Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
Stprigby

Toilet kinda burping

When my black tank is about half full the toilet seems to burp and splash water when being flushed. Doesn’t do it when it has been emptied only when about half full. Any suggestions on what might be causing this. We only have about 6 weeks of being full timers then the new house is ready.
Stprigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

How do you know it's only 1/2 full? If you're depending on the tank sensors they are notorious liars.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Stprigby

I just emptied it Saturday and there’s only 2of us living here. I just changed out the black valve Saturday.
Stprigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
bobbecky

I think your rig might have a 40 gallon black tank, so with two of you, it might not make it a week. We have a 53 gallon black tank, and we have gone as long as nine days, but usually I drain it once a week. I never depend on the idiot lights on the panel, and if we get to the burp stage, it’s drain time. We full time.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stprigby View Post
I just emptied it Saturday and there’s only 2of us living here. I just changed out the black valve Saturday.

If you add a signature with the model/year of your trailer and truck it makes it much simpler for folks to give you more accurate answers....or guesses.

The question is how you know it's "half full"? In my experience it will burp when it is getting ready to be dumped. Now there have been burps and there have been burps. At times I've had a little bubble pop up for whatever reason but I know from experience (and the lack of usage) that it's not full. If it is burping big and popping water in the toilet.....dump the tank. And do not look at the black tank monitor entertainment lights to assess "fullness".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The "burping" starts when the roof vent stack can no longer "vent the tank pressure buildup to the roof"... What happens is the "pressure buildup then flows through the easiest means to vent" which is the open bowl in the toilet...

What that all means is "translated language" is that your roof vent stack is probably too deeply set in your black tank. If it's a pressure fit, then you can get on the roof and "twist and pull" about an inch of the pipe out of the trailer...
BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO PULL TOO MUCH OR TOO FAST OR YOU CAN PULL THE VENT STACK OUT OF THE BLACK TANK AND THEN, WHEN THE TANK GETS FULL, IT'LL OVERFLOW BLACK CONTENTS INTO YOUR TRAILER BELLY !!!!!

If your vent stack is screwed into the black tank, the fitting is glued into the tank, so there won't be a way to pull it out a tad, to eliminate the burping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #7
Carl n Susan

I too agree with JRTJH and think the vent stack was placed too low in the tank. You can use a tape measure (that you probably want to discard after) to measure (relative to the top of the stack) the depth of the tank and the length of the stack. The difference will give you an idea on how far the stack is from the bottom of the tank. I don't remember the exact dimension of the tank but would expect it to be around 6". So 4" or 5" difference would seem to be reasonable. 2" to 3" not so much.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:22 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Not knowing RV tanks configurations, in reading this I felt the same...but then the question. If the connection to the tank is 'low' isn't there a chance that an 80-90% full tank could trap/block solids in the connection point making the vent somewhat useless when the tank gets 1/3-1/2 full in the future?

For the more seasoned veterans, does the above every happen. Could you 'blow out' the vent from the roof to unclog if the answer is yes?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:02 AM   #9
Scttw

I have an 82 Gallon black. My bathroom sink also goes there, but it's just wifey and I and we only get 4-5 days and I'll see burping.

The burping is necessary otherwise you'll never know when to pull that black lever
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet