Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
Gwen Orwiler

I'm brand new...shopping for our full time rig now.

Hi. I'm brand new... shopping for our full time rig right now. In all the research we've been doing over the past several months Keystone seems to be our fav. We are looking for a used one, possibly a Montana, with rear living and a bonus room for an office in the Seattle WA area. We plan to head for the sunny SW of New Mexico in 3 weeks or less once our house sells.

I'd love to hear any suggestions about your tips re shopping for used keystones. Thanks!! Gwen
Gwen Orwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good, knowledgeable folks here that can help when you need it.

When shopping for that new RV be sure you have enough truck to tow it. The Montana line really needs a 1 ton dual rear wheel truck to pull them due to their weight so keep that in mind. What kind of tow vehicle do you have?

You mention going to sunny SW NM after you sell, is that permanently or just a trip? Also, where in SW NM? Spent a lot of time in most of it - it will be QUITE a change from WA!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Tip: It doesn't matter if you buy new or used, be prepared to spend more money than you anticipated. No, not on the cost of the camper.

First, there is outfitting the camper, second there are campground fees, third is insurance, fourth is the cost of fuel for your transportation, fifth is the cost of the license plate and DMV registration, sixth expect mechanical problem on the camper even if you purchase it brand new and purchasing used you absolutely do not know the true condition of anything until you start using it.

I think this is the biggest 'tip" I can give you. Whatever you anticipated financially for the nomadic life, it's not cheap if you want water, electricity, and somewhere to dump your sewage tanks.

AND .... the days of willie-nillie, lets drive to a campground and park there a few days will not happen. Campgrounds are changing, State, Federal, and Private. Reservations are needed, more and more, sometimes out as far as 6 months to a year.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Yes indeed Gwen, a tall order to fill in limited time (in a few weeks) if I read your post correctly. Not sure where you live in WA, but being close to good inventories of used Keystones sounds like a key (no pun intended) requirement for your shopping. The last few post contain some realities about RV ownership, climate differences and the lack of campground availabilities. Just a few considerations before jumping in with both feet. Addressing your point that you are "brand new" has myself and other members on here (I am sure) wanting to make sure you have a positive experience with your new RV lifestyle choice, and not make some of the mistakes we have.
Maybe decrease your "stuff", you wont need a lawn mower, rolling tool box or a dining room hutch (among other things) if you "full time". Downsize the balance into a POD storage container and move to the area you are thinking about. Rent a furnished place, buy your tow vehicle (you may already have one, not sure?) and then start shopping for your trailer. Two advantages that come to mind are, better market inventories of used RVs in the SW US and you will have your tow vehicle on site to help you make the right selection.
A big full time trailer is going to be heavy, especially when your "life" is in it. (See "stuff"). All this equals weight and the right rig in front of the rig is crucial for safety.
Good luck and keep us posted
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You've been given good asvice thus far. If buying used check the make of tires and the manufacturing date. They will likely need to be replaced. Following are some of the concerns members will have as you state this a "new experience.

Timeline - doing this in 3 weeks is begging to get burned. I'd suddest checking in to an extended stay or furnished appartment until you get things sorted.

Tow vehichle - this has been mentioned but also goes back to the timeline. Just getting the hitch may take 3 weeks. Trying to find a truck could take months.

Have you ever towed anything before? Jumping into towing a large, heavy trailer as your first experience may not be a "watch a YouTube video and go" experience.

I hope you've thought things. Out well. There are lots of things to consider that the full timers can address. Some that come to mind are insurance (including health), mail delivery, reseving camp grounds, just to mention a few.

I wish you all the best in your new adventure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:49 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. Good luck on your rv shopping and hope you find the one you want.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

I hope the OP is reading our responses.
Not sure if we scared her off with the "realities" of full time RV living or they are going to do what they want and hit the road with their F-150 hitched to a "half ton towable" Montana (if there is such a thing) fully loaded and with no camp reservations. Hope not.
Oh well for the moment it is still a free country. Please be careful.

But to be fair and answer your question Gwen, " tips re shopping for used keystones?" In a nutshell as with any used RV check EVERYTHING. From the ground up outside. Tires to roof and everything in between. And check from top to bottom inside, interior roof for water leaks to the floor for soft spots and again, everything in between (plugs, plumbing, appliances, windows ect...)

As I stated before, this may not be what you want to hear but there is a wealth of good advice and experience on this forum. This advice comes with the sincere desire to make sure that this RV lifestyle choice you have made will be enjoyable and safe.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #8
travelin texans

Check out the Redwood owners forum.
There are several there with used Redwoods that are great fulltime 5ers. Most will have washer/dryers installed, some with dishwashers, some with generators, all with real wood cabinets & solid surface countertops.
Lived in ours for 6+ years with only minor self repaired issues & routine maintenance after approximately 60k miles.
The only requirement is you'll definitely need a 1 ton dually, they are mostly 16.5k GVWR & pin heavy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Check out the Redwood owners forum.
There are several there with used Redwoods that are great fulltime 5ers. Most will have washer/dryers installed, some with dishwashers, some with generators, all with real wood cabinets & solid surface countertops.
Lived in ours for 6+ years with only minor self repaired issues & routine maintenance after approximately 60k miles.
The only requirement is you'll definitely need a 1 ton dually, they are mostly 16.5k GVWR & pin heavy.
When at the San Antonio RV show last month I looked at Redwoods and would definitely consider that brand over Keystone if full timing. If you plan on parking in one location, perhaps have a company haul it for you and don't buy the truck that is appropriate as they are mucho expensive.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote