Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
KimberDon

Bigger 5th wheel upgrade considerations

We are currently mostly full timing in a 36-foot Montana fifth wheel being pulled by a 2019 F-350 diesel super cab short bed srw. We are considering upgrading the trailer to a Montana 381 TH or the Grand Design equivalent with the raisable bed over the garage. Among the concerns are the additional length at over 41 feet with 3 axles and the maneuverability aspect, to include getting into National and state park campgrounds. The additional pin weight is also a concern with the srw. Anyone with experience or advice regarding this is encouraged to offer whatever you can.
KimberDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your in DRW territory and most likely a 2 Ton truck. Most national parks will be on your “NO” list.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
travelin texans

We fulltimed in a 40' 5th wheel that for most state/national parks, especially wooded areas, we were too long/tall to manuever through their maze of boulders & low hanging limbs to get their so called "big rig" sites. If that's where you plan to spend a lot nights unhook the RV & drive through BEFORE attempting to camp there, could save yourself a lot of grieve.
As for the truck, we had a diesel dually & wouldn't of wanted any less for our length & weight. But there are LOTS out there with 350/3500 srw towing as big or bigger. The only sure way to know is head to the scales with your driver's door sticker info, RV manufacturers GVWR from the sticker on YOUR RV & FYI dry weights for RVs & max tow weights for trucks are totally useless info to you.
Unfortunately for the rest of us on the highways with them there's a bunch of clueless folks out there towing that TH, & bigger, with 250/2500s & "can't tell it's even back there!" or "the dealer said I could tow anything on the lot with my truck!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberDon View Post
We are currently mostly full timing in a 36-foot Montana fifth wheel being pulled by a 2019 F-350 diesel super cab short bed srw. We are considering upgrading the trailer to a Montana 381 TH or the Grand Design equivalent with the raisable bed over the garage. Among the concerns are the additional length at over 41 feet with 3 axles and the maneuverability aspect, to include getting into National and state park campgrounds. The additional pin weight is also a concern with the srw. Anyone with experience or advice regarding this is encouraged to offer whatever you can.
With a GVWR of right at 17,000 lbs, you need a Dually for that one. If you load it up to the GVWR or close to it, you are going to be putting at least 3400-3500 lbs down as pin weight. That number is based on the common 20% calculation. Many times, the pin will be even higher than the 20%. Some of them out there are at 22-25% and you will not find a SRW truck with that kind of payload capacity. A one Ton Dually of almost any of the big three would likely work for you, depending on your preference as far as trim level. I have a 2016 F350 Dually that is a loaded up King Ranch and it still has 5270 lbs of payload. Grand Design trailers are also known for being on the heavy side, so probably not much different than the Montana in that regard.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
gearhead

We went from a Montana HC that was maybe 35' to the Landmark that is 40'. Went from a pin weight of about 3500# to close to 4500#. Towed the Montana with a diesel F350 SRW, a Ram diesel 3500 SRW, and the current Ram DRW. I don't think we ever spent a night in a National Park with the Montana, and don't even look with the Landmark. But the NP camping we have wanted to do is Smokey Mtn NP, so far. Just find a commercial RV park outside the gates.
My Ram 3500 SRW had a payload of 4100#. I felt the 3500# was about as heavy as I wanted to go on the SRW.
Just going down the road with the 40' is no big deal. I haven't had any problem maneuvering in any RV park or COE park.
Just me, but if I was paying money for a new 40' RV it would have to have full body paint. I also wanted the 17.5" wheels with Sailin LR H tires. I wish I had disc brakes, although the drums have been no problem.
You're just going to have to get a DRW with that rig.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, upgrade