Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #41
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
That's a big no no!
Manual wise it is a big no no. BUT when we had a Lippert factory tech check our 6 point leveling system he did it and said it was no big deal. Since then have done it twice myself.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #42
Randyf7f

Just R&R'd a few tires on our triple axle toy hauler. I used a jack under the frame rails, then placed jack stands on each side, aft of the wheels. Rig was not hitched to the truck. I took most, but not all of the weight off the wheels with the jack stands, then loosened the lug nuts just enough so that I could remove them with not too much effort once I raised each tire off the ground (independantly) with a bottle jack under the end of the axle. I extended the jack a couple inches or so before it touched the axle, to avoid it bottoming (and not being able to remove it). I never had more than two wheels off of a side at any time, as I was on a very slight incline, and wanted to keep chocks under the remaining wheels. I have heavy-duty jack stands, and would not want to rely on those not rated, or suited (mine have a wide base) for the load. A good gust of wind might ruin one's day.

Good time to clean and repack the bearings, change the seals, and adjust and test the brakes (though I would not be under the axles, even while on jack stands, unless the wheels were in place.

With regard to the wheels: Heed Keystone's torque and re-torque procedure religously, and do not let a shop impact the wheels on, even with torque-sticks. I'll use an impact to remove a wheel now and then, but always hand tighten them on. The last owner had wheels come loose - they wobbled around so violently that two or three wheel studs snapped off- a wonder they stopped the rig before one departed. I always carry a torque wrench and check frequently. After any wheel R&R, it usually takes three or four retorques before they hold the torque value (for our rig, the manual says 110-120 ft.lbs. and to retorque at 10, 25, 50 miles, then before each trip). I'm always surprised how much they loosen in the first 10-20 miles.
Randyf7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #43
James p

Tire Chamge

Probably the best trailer tire is the new GOOYEAR Assurance, made in the USA.

Next would probably be the MAXXIS/

Like a tire shop due the changes.
James p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #44
KimNTerry

Goodyear Assurance is a passenger tire.
Endurance is the trailer tire from Goodyear.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #45
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by James p View Post
Probably the best trailer tire is the new GOOYEAR Assurance, made in the USA.

Next would probably be the MAXXIS/

Like a tire shop due the changes.
I think virtually every Sailun s637 owner would disagree with your 1,2 rankings, especially if you take price into account. Even if you don't consider price, I would put the Sailuns up against any ST tire on the market!

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
I think virtually every Sailun s637 owner would disagree with your 1,2 rankings, especially if you take price into account. Even if you don't consider price, I would put the Sailuns up against any ST tire on the market!
Agreed. The same goes for Carlisle Radial Trail HD and the older Radial Trail RH lines. There are more and more "Chinese brands" coming on the market every day. Some are turning out to be quality tires, some are "rebranded junk".

In the "world of ST tires" those 4 brands tend to rise to the top: Carlisle, Goodyear (Endurance), Maxxis and Sailun... (alphabetically so not to rank in any order of quality).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #47
notanlines

James, when you come to this forum, you need to be ready to back things up. We, as a whole, like nothing better than a good heated discussion. Name-calling arguments.....no.
Come on back and give us hell about why you like the Assurance. I don't believe you can put the "Endurance" on your list because it just came out and has no track record.
We look forward to doing business with you.
Oh, by the way, I believe every regular member here has at one time or another been "mistaken." Actually, I'll admit to being wrong twice.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #48
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
James, when you come to this forum, you need to be ready to back things up. We, as a whole, like nothing better than a good heated discussion. Name-calling arguments.....no.
Come on back and give us hell about why you like the Assurance. I don't believe you can put the "Endurance" on your list because it just came out and has no track record.
We look forward to doing business with you.
Oh, by the way, I believe every regular member here has at one time or another been "mistaken." Actually, I'll admit to being wrong twice.....
I'll admit to 3 times but it was not my fault!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #49
Bohdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyf7f View Post
Just R&R'd a few tires on our triple axle toy hauler. I used a jack under the frame rails, then placed jack stands on each side, aft of the wheels. Rig was not hitched to the truck. I took most, but not all of the weight off the wheels with the jack stands, then loosened the lug nuts just enough so that I could remove them with not too much effort once I raised each tire off the ground (independantly) with a bottle jack under the end of the axle. I extended the jack a couple inches or so before it touched the axle, to avoid it bottoming (and not being able to remove it). I never had more than two wheels off of a side at any time, as I was on a very slight incline, and wanted to keep chocks under the remaining wheels. I have heavy-duty jack stands, and would not want to rely on those not rated, or suited (mine have a wide base) for the load. A good gust of wind might ruin one's day.

Good time to clean and repack the bearings, change the seals, and adjust and test the brakes (though I would not be under the axles, even while on jack stands, unless the wheels were in place.

With regard to the wheels: Heed Keystone's torque and re-torque procedure religously, and do not let a shop impact the wheels on, even with torque-sticks. I'll use an impact to remove a wheel now and then, but always hand tighten them on. The last owner had wheels come loose - they wobbled around so violently that two or three wheel studs snapped off- a wonder they stopped the rig before one departed. I always carry a torque wrench and check frequently. After any wheel R&R, it usually takes three or four retorques before they hold the torque value (for our rig, the manual says 110-120 ft.lbs. and to retorque at 10, 25, 50 miles, then before each trip). I'm always surprised how much they loosen in the first 10-20 miles.
Thanks. If I understood your message, did you raise your entire rig? Or just one side? I
Am just going to do one side. Thinking of simply putting a bottle jack on the rail right in front of the most front wheel. Maybe lifting a whole side? Doing three wheels? If I put the jack on the frame behind the most back wheel, seems like it isn’t the center of gravity. More of the center in front. Any advice.
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #50
RoscoeV

I'll never forget when I was a kid, my dad said he was wrong once in his life.... he said he thought he was wrong but then found he was actually right.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 AM   #51
Bohdan

Done

Thanks to all on the forum. Successfully changed two tires on my three axel rig. Interestingly enough, I was fortunate to do this on concrete. What would happen if on the road? Unlevel surfaces? How would an rv company do it? Bring a bunch of blocks? Cheers
Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #52
B4Dark

Tire Changing Cougar 26SAB

How do you jack a 26SAB 5th wheel with MorRyde CRE3000 suspension system to change a flat?
B4Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #53
Don N.

Same thing happened to me when I tried the trailer aid to change a flat....did not raise the flat tire high enough to put on the spare.....POS
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #54
Javi

I'll assure you that I have the Goodyear Endurance on my trailer, but I'm withholding judgment on them for now.

I jack my trailer up by pressing a button on the remote for my Ground Control 3.. [emoji16]