Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Bob R

Towing capabilities (so confusing)

I have never been perfectly clear on the towing weight things but am now getting more comfortable with them. I am pretty sure (positive) I am overloaded for my present truck ( 2008 Ford F350 SRW) that has a published 5th wheel towing of 15,200 and a GCWR of 23,000. My trailer has a GVWR of 17000. Will it tow it, of course it will. Should it tow it, of course not. After months of looking for a newer TV I decided to bite the bullet and order a new 2022 F350 DRW with a GCWR of 40,000 lbs and a published towing (5th wheel) of 31,800 lbs. and a payload of a little over 5,000 lbs.

So to sum it up I *think* I broke the code and will be getting a truck capable of towing my 2019 356 and still have room for a few bottles of water in the cab.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. Because I live in NV and will have to get a new license I want to make sure I am within all weight limits before driving down for my new license and driving test (where they check weights).

bob
Old 09-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
I have never been perfectly clear on the towing weight things but am now getting more comfortable with them. I am pretty sure (positive) I am overloaded for my present truck ( 2008 Ford F350 SRW) that has a published 5th wheel towing of 15,200 and a GCWR of 23,000. My trailer has a GVWR of 17000. Will it tow it, of course it will. Should it tow it, of course not. After months of looking for a newer TV I decided to bite the bullet and order a new 2022 F350 DRW with a GCWR of 40,000 lbs and a published towing (5th wheel) of 31,800 lbs. and a payload of a little over 5,000 lbs.

So to sum it up I *think* I broke the code and will be getting a truck capable of towing my 2019 356 and still have room for a few bottles of water in the cab.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. Because I live in NV and will have to get a new license I want to make sure I am within all weight limits before driving down for my new license and driving test (where they check weights).

bob
I applaud you for trying to be safe …didn’t realize you need a new license and driving test …thought maybe some states require a paper endorsement to your existing license for private use ..but no test
Old 09-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
rhagfo

Well unless you carry a ton of stuff in the TV you should be ok.
It would be nice to get a pin weight for your trailer. If you can get it weighed nearby please provide the calculated pin weight of the 5er.

If you weigh all three axles TV front, TV rear, and trailer axles together, then weigh the TV axles without the 5er. Add the TV axles from the 1st weigh together, then add the TV axles from 2nd weigh together and subtract that sum from the sum of the 1st weigh, this will result in the pin weight.
Then you can add the pin weight to the trailer axle weights for GVW of the 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I applaud you for trying to be safe …didn’t realize you need a new license and driving test …thought maybe some states require a paper endorsement to your existing license for private use ..but no test
I am in one of the several states that need an endorsement for a trailer over 10K. Over 26,001 combined weight I need a Class A (non-commercial). Coming from another stae where it wasn't required I will need a new class of DL.

I believe, but can't be sure, a lot of people buy a truck, a trailer and off they go. I would have never known of this requirement without some research.

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/

bob
Old 09-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
I am in one of the several states that need an endorsement for a trailer over 10K. Over 26,001 combined weight I need a Class A (non-commercial). Coming from another stae where it wasn't required I will need a new class of DL.

I believe, but can't be sure, a lot of people buy a truck, a trailer and off they go. I would have never known of this requirement without some research.

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/

bob
Does that put you in a different class of insurance?
Old 09-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Does that put you in a different class of insurance?
No, my insurance remains the same, other than going up because of the new truck vs on that is 13 years old.

bob
Old 09-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
notanlines

Russ, I dearly loved your "If you weigh all three axles TV front, TV rear, and trailer axles together, then weigh the TV axles without the 5er. Add the TV axles from the 1st weigh together, then add the TV axles from 2nd weigh together and subtract that sum from the sum of the 1st weigh, this will result in the pin weight.
Then you can add the pin weight to the trailer axle weights for GVW of the 5er."

It couldn't be more accurate no matter how you phrased it, but think about a newbie trying to move from a, let's say, Toyota Tacoma to a regular truck and a medium fifth wheel with no RV experience. The old timers here just go on about their business, do most of the calculations in their head, nod or shake their heads and go on.
There simply is no way to explain to a newbie in simple terms where they are headed.
The actual use of CAT scales is light-years ahead in simplicity versus doing the actual figuring when the weighing is completed.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing