Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Mmeyer

Wet bolts

Looking to upgrade to wet bolts but not really sure what kit I need. I have 2019 cougar 336rds with road armor suspension tandem axle.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmeyer View Post
Looking to upgrade to wet bolts but not really sure what kit I need. I have 2019 cougar 336rds with road armor suspension tandem axle.
Contact MorRyde with that information & measure center to center of the shackle bolts & they'll give you the correct part number then order them from wherever you chose.
I'd recommend the heavy shackle & wet bolt kit.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
drew999999

I just finished up my wet bolt install today. I also have the Road Armor suspension, but no wet bolts from the factory. To figure out which kit you'd need, you will need to measure the distance between the bolts on your existing shackles. Most are 2 1/4 inch or 3 1/8 inch. This would be the measurement between the centers of 2 bolts attached to the same shackle.

My install took the 3 1/8 inch shackles and I picked up the kit on Amazon for about $100. Install was time consuming, but not hard by any means. The Road Armor has bronze bushings already installed, so the only nylon bushings that will need to be tapped out are on the springs. Was very easy to remove them with a screwdriver and rubber mallet. New bronze bushings tapped in very easily with the rubber mallet.

If you're fairly handy with wrenching on cars, this is a pretty simple DIY project with quite a few YouTube videos to prep with. Nothing more than simple hand tools and a torque wrench was needed. I didn't have any issues knocking the pressed in bolts from the spring hangers and used a 3lb hammer to hit a nut that was partially on the bolt. Some choose to use a ball joint press which would be very helpful, but I was too lazy to stop at Autozone to rent one.

Here's the kit that I used: Morryde UO12-021 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Just wanted to add that the reason that I tackled this was to help quiet my rig down when pulling into campgrounds. Off the lot, my 5er was SUPER squeaky. I didn't find any nylon bushings that were totally worn through, but lots of rust/dust that couldn't have helped much. I don't think they would have held up much longer. Also had 1 shackle that had opened up enough that the bolt was able to rotate freely. This is on a 2 year old 5th wheel.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
I just finished up my wet bolt install today. I also have the Road Armor suspension, but no wet bolts from the factory. To figure out which kit you'd need, you will need to measure the distance between the bolts on your existing shackles. Most are 2 1/4 inch or 3 1/8 inch. This would be the measurement between the centers of 2 bolts attached to the same shackle.

My install took the 3 1/8 inch shackles and I picked up the kit on Amazon for about $100. Install was time consuming, but not hard by any means. The Road Armor has bronze bushings already installed, so the only nylon bushings that will need to be tapped out are on the springs. Was very easy to remove them with a screwdriver and rubber mallet. New bronze bushings tapped in very easily with the rubber mallet.

If you're fairly handy with wrenching on cars, this is a pretty simple DIY project with quite a few YouTube videos to prep with. Nothing more than simple hand tools and a torque wrench was needed. I didn't have any issues knocking the pressed in bolts from the spring hangers and used a 3lb hammer to hit a nut that was partially on the bolt. Some choose to use a ball joint press which would be very helpful, but I was too lazy to stop at Autozone to rent one.

Here's the kit that I used: Morryde UO12-021 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Just wanted to add that the reason that I tackled this was to help quiet my rig down when pulling into campgrounds. Off the lot, my 5er was SUPER squeaky. I didn't find any nylon bushings that were totally worn through, but lots of rust/dust that couldn't have helped much. I don't think they would have held up much longer. Also had 1 shackle that had opened up enough that the bolt was able to rotate freely. This is on a 2 year old 5th wheel.
Many find pressing the bronze bushings into the equalizer the hardest part. What I did was day before install I bought about a pound of dry ice, put the bushings in the bag and bag in our freezer. The next day I took the nylon out by pushing with screwdriver, then used my Vice to easily press in the new frozen bushings.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can also use a heavy duty "C clamp" to push the bushings into the spring eyes...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
drew999999

Just an update after the first time pulling my rig with the wet bolt kit installed. Prior to install, it was nearly embarrassing pulling into a campground due to the squeaks and groans. It was insanely loud. It's now totally silent. Like stealth mode silent. For a moderately easy $100 upgrade, this seems to be the best bang for the buck upgrade I've done so far.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Bill-2020

I typically announce our arrival at a camp ground with my knees and ankles squeeking and me groaning as I get out of the truck.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #8
Summergirl

We recently did the wet bolts a upgraded the equalizer on our trailer. What a difference. So quiet now.