Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
jim1

No Max p.s.i. rating on the rims

Hi, I pulled a tire and rim off of my 2019 cougar 315 RLS to find out the max air pressure that is supposedly stamped into the inside of the rim. Nothing, Made in China, max weight 3250lbs, and Wang Su, whatever that is but no max psi. Anyone have any other ideas. I'm putting Sailun 235/80/16 on and they are capable of 110 p.s.i. max. Just wondering if there is some where else to look. Thanks
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi, I pulled a tire and rim off of my 2019 cougar 315 RLS to find out the max air pressure that is supposedly stamped into the inside of the rim. Nothing, Made in China, max weight 3250lbs, and Wang Su, whatever that is but no max psi. Anyone have any other ideas. I'm putting Sailun 235/80/16 on and they are capable of 110 p.s.i. max. Just wondering if there is some where else to look. Thanks
I have the same trailer and was wondering as well, seems aluminum wheels may not have a psi rating because they support much greater pressures and are only limited by the valve stem rating..someone will correct me if I’m wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BC25060-A796-4CC3-920E-8CDF34A53FAA.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	33092  
Old 04-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
jim1

Thanks jasin1 that's great info and makes sense. My tire guy told me they don't use rubber valve stems on anything over 85 psi but you can use steel ones for any psi. I well difinitly go with the steel stems, that was my biggest concern.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You need to double check what you are doing. Some wheels have max psi, max pressure or both. At 3520 I believe you are looking at a load range E tire in that size maxxed at 80psi. If you are looking at Sailuns in the same size with a max of 110psi sounds like you are looking at LRG. The wheels won't support that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
bobbecky

If you go to this link, there are many wheels pictured on this page and the following pages and each has specs for the wheels. Maybe this will get you closer. If this doesn't work, and you want the G rated tires, maybe upgrading the wheels would be the answer. https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...egory=&page=29

The wheels that can handle G range tires and 110 psi will be at least rated 3750 lbs of capacity or more. Anything less than that are probably rated for F range tires or less.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The back of every aluminum cast wheel I've seen has the max weight rating cast into the spoke. I'll post a photo of my wheel casting. There are two ratings, One is 5H and the other is 6H. My wheel casting is a 15" and the only difference is the number of lug holes drilled in the casting. With 5 lug holes, it's rated at 2150 pounds and with 6 lugs, the wheel is rated at 2830 pounds.

The PSI rating for the casting is "standardized by the tire pressure rating". When fitted with 225 75R15 LRD tires (max pressure 65PSI) the wheel is rated to support 2150 pounds. When fitted with 225 75R15 LRE tires (max pressure 80PSI) the wheel is rated to support 2830 pounds.

The "rub" or the "fly in the ointment" is not the casting. Rather it's the configuration of the lugs that determines the load rating (and therefore the PSI rating) for the wheel....

On 16x6" aluminum wheels with 6 lugs, the maximum capacity is significantly lower than a 16x6" wheel with 8 lugs and therefore, the "max PSI" the wheel can support is limited as well....

Depending on whether your trailer has 6 lug or 8 lug wheels will play a significant factor in the amount of weight it can support. Take a look at the rear spokes on your wheel, you'll find a weight rating cast in the wheel spokes. If that rating is 3520 pounds, then the wheel is rated for 80 PSI and "MAY NOT" be rated to carry 3750 pounds at 110 PSI in a LRG tire.... So, if you have 6 or 8 lug wheels, there is a SIGNIFICANT load capacity difference. Don't assume that all 16" wheels are equal.... They aren't !!!

Find the casting weight rating on the rear of your wheel and look up that specific number on an ST tire load chart. it will relate to a specific tire ply/tire size and a specific PSI rating.... You can be sure that your wheels will support "THAT WEIGHT/PRESSURE" but you can't assume that the wheel will suppor more weight or more pressure without contacting the manufacturer of the wheel to get the information....

Here's the castings that are on my wheels:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COUGAR WHEEL.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	33093  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:43 AM   #7
CWtheMan

All wheels are certified and standardized by the SAE. There is no provision in the regulations that requires the wheel manufacturer to identify the maximum load capacity and/or the maximum PSI rating. It’s the tire manufacturer’s responsibility to identify the proper wheels for all tires they build. They MUST provide that information to the public. When in a tire retailer’s place of business, ask to see the wheel/rim chart for the tires you are buying.

OEM providers may work a deal with their wheel provider to identify each wheel by load capacity and sometimes both load capacity and maximum PSI value if applicable.

Wheel manufacturers are required by federal regulations to provide information on each wheel they build. The minimum information will include the tire model, size and manufacturer’s name.

When your wheels are marked with just a load capacity, that’s the maximum load capacity for that wheel. Whatever PSI is needed to gain that load capacity from the tire is acceptable. When a wheel is marked with a PSI rating, that’s the highest acceptable cold inflation allowed for that wheel.

Whenever in doubt, get the information from the wheel manufacturer. They are required by regulation to provide you with that information.

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S5.2 refers.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:46 AM   #8
jasin1

Good to know about the 6 vs 8 lug wheel ratings,mine are 6 so I guess I can’t go up a load range.
You almost need to be a detective to own an rv.
I figured someone or a bunch of someone’s would correct me
Etrailer seems like a reputable site and I know they were referencing a specific aluminum wheel in the first answered question...but the second one was for any aluminum wheel but they could have misspoke on that one.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #9
ChuckS

Also the valve stem has not a thing to do with the max pressure rating on any wheel... The standard usually is ALL metal screw on for tires using over 80 psi cold inflation. a Good tire place wont put anything on but that during a tire replacement... OEM... you get what they give...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If you go to this link, there are many wheels pictured on this page and the following pages and each has specs for the wheels. Maybe this will get you closer. If this doesn't work, and you want the G rated tires, maybe upgrading the wheels would be the answer. https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...egory=&page=29

The wheels that can handle G range tires and 110 psi will be at least rated 3750 lbs of capacity or more. Anything less than that are probably rated for F range tires or less.
I would use eTrailer or about any other source than Trekwood. They may have exactly what you want/need, but their shipping cost are absolutely ridiculous. You could probably buy a couple sets of tires & wheels for what they charge to ship 4 wheels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote