Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
amxwll

Cool Hello and help!

Just joined this forum and just bought a new Cougar 315 RLS (2020) and can't wait to take it out this weekend on it's maiden voyage.

I am wanting to add an additional pantry shelf to this and it seems to be a big deal to the parts guy at our CampingWorld. Trekwood was no help either. Any ideas?

Thanks!
amxwll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Roscommon48

what's the issue? not familiar with this model but find the 'studs' and put a shelf in. We've done it a couple of rvs ago.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The 315rls….wow. We were just looking at one several days ago and one of the questions I asked the sales manager, who was showing us the unit, was about adding an additional shelf in the pantry. He said "no problem". I asked if they could order one or take one out of an existing unit and he said they would work it out. Now whether he knew what he was talking about or not I don't know because he had made a few other comments that indicated he didn't know much.

On the other hand, those are just shelves that fit into and adjusting notches on the side. It would probably be much simpler, and cheaper, to just make one that matches and drop it in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Pull Toy

Welcome from Connecticut!

If your talking about adding shelves to an existing closet type structure, try Lowe's or Home Depot. Our 5er has quite a bit of storage. But it was almost 50% wasted because the existing shelves were so far apart.

You can buy prefinished shelf boards in a variety of wood grains. Cut them to fit and mount them between the existing shelves in any number of ways. If you're not to sure how to, take some pictures with you. The Helpers at these places are phenomenal at making suggestions.

Let us know how you make out, and enjoy your new camper!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Shasta Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxwll View Post
Just joined this forum and just bought a new Cougar 315 RLS (2020) and can't wait to take it out this weekend on it's maiden voyage.

I am wanting to add an additional pantry shelf to this and it seems to be a big deal to the parts guy at our CampingWorld. Trekwood was no help either. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Welcome to the 315 Club, keep me informed of what you do to add a new shelve in the pantry.
Shasta Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
LHaven

Most of the cabinetry in all our travel trailers was able to benefit from add-on shelving, to divide a too-tall area into two shorter areas.

For quick and dirty (and cheap), you can look for light wire shelving units like these in whatever sizes you need. You can find various sizes at Walmart, Target, Ace, dollar stores, whatever.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
wonderwhere2wander

We had issues with the cheap plastic shelf holders breaking. We took the out and put in metal shelf brackets we got from Home Depot.
wonderwhere2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
Canonman

We added a shelf in our pantry. I used 1x2 around the three interior sides for the shelf to sit on, fixing those to the existing walls with wire nails and Gorilla glue. The shelf was 3/8" maple we had on hand. Once the shelf was cut to fit and in place, more Gorilla glue and wire nails from the outside of the two sides where access was available for the nail gun. 3rd year and still holding most of the canned goods we carry.
All items were available at the Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-7942.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	23530  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
7Iron

Additional shelf

As you already know, there is no need to add a 1x2 strip to hold the shelf as the panty has holding clips about every 3-4 inches or so that allows you to place the 4 shelves that comes with 315RLS at just about any level (plane) that you want.

If I wanted to match , I would have my dealer order a replacement from Keystone but I would probably go to lowes and get material and cut to size on my table top....
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
Canonman

Nice that the 315 RLS has adjustable shelves. Would have made adding a shelf much easier, also much more useable overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3132.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	23691  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote