Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
Dogon

Warning. Potential propane hose failure.

Hi fellow RV’rs. I have a Keystone Cougar 1/2 ton series I bought new in 2018. Right before my first trip I conducted a thorough safety check which included checking the propane lines. I discovered a gas leak at the regulator coming from the pigtail line to one of the tanks. The dealer gave me a replacement and everything was fine.
Now, I am in the second week of a three week trip and traveling through Colorado. Every evening as the temperatures cooled I would notice a distinct smell of propane. I chalked it up to my neighbors propane campfire until the third night when they were not there. I began investigating and quickly discovered that the smell was coming from my propane tanks. This time it was the pigtail leading to the other tank. I could hear and smell the gas leaking. I did a soapy water check of all the connections prior to departure and have not removed the propane tank cover or moved the lines in any way since then.
I went to an RV dealer in Durango to get a replacement line and they told me the type of connection I had commonly failed. In my case, 2 for 2 = a 100% failure rate. Attached is a picture showing the type of crimped hose connection that leaks. The area where the brass connects to the silver metal part is where the gas leaks from as indicated by the blue arrow. I am just posting this so other people with similar connections can be aware. My suggestion would be to replace the lines. The line on the right tank is the one previously replaced. Click image for larger version

Name:	38764348-BC66-4E17-A2B7-9F744C2E7987.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	34014
Dogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
Blackrock

When you change one change both of them. My LP dealer had some nice steel braided lines that I replaced mine with.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
Dogon

Totally agree. Change a tank/s or regulator, change the lines also. I just did not realize I should do that two weeks in.
Thank you Blackrock.
P.S.Love the braided line Idea. I used them extensively back in my car guy days but mostly for show as they look awesome. Not sure it is worth the expense when they are under a cover all the time.
Dogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
WJQ

Propane Leak Found

The regulator that came on my 2018 Cougar looked like the one in your picture. Thus, you may not have solved the last problem.

A couple of weeks ago I was at my son's house for dinner when I got a call from the owner of my storage location. He said, " I walked by your trailer and smelled propane." I was testing my fridge but it could be deferred so I asked him to shut off the tank.

The next day, I took my liquid gas leak solution and swabbed every connection I could find but found no bubbles. Making a long and frustrating series of checks over several days and one camping trip (and the loss of over more than 10 gallons of propane), I still could not find a leak.

After my camping trip, on some other website, I discovered that all regulators have a "vent" that will leak propane if the regulator diaphragm fails. It is on the bottom of the regulator and clearly visible if you know to look for it. No matter how much I understand about RV equipment(about 40 years owning two trailers and two motorhomes), there is always something new to learn (and to fix).

I replaced the OEM regulator with a Flame King (KT12ACR6) 2-Stage Auto Changeover LP Propane Gas Regulator (Amazon) and I now have no leak. The OEM regulator was probably a Wintec 6020 which seems to be sold under various other seller's names.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane