Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan64 View Post
The sensors are not accurate as mentioned! After I empty the tank, I put about a gallon of water in the tank, a cap full of Calgon Water Softener and a little bit of Dawn Dish soap. It is not perfect but I have good luck with this combo. It helps keep the sensors working (although no guarantee).
I just give the entire family an ounce of castor oil in their breakfast juice every morning. Not only do my sensors work fine now, but my slides stay lubed.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #22
Bobmueller

Black Tank Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ859 View Post
New to forum recently bought a 2013 Cougar having trouble with the volume in
my black tanker sensor shows 1/3 when empty any help would be good Thanks in advance.
The OEM gauges on all RVs are notoriously inaccurate.
I suggest you go with the flow.
If 1/3 is empty then that should be your empty mark.
Fill the black tank with water and see where the gauge is when it is full. That is your full mark.
If it shows full and you know it isn’t, then you’ll just have to know your waste production and empty it when you think it is full.
I tried a very expensive system like motorhomes have and it didn’t work at all.
I went back to the old system after wasting $600.00 and now just estimate.
Bobmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Pay attention to your EARS !!! Yes, the toilet (Dometic or Thetford) sounds different as the black tank gets full. The last 3 or 4 flushes will "GURGLE" in the vent stack. You'll KNOW when your black tank is full if you have even half your "normal hearing".....

I honestly can't remember when I pressed any of the buttons on my status indicator panel. Even if I wasn't sure of the status, a quick "fill the bowl 1/3 full, push the pedal and I'll know approximately how full the toilet is based on the sound. I'd suspect that "my ears are more accurate than the sensors" and it's very likely that if you "listen" yours will be as well.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

"I tried a very expensive system like motorhomes have and it didn’t work at all."

I think part of the problem is the relatively "shallow" tanks used in trailers. The tanks are designed to fit within the frame and therefore are fairly shallow and thus the tank sensors are fairly close. Combine with the operator Flushing with "insufficient" amount of water, not Flushing the tank out, calcium/mineral build up from "hard water" the "cheap" sensors often just don't have a chance of ever working properly. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #25
travelin texans

I'm fairly certain the manufacturer of the tank sensors are in cahoots with all makers of sensor cleaning products & potions, which don't work, so both are making money from folks that think they can magically get the sensors to be accurate. Wish I'd of thought of it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #26
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Pay attention to your EARS !!!.....
X2^^ If your ears are wet, you either need to quit standing on your head or warn mama before you open the bathroom door!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #27
jimborokz

After dumping the black tank and shutting off valve I casually walk back to the convenience center to shut off the black tank flush. This I figure gives me about 2 gal of water in the tank. I then add one cup each of Calgon and laundry soap filling the bowl with water each time. By now I should have about 4 gal. of water in tank and the sensor will read 1/3. I usually leave the grey tanks open and once I have 2/3 in the black or three lights I close grey valves. I wait till I hear the toilet burp or that gurgling sound referred to above, usually two days.
I now dump the black tank and start the whole process over again. This process has worked well for me for the 6 years we have been half timing.
My sensors are a accurate as I could expect. They are at best only a relative gauge as to levels. As stated these tanks are quite shallow so it's very difficult to get an accurate vertical measurement.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I just give the entire family an ounce of castor oil in their breakfast juice every morning. Not only do my sensors work fine now, but my slides stay lubed.
Oh my, I hope you mean the slide valves! Otherwise, maybe you should try to get a spot in the campground closer to the bath house.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank