Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #41
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3Dtraveler View Post
Hookd, your reply was a breath of fresh air, thanks.
I looked up the part number on the airbags that I had ordered and it does not match the part number for my new truck. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow morning and see what we can do. I do intend to add the airbags.
How do you add pictures to these post? I was trying to add a picture in another post I had about a waste water tank release valve and it kept asking me for a URL for the location of the picture.
Not sure what that's all about.
Adding pics:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7518

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #42
John3Dtraveler

I'm going first thing in the morning to talk with them. I was supposed to bring my truck in at 8 a.m. for the installation. I'm sure they'll be able to do something..
John3Dtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #43
John3Dtraveler

Thanks, I'll try it out
Old 05-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Somebody special ordered an F350 and then backed out.
I just bought it. No worries about towing now!
Quote:
Hookd, your reply was a breath of fresh air, thanks.
I looked up the part number on the airbags that I had ordered and it does not match the part number for my new truck. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow morning and see what we can do. I do intend to add the airbags.
How do you add pictures to these post? I was trying to add a picture in another post I had about a waste water tank release valve and it kept asking me for a URL for the location of the picture.
Not sure what that's all about.
Well I have never been in need of adding air bags to my TV, even when towing with our 2001 Ram Laramie 2500 which when we changed to our current TV was 1,700# over it's GVWR of 8,800#. While we were still under the rear axle rating, and it towed fine. I was like Flyboy, wasn't worried about the ablity to pull or handle, just what would happen if in an accident, my falt or not!
I have stated many times that a 5er's best attribute is also it's worst feature, that is it's natural stability. As this is your first RV and possibility your first time pulling a trailer you might not have anything to compare to, so likely to be a pleasant experience. Our 5er has a 2,700# pin and I was concerned that with me, DW and smaller dog 30# and stuff we carrying in the in bed tool box that a Ram 3500 SRW at 12,300# GVWR and about 4,200# payload we would be close on weight.

Here are the two different TV's with the same 5er.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:33 AM   #45
John3Dtraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbs up.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	33328
Old 05-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #46
Ken / Claudia

To answer the how to get the weight checked for any vehicle after a crash and the reconstruct investigator wants that data. In Oregon we went to DOT and barrowed their single portable scale in sets of 2. They called them a jump scale. The vehicles are examined fully at the police impound or tow yard, never at the scene. I was not a reconstructionist, but co workers and a close friend were. I once took them back to DOT as a favor for the reconstruct guy.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #47
Wohnmobil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
To answer the how to get the weight checked for any vehicle after a crash and the reconstruct investigator wants that data. In Oregon we went to DOT and barrowed their single portable scale in sets of 2. They called them a jump scale. The vehicles are examined fully at the police impound or tow yard, never at the scene. I was not a reconstructionist, but co workers and a close friend were. I once took them back to DOT as a favor for the reconstruct guy.
That’s exactly how we did it. Couldn’t get that information from the vehicles computer.

2020 Chevrolet 2500HD LT/Z71 4X4 6.6L Gasser CC
2021 Cougar Half-Ton 22RDS
Husky CenterLine TS
Wohnmobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #48
markcee

You now have info on how to post pics.....so, for my own edification, and has Rhagfo (and others I believe) have asked, please post the yellow/white/black payload sticker from the door pillar of your vehicle. Curious to see the rating and where you stand with regards to this trailer as I was in a similar situation. Still think you may be pushing into dually turf, but you are certainly better off than you were.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:50 AM   #49
John3Dtraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
You now have info on how to post pics.....so, for my own edification, and has Rhagfo (and others I believe) have asked, please post the yellow/white/black payload sticker from the door pillar of your vehicle. Curious to see the rating and where you stand with regards to this trailer as I was in a similar situation. Still think you may be pushing into dually turf, but you are certainly better off than you were.
Here ya go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 croppedjpg.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	33358
Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 AM   #50
notanlines

John, what Mark said above, "Still think you may be pushing into dually turf, but you are certainly better off than you were." is certainly true. You will be over your cargo capacity by a few hundred pounds when you roll the CAT scale fully loaded and ready to roll, in my opinion. Don't listen to the BS stories saying your bike in the back will bring it into the envelope. Not true. That thousand pounds in the garage will make very, very little difference in your pin weight.
I also have been in your position, more or less, over the years, but I'm not certain that I see a need to install the bags. Maybe you should wait and see what sag you have and if everything needs leveling.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:05 AM   #51
wiredgeorge

The pin weight for the trailer in question is over 3900 lbs. This is estimated by taking 23 percent of the gross weight of the trailer BUT the trailer has a 4K payload capacity which will likely never be seen. The SRW new truck likely will be OK and while a dually might have been optimal, I think some scales info will show he is not exceeding his new truck's payload by much, if any.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #52
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The pin weight for the trailer in question is over 3900 lbs. This is estimated by taking 23 percent of the gross weight of the trailer BUT the trailer has a 4K payload capacity which will likely never be seen. The SRW new truck likely will be OK and while a dually might have been optimal, I think some scales info will show he is not exceeding his new truck's payload by much, if any.
I think George's bottom line above is correct; his percentages and payload statement may not apply to the OP's toy hauler. Toy haulers don't exactly fit the normal 5th wheel weight norms because the trailer has to be designed to be safe with weight distribution in either a "toy loaded" condition or an "empty garage" condition. So with a garage having a payload of 3,000# (actual on our Raptor), you might see some odd numbers with a toy hauler when comparing weights with loaded vs. empty garage. Our 2018 Raptor 353TS is nearly identical in specs to the OP's Impact 367. Loading a heavy toy (Motorcycle, side-by-side, etc.) in the garage can make a significant change in the hitch weight of the trailer. I am not suggesting you will see a 3,000# shift front to back - it will be some significantly smaller percentage.

Our Raptor has a GVWR of 17,000#, a payload of 3,100#, and had an advertised hitch weight of 3,200# (19%). Unfortunately, I have never scaled the rig with the garage in an empty condition. The CAT scaled hitch weight with my Can Am Rock Crawler LOADED is 2,840# (16.7% of GVWR). I am guessing the weight of the Can Am rock crawler to be about 1500#.

From a trailer payload standpoint, we have struggled to stay within the 14K# axle ratings on this trailer. Our Raptor has a lot of options in the back that I don't see listed with the OP's rig; extra awnings, party deck railing, 3 season sliding doors, two 30 gal fuel tanks, etc. all of which add total weight to the trailer, subtract from the payload available, and help reduce the tongue weight (by only a small percentage). So, the OP very well COULD see the 4K payload consumed, depending on how/what he loads in the garage.

We are very happy we bought a DRW; I love the stability and extra payload - but we probably would also have been OK with the payload of a SRW F350. I wanted more "extra capacity" in the trailer axles, so recently upgraded to 8K axles & springs, MORryde cross members, HD shackles and wet bolts, and disc brakes. Expensive, but worth every penny!

Hope that helps the OP.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:20 AM   #53
wiredgeorge

Curious why a guy named Brad would used a screen name LouisB. Also, we hit our 50th in February next year unless my missus divorces me prior. . Who might win this race to 50 years of wedded bliss?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #54
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Curious why a guy named Brad would used a screen name LouisB. Also, we hit our 50th in February next year unless my missus divorces me prior. . Who might win this race to 50 years of wedded bliss?
When I joined the forum in 2013, I was still working. At work, they required us to use last name+first initial for our network identification. So when they asked for a screen name, "LewisB" just auto-typed right out of my hands. How's that for creative original thinking?

The DW and I will celebrate our 50th in early December - I always tell her it was on "Pearl Harbor Day" and she always reminds me that is technically not correct. She wants to have a re-do on our vows at church - she says I need the reminder.

Congratulations to the two of you.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #55
wiredgeorge

I had a redo at the church on our 25th and have no wish to repeat that ceremony. My kids and sister are planning something which I hope doesn't end up costing me too much. I would like to go to a nice RV park, let them watch my critters and sit in my recliner and watch TV till the anniversary passes quietly but don't think I will be consulted regarding festivities. My wife wanted to fly overseas but I told her i was on the "no fly" list.