Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Keystone Decal Kits...

I just got off the phone with Al Gould from RV Graphics Store.com. They just recently added quite a few of the older Keystone graphics kits to their store.

I have a '12 Raptor that has terrible front upper decals. In fact almost all of the fronts are trashed from the UV/sun. They have complete RV kits, or individual decals.

In my case they have a nose kit. They use the "original" art work digital data to reproduce the new decals. The new decals use the latest 3M products and instead of clear coating over silk screen as the OEM did, they use an overlay on top of their printed graphics of 3M UV blocker to protect the decals.

Al said that in total 100% unprotected use, they should last 5 to 7 years. If covered outside of the use time, normal vacations etc, they should last indefinitely.

I'll report back on how mine go on and look. It will probably be an October project for me, simply because of the very hot weather here in the greater St Louis Mo area.

So if anyone is looking of the older nose kits, give Al a call at RV Graphics in CA. Very nice guy to work with.

RV Graphics Store Manufacture Page

Have a great weekend...
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
GMH

Very interesting. Thanks for that link!
Old 07-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

If you have a Cougar, this guy sells on eBay and seems to have decent stuff:
https://www.ebay.com/str/rvgraphics4...p2047675.l2563
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
I just got off the phone with Al Gould from RV Graphics Store.com. They just recently added quite a few of the older Keystone graphics kits to their store.

I have a '12 Raptor that has terrible front upper decals. In fact almost all of the fronts are trashed from the UV/sun. They have complete RV kits, or individual decals.

In my case they have a nose kit. They use the "original" art work digital data to reproduce the new decals. The new decals use the latest 3M products and instead of clear coating over silk screen as the OEM did, they use an overlay on top of their printed graphics of 3M UV blocker to protect the decals.

Al said that in total 100% unprotected use, they should last 5 to 7 years. If covered outside of the use time, normal vacations etc, they should last indefinitely.

I'll report back on how mine go on and look. It will probably be an October project for me, simply because of the very hot weather here in the greater St Louis Mo area.

So if anyone is looking of the older nose kits, give Al a call at RV Graphics in CA. Very nice guy to work with.

RV Graphics Store Manufacture Page

Have a great weekend...
Dan, this fella has a Raptor end cap decal:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28261740180...IAAOSwbqddkmn8

He likely has other stuff as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Dan, this fella has a Raptor end cap decal:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28261740180...IAAOSwbqddkmn8

He likely has other stuff as well.
Thanks George!

I missed out on a front cap RAPTOR and the upper and lower main center decals a few months ago. I found them on eBay as NOS. But they were the red shaded ones and the wife was not happy that they would not match the rest of the RV. Then she finally decided that they would be okay, and poooof, they were gone already...

This is an exact reproduction of what my front is now that I need. Yes, $1k is a LOT of money, but I couldn't get it repainted for that and it will add value to my RV.

Al is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable about his craft. They've been in business since '99 and in the beginning they were the supplier to manufacturers directly.

I've done a ton of researching on my '12 decals and this is the only place that was able to give me what I wanted. Expensive yes, but hopefully worth it as my RV will look brand new after the front cap is redone. All the other decals on my '12 are in great condition without any pulling edges.

I think the worse part will be removing all the old decals. I've watched many videos about erasing the decals from the nose and it takes maybe 5 minutes to do just an inch or so square. Very time consuming.

Al said that professional truck graphics companies now have a steamer of sorts that you can use to soften the adhesive to make the removal easier, about half the time without the steamer. But they're very expensive and not for the general public per se. I think I'll start with the 3M eraser wheel used on a drill to burnish off the decal, so to speak.

I told them that I would be gone from home in the next couple months off and on and he's going to ship for me the 13th of August to arrive during the next week. That way I will be home to receive them.

I'll let you all know how my battle goes once I get started.

Thanks again for the reference material...
Old 07-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Having installed lots and LOTS of large decals on airplanes, when you get them on August 13th, UNROLL THEM AND STORE THEM FLAT !!!!! Otherwise, the "non-stick paper" will start to separate from the decal vinyl and dust will (not might, WILL) get behind the vinyl and that section will NEVER stick properly.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Having installed lots and LOTS of large decals on airplanes, when you get them on August 13th, UNROLL THEM AND STORE THEM FLAT !!!!! Otherwise, the "non-stick paper" will start to separate from the decal vinyl and dust will (not might, WILL) get behind the vinyl and that section will NEVER stick properly.....
John, I have a basement floor just calling their name!

Thanks for the heads up.

We'll be back in MI for another month starting the 8th of September thru the 7th of October. Have to get back home for a Buddy Guy concert the 8th...

I've got my wife almost convinced to move back to MI. We found just over an acre of land just down the road from my brother's place two miles. That's one mile east of Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare. You've probably heard of Jay's.

If all goes well, I plan on having a pole barn built, a BIG one. The front half will be work shop and the rear half will be our house, Shouse or Shome is what they're calling this setup now.

The pole barn will be 40'x80' with 13' side walls. There will be a 16' lean-to added along the back and up the right side. The right side will be half open to the house and the front half will be 16' wide and 48' long, more than enough to cover our '16 Terrain Denali and our F-350 dually. Won't be a complete garage, but out of the direct weather will be a big benefit for us.

I'll do a carport for the RV, 14'x50'x14'. The property will allow me to drive around the building and pull back to the front straight into the carport cover with the RV. Then just hook up and pull straight out the drive, what a plan...

Now all I have to do is get more quotes and hope we can afford it. Not much else for For Sale housing in the area that doesn't need to be refurbed and then I would still have to build a workshop over and above all that. I think the Shouse is the most bang for our buck.

Hopefully I will be a Michigander again! My wife of course will be a Michigoose. You know, a gander is a male and a goose is a female.

Going to the Frankenmuth Auto Show weekend, 8th thru the 11th of September. Back in '01 I was their poster car with my '40 Willys coupe with a blown 392 Chrysler hemi. Was also the T-Shirt car for the St. Ignace car show that year. My wife is still pissed at me for selling the Willys late '01. I may have a chance to purchase it back in a couple years; that would make her a happy camper for sure! Also want to hit the Midland Antique Festival this September. Used to live just two miles north of the Midland Fairgrounds. I do miss going to that shindig. Bought tons of "shop" miscellaneous items, cable ties, nut's bolts, tools, car parts, the list is very long. At least I'll have the RV in Mt Pleasant close enough to get a truck load of what my wife calls JUNK!

Sorry for rambling everyone...

Dan
Old 07-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
Thanks George!

I missed out on a front cap RAPTOR and the upper and lower main center decals a few months ago. I found them on eBay as NOS. But they were the red shaded ones and the wife was not happy that they would not match the rest of the RV. Then she finally decided that they would be okay, and poooof, they were gone already...

This is an exact reproduction of what my front is now that I need. Yes, $1k is a LOT of money, but I couldn't get it repainted for that and it will add value to my RV.

Al is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable about his craft. They've been in business since '99 and in the beginning they were the supplier to manufacturers directly.

I've done a ton of researching on my '12 decals and this is the only place that was able to give me what I wanted. Expensive yes, but hopefully worth it as my RV will look brand new after the front cap is redone. All the other decals on my '12 are in great condition without any pulling edges.

I think the worse part will be removing all the old decals. I've watched many videos about erasing the decals from the nose and it takes maybe 5 minutes to do just an inch or so square. Very time consuming.

Al said that professional truck graphics companies now have a steamer of sorts that you can use to soften the adhesive to make the removal easier, about half the time without the steamer. But they're very expensive and not for the general public per se. I think I'll start with the 3M eraser wheel used on a drill to burnish off the decal, so to speak.

I told them that I would be gone from home in the next couple months off and on and he's going to ship for me the 13th of August to arrive during the next week. That way I will be home to receive them.

I'll let you all know how my battle goes once I get started.

Thanks again for the reference material...
Have you thought about calling a local detailer or truck graphic company and asking for a quote to strip your decals?
Might be worth it to save yourself the headache…if it was under $600 I’d probably go with it…but that’s just me ..I had a couple of company vehicles detailed and lettering removed and you couldn’t tell it was on there.. you wouldn’t need the inside detailed so might catch someone between jobs looking to keep busy
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
Dan Lockwood

I do have a local graphics company. They do total wraps custom work. If it gets to be too much for me, I'll check with them.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #10
E Rod

Has anyone done or considered doing a full wrap instead of full body paint job? Thought of doing it but not sure of price and longevity...

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone