Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
NicL2479

Question 3295RK water heater size and heat time?

Hello, we just got a 2005 Keystone Big Sky Montana 3295RK. We don't know the size of the water heater, we let it heat for about 35-40 minutes. Then I attempted to take a shower. The water was warm for maybe 2-3 minutes. Then I shut it off an lathered hair and washed face, when I turned back on the water was cold. But I rinsed anyways, shut it off again, put conditioner in hair, rinsed hands, with the cold water, lathered legs, shaved legs, turned back on and its ice cold, but I finished rinsing off anyways. Why wasn't there any hot water after the first 2-3 minutes? Please help!!
NicL2479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:16 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicL2479 View Post
Hello, we just got a 2005 Keystone Big Sky Montana 3295RK. We don't know the size of the water heater, we let it heat for about 35-40 minutes. Then I attempted to take a shower. The water was warm for maybe 2-3 minutes. Then I shut it off an lathered hair and washed face, when I turned back on the water was cold. But I rinsed anyways, shut it off again, put conditioner in hair, rinsed hands, with the cold water, lathered legs, shaved legs, turned back on and its ice cold, but I finished rinsing off anyways. Why wasn't there any hot water after the first 2-3 minutes? Please help!!

To help answer questions in context go to the UserCP and add a signature. Top left of every page in the black band. Put your year, make and model of your camper and tow vehicle. It really does help.

Looked up specs for your camper and did find that the 2008 version had a 10 gallon hot water tank. Of course it only mentioned that it is propane fired but yours may be augmented by electricity. The way to tell is to go into the outside hot water heater access and let us know the make/model. My old 2002 has a Suburban hot water heater that is both propane and electric. You can tell from the model designation. On my unit, I first have to turn on the rocker switch on my monitor panel that says "heater" and a red light comes on, propane lights (I can hear it) and when lit, the light goes out. Then I go outside and on the bottom left in the outside access on the water heater itself is a black rocker switch. I turn than to the on position; it is hard to see. This causes the electric element to warm the water as well. First, make darn sure you have water in your tank as it is easy to burn up the heating element.

With a 10 gallon tank you may wish to wait a bit longer as it takes awhile to heat the water. With my 6 gallon tank I guess I would wait about an hour to shower and yours may take bit longer. I can take shower QUICKLY without turning the water off and if my wife wants to shower we do one in the evening and one in the morning type arrangement to ensure enough hot water. Thus is the life of a camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:00 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. It's common to get a few seconds of cold water after shutting off ghe water at the shower head. With the faucets open when you shut off the flow at the shower head the cold water will displace some of the water in the hot water line. If you do that you should be able to aim the water away from you for a couple of seconds until the temp resumes.

A couple of things to check. First is the water heater bypass valves. Find the water heater by looking for the cover outside. Then go inside to the same place and see what's there. It could be a kitchen cabinet or a bench or a bed. There will be a removeable panel to get to the plumbing on the WH. The WH winterizing valves will be on the pipes right at the WH.

Also check the outdide shower. They can have a valve on the showerhead to shut off the water and if the faucets are open and that valve is off the hot and cold water will mix. When you turn on the WH on gas go outside and listen gor some clicking sound. That's the ignightor and it shoild be followed by a low rumblebof the burner. There will be jo sound while using the electric heating element. Running the WH on propane will heat the water faster and you can ue the gas with the electric heating element to make it faster yet. Running it on hoth will shorten the recovery time after showering or dishwashing as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:12 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum. It's common to get a few seconds of cold water after shutting off ghe water at the shower head. With the faucets open when you shut off the flow at the shower head the cold water will displace some of the water in the hot water line. If you do that you should be able to aim the water away from you for a couple of seconds until the temp resumes.

A couple of things to check. First is the water heater bypass valves. Find the water heater by looking for the cover outside. Then go inside to the same place and see what's there. It could be a kitchen cabinet or a bench or a bed. There will be a removeable panel to get to the plumbing on the WH. The WH winterizing valves will be on the pipes right at the WH.

Also check the outdide shower. They can have a valve on the showerhead to shut off the water and if the faucets are open and that valve is off the hot and cold water will mix. When you turn on the WH on gas go outside and listen gor some clicking sound. That's the ignightor and it shoild be followed by a low rumblebof the burner. There will be jo sound while using the electric heating element. Running the WH on propane will heat the water faster and you can ue the gas with the electric heating element to make it faster yet. Running it on hoth will shorten the recovery time after showering or dishwashing as well.

Just want to point out the OP took a shower and water came out the hot water side. Didn't stay warm long. Bypass must be correctly set else no water. Not sure about the outside shower thing. How long would a 10 gallon water heater have to heat to be fully warmed through on propane or both propane and electric? Seems to me longer than the time the OP noted.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just want to point out the OP took a shower and water came out the hot water side. Didn't stay warm long. Bypass must be correctly set else no water. Not sure about the outside shower thing. How long would a 10 gallon water heater have to heat to be fully warmed through on propane or both propane and electric? Seems to me longer than the time the OP noted.
Water will always come out the hot side, in bypass or not. If the bypass valve is not fully turned in one mode or the other than cold will mix with the hot. As for time I think 40 min should be sufficiant on LP, electric alone may take longer but not hours.

The other issue is define "hot". For me and my DW that's a wide gap.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater