on hand, knowing that Keystone will approve the work, but they can't actually do the work without the "formal approval"... So, they have not only parts ordered, but paid for, pending the paperwork.

If you take it to another dealership, their time is "lost" and Keystone doesn't pay 2 or 3 claims for the same work, so essentially what you'd have done is cost them money. If you do "play the dealer game" you can pretty well be assured that your rig won't ever be welcome back at the Gander service department. Since it's a national chain, if they have a data base of customer units, you know, like Ford or GM does, where any Gander dealership can pull up your unit history with the VIN, then if they "record what you did" then you may be on a "company black list" and no matter which Gander center you go to, you'll receive the same "un-welcome"...

If you commit to have work done at a facility, as long as they are doing what you all agreed to do, you should feel a moral obligation to not cause them to lose money because you change your mind or play the "dealer game"... You also "owe the first dealer the courtesy of letting them know what you've done so they don't hold the appointment for you, if you've already obligated another dealer to do the work....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:07 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

For the OP, how would you feel if you went to work and your employers said " Go home, your back up is here and he's got it". Do you order the same item from Amazon, Ebay, and Walmart.com then return the two items that arrived second and third? You picked a service provider give them a chance. There's control and there's micromanagement that leaves folks damaged in its wake. JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #7
wegone

Yeah, I side with these guys who say stick to your original agreement.

I am going through some similar warranty work since last AUGUST.
Like so many other things presently in this world, lots of uncertainties and unforeseen circumstance, are contributing to many elements in what used to be a cut and dry operation.

Don't add to it, please.

Congrats are your new trailer
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:10 AM   #8
dutchmensport

I seriously thought about doing something identical to what the OP just described about 3 years ago when I needed warranty work done on my Montana. I did check with both first to find out what the lead time was for each one. In the end, I decided to stay with the dealership that was farther from home, with the longer wait time, simply because that was the dealership we purchased the camper from. The second dealership had a shorter time wait, would have also serviced the camper, and was about 30 miles closer to home. After analyzing everything, I went ahead and scheduled with the purchasing dealership with the longer wait time. I did not make any appointments until I talked to both first.

Now that the camper is out of warranty, whenever I need anything done, I go to the non-purchasing dealership who services Keystone products also, and is much closer to home. Considering I'm paying out of my own pocket for any repairs, I'm using the one that I actually like the most now, and that IS the closer one, regardless of wait time.

They are very good at scheduling appointments and then you bring the camper back in for your appointment time. Meanwhile, you can keep your camper at home. And because it so close to home, it's no problem at all taking the camper in at any time, if they call you and ask if you can bring it in earlier.

Tags
passport, warranty