Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
GMH

Old Caulking?

I guess this fits under maintenance? I can’t think of any reason that this old caulking can’t be scraped away? It is the original stuff that was applied when the doors and windows were installed. It has collected dirt over the years and looks ugly. If I only scrape the excess that originally oozed out, the seal should still be intact…correct? Or would it be better to run a tiny bead of fresh caulk all around the framing? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD1FF2D9-48EA-4938-A0A2-3C1AE3612830.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	35346   Click image for larger version

Name:	508289B7-6677-445F-8509-492BF6723104.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	35347  
Old 08-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That sure looks like putty tape to me. Use a plastic scraper to clean up the excess that oozed out. If there aren’t any voids in the putty your ok to leave it alone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
I guess this fits under maintenance? I can’t think of any reason that this old caulking can’t be scraped away? It is the original stuff that was applied when the doors and windows were installed. It has collected dirt over the years and looks ugly. If I only scrape the excess that originally oozed out, the seal should still be intact…correct? Or would it be better to run a tiny bead of fresh caulk all around the framing? Thoughts?
I don't think that's "caulk." it looks more like butyl putty to me. But the pictures are so close up that I can't decide if the object is something that would get butyl tape or caulk.

If you decide to caulk, I would recommend the product below rather than use silicone. Silicone is a good seal, but I think of it as a one time use. Nothing sticks to silicone. So next time you have to caulk or touch up, you can't until you scrape and remove and clean off all the old silicone.

I went on a factory tour at Outdoors RV in Oregon. I watched them use this stuff. Cleans up with soapy water, goes on red/brown but dries clear. Easy to scrape off and recaulk as needed.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2300-mhrv-sealant/
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
GMH

Yes, I think it likely is butyl tape or putty. I’ll scrape the excess off and check for any voids.