Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
RVGator

6 Point Level Up System Lesson Learned

The 6 point level up hydraulic system in our 2022 Avalanche is amazing. Especially when coming from the old hand crank system on our previous TT. I can even use the app on my phone so I never really have to open the little door to access the control panel when leveling or getting on/off my truck.

That being said I learned a lesson recently that I thought I would share for those that are new to having a hydraulic system. I noticed while camping that my reservoir looked low so I noted in my checklist of repairs/maintenance to refill it when home. Came home from the trip, picked up a gallon of the Dextron ATF II and proceeded to fill it to the fill level mark. It was challenging to fill it given the fill port is on the side and seems extremely small even for my long skinny funnel. So I made a bit of a mess filling it. But all in all it went fine.

On the next trip out after having actuated the slides and levelers I noticed that Trans fluid had leaked out of the cap and gone everywhere and that my tank was a LOT more full then when I filled it up. I cleaned it up diligently and applied more pressure at the cap thinking I did not tighten it all the way and some splashed up(although it was a lot of fluid). That night as I lay in bed pondering my stupidity I realized that I did not take into account that when the hydraulic system is extended that more fluid is out of the tank then in the tank and once I pulled everything in it puts more fluid into the tank. So what I thought was a low tank was no where near low. So I have spent the past few times out cleaning up trans fluid at a regular pace, although it seemingly is below the spill point now because the last time out there was no mess to clean.

So for all that have not had the pleasure of cleaning up trans fluid from your front storage bay, i would recommend against it. And be sure to only check your level in your tanks when all slides/levelers are retracted.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
The 6 point level up hydraulic system in our 2022 Avalanche is amazing. Especially when coming from the old hand crank system on our previous TT. I can even use the app on my phone so I never really have to open the little door to access the control panel when leveling or getting on/off my truck.

That being said I learned a lesson recently that I thought I would share for those that are new to having a hydraulic system. I noticed while camping that my reservoir looked low so I noted in my checklist of repairs/maintenance to refill it when home. Came home from the trip, picked up a gallon of the Dextron ATF II and proceeded to fill it to the fill level mark. It was challenging to fill it given the fill port is on the side and seems extremely small even for my long skinny funnel. So I made a bit of a mess filling it. But all in all it went fine.

On the next trip out after having actuated the slides and levelers I noticed that Trans fluid had leaked out of the cap and gone everywhere and that my tank was a LOT more full then when I filled it up. I cleaned it up diligently and applied more pressure at the cap thinking I did not tighten it all the way and some splashed up(although it was a lot of fluid). That night as I lay in bed pondering my stupidity I realized that I did not take into account that when the hydraulic system is extended that more fluid is out of the tank then in the tank and once I pulled everything in it puts more fluid into the tank. So what I thought was a low tank was no where near low. So I have spent the past few times out cleaning up trans fluid at a regular pace, although it seemingly is below the spill point now because the last time out there was no mess to clean.

So for all that have not had the pleasure of cleaning up trans fluid from your front storage bay, i would recommend against it. And be sure to only check your level in your tanks when all slides/levelers are retracted.
Dang, that was a tough lesson to learn, although hopefully nothing was really damaged. If I'm not mistaken, it talks about this very issue in the book and to make sure all hydraulic slides are fully retracted and all leveling legs are up. Thanks for passing along your experience, you may save someone else from doing the same thing.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
Camp CA

Thanks for sharing your lesson learned!!
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Dang, that was a tough lesson to learn, although hopefully nothing was really damaged. If I'm not mistaken, it talks about this very issue in the book and to make sure all hydraulic slides are fully retracted and all leveling legs are up. Thanks for passing along your experience, you may save someone else from doing the same thing.
Wait, you have a book?!? Oh wait, is that the package of materials the dealer gave me and told me to read over?
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
Javi

I'm a growed up man, I don't need no damned instructions...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm a growed up man, I don't need no damned instructions...
Yep... Instructions are intended to show you what to do with the left over parts. If there's no left overs, no need for any instructions

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:43 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep... Instructions are intended to show you what to do with the left over parts. If there's no left overs, no need for any instructions

Uh oh. I thought those left overs were spare parts. Mentioned in another thread about rebuilding a Z28 engine....had a nice sized bowl of "left over spare parts". Never gave me an issue and ran like a scalded cat so figured everything must be OK - until I took it for a high speed run down a blacktop and the hood popped up over the windshield at 100+ (my fault).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #8
vampress_me

I’m thinking my dad’s advice applies here - if all else fails, look in the garbage for the instructions.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote