Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
Mroe67

Bad smell

Had a bad sulfur or sewer type smell just in the bathroom of our 3120RL. Not in the kitchen. We’re camping in Ohio, hooked up to only electric. No water or sewer. I was told that it could be the hot water tank anode creating bad gas smell. Took anode out and it was almost totally deteriorated. So I replaced it. Thinking that if it was that, we would have the smell in the kitchen as well. But in any case I drained the grey water tanks, added some bleach water. Smell gone. But not sure if it was the replacing the anode or the bleach water that took to smell away. I’m betting on the bleach water. Anyone else have had this issue? If so how did you solve it?
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
Had a bad sulfur or sewer type smell just in the bathroom of our 3120RL. Not in the kitchen. We’re camping in Ohio, hooked up to only electric. No water or sewer. I was told that it could be the hot water tank anode creating bad gas smell. Took anode out and it was almost totally deteriorated. So I replaced it. Thinking that if it was that, we would have the smell in the kitchen as well. But in any case I drained the grey water tanks, added some bleach water. Smell gone. But not sure if it was the replacing the anode or the bleach water that took to smell away. I’m betting on the bleach water. Anyone else have had this issue? If so how did you solve it?
I'm guessing it was the smell of your gray water tank. Look under the bathroom sink. Do you have one of those stubby vent pipes? I'd guess you do and the smell was coming from that.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

Check the air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. If faulty it will allow grey tank odors to enter. Search AAV if you need more info.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
Mroe67

I have a stubby vent pip under the kitchen sink but the one under the bathroom sink vents up, I think to the roof, at least it don’t vent under the cabinet
Old 08-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
I have a stubby vent pip under the kitchen sink but the one under the bathroom sink vents up, I think to the roof, at least it don’t vent under the cabinet
The other two ways for gray tank smells to get into the bathroom is both the sink drain and shower drain. Both should have a water trap to prevent odors. Could either one of those have been dry?

Any chance the smell could have come from flushing the toilet? You know that 4in pipe into the black tank is wide open at the end of the flush...
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #6
Mroe67

We use the drains every day so I don’t think they could have dried up that quick. After bleach water ran through it solved the issue. I will look for a intake vent under the sink though. Thanks for all the advise.