Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
Eastham

Ma pike to taconic parkway

Going to rt 81 south.from spfld ma. Is ma.pike to exit 2 then tonic parkway south better than 91 s to Hartford and get 84 to 81? Is the milage much different. Going in a car not towing. Trying to avoid Waterbury and Danbury
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

If you are hell bent on avoiding Waterbury and Danbury, take the Mass Pike to the Taconic, then 84 West to 81 South in Scranton. The mileage is longer, the route is slower, and there are tolls but you avoid the cities you are looking to avoid.

Personally, unless you are planning on traveling during morning or evening commutes, I would just take 91 to Hartford and get on 84 West. Passing through Waterbury and Danbury don’t bother me in the least. I have done it in a car, on a motorcycle, towing a cargo trailer and hauling my camper (not all at the same time) I use the Waze app and it has never steered me wrong.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Eastham

Thanks for the information. I usually go 84 through waterbury and Danbury. Not really bad .I had been told the pike to the tatonic and down to 84 was a little longer but faster. I figured I would see what other options were.i just came back from fla doing the 81 to 84 seems to take forever. Going back to fla fri I am debating thei84 way or the 95 Jersey turnpike way.i have done the same trip for 40 plus years always looking for a better way. Thanks for you information.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
Eastham

Well if anyone is interested. I did do the mass pike to the tatonic pkw. Missing Hartford Danbury and waterbury. It was a slower speed limit. And tolls as Bulldog mentioned but ride was so much more pleasant and it turned out to take the same amount of time as 91 to 84.would I do it again? Definitely would
Old 03-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Awesome, glad it was a good experience!

I would probably prefer that route when traveling for work, but I have a branded car and NY is very tough on “commercial” vehicles on the parkways.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
LHaven

It was my understanding that any NY road with "parkway" in the name was for auto traffic only, unsuitable for RVs. The ambiguous signs say "no commercial vehicles," and of course, your RV isn't one... and everything is fun and games until you hit your first low bridge. We made the mistake of saying yes two years ago when Waze suggested it knew a better way west (a mental lapse for sure) and ended up on some NY parkway. Turned off as soon as we were notified about the problematic bridge, but ended up on a road that dead-ended, with no turnaround prospects. That's a mistake we won't be making again.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
Eastham

You are correct. I was in my car. pkw had signs no trucks rvs commercial vechicles..my tv also has commercial plates on it so that wouldn't work either .but with car it was great.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
cavie

Yep, No RV's on the parkway. I got lucky. Officer chased me off at the next intersection.