Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Freeheel4life

Some winter camping fun

Sooo..
We are the crazies that like to get out in the cold. For those that are cooped up and dreaming of getting the rig out, here's one of the best weeks Ive had in a while!

Snow was light and dry and everything went great. Moved the generator over to the truck and plugged it in while breaking camp and she fired right up. Was a bit concerned/curious as it sat all week unplugged in the lowest temps since we purchased it(thanks for all the help around here when I was shopping and after purchase!!).

Hopefully everyones winter rapidly turns to spring and we can all go play together!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_165744.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	20575   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_121049.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	20576   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_113812.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	20577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_120435.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	20578  
Freeheel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Tbos

Looks like you had a great time
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
TJO

Looks cold lol. Glad you guys had a good time.
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In mid-January we had about 40" of snow. That melted/froze/melted/drifted/froze and essentially froze the pole barn door to the ground. The same thing happened the first winter we had the Cougar stored in the pole barn and I thought I'd fixed the drainage/clearance issues so it wouldn't happen again.... Well, not with that much snow, so right now, we're "held captive" and can't get the Cougar out of the pole barn to head south. It was our plan to leave this week, head to south Louisiana, visit relatives, then head west along I-10 to El Paso and points west to the Grand Canyon, then head north to Reno/Lake Tahoe and as it warms up, head back east toward Yellowstone, then north to Glacier NP. By then we'd hoped it would be June and we could spend some time in the mountains with the Slingshot. Anyway, it looks like we're going to be about 30 days delayed, but who knows.... We've got the stuff to put in the trailer in boxes in the closet in the garage, so it's only a matter of throwing it all in the Cougar, hitching the Slingshot trailer and heading south. We'll de-winterize once we hit warm weather....

As for your "winter camping trip" It was -17F this morning when I woke up and the high today was 16F, so no thanks, You can "enjoy" all the winter camping you want, I'm happy that someone does, it just "ain't me"..... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
busterbrown

I think next week will springboard Michigan past the winter blues as I see 40s, 50s, and 60s projected for the much of the lower half. Like John, our shed is off limits due to ice build up and ground heaves in front of the doors. Our trip to AZ and UT is quickly approaching with a target departure date of March 22. I hope all we see around here is asphalt and concrete.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I think next week will springboard Michigan past the winter blues as I see 40s, 50s, and 60s projected for the much of the lower half. Like John, our shed is off limits due to ice build up and ground heaves in front of the doors. Our trip to AZ and UT is quickly approaching with a target departure date of March 22. I hope all we see around here is asphalt and concrete.
Wishful thinking, but man oh man I do hope you're right LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In mid-January we had about 40" of snow. That melted/froze/melted/drifted/froze and essentially froze the pole barn door to the ground. The same thing happened the first winter we had the Cougar stored in the pole barn and I thought I'd fixed the drainage/clearance issues so it wouldn't happen again.... Well, not with that much snow, so right now, we're "held captive" and can't get the Cougar out of the pole barn to head south. It was our plan to leave this week, head to south Louisiana, visit relatives, then head west along I-10 to El Paso and points west to the Grand Canyon, then head north to Reno/Lake Tahoe and as it warms up, head back east toward Yellowstone, then north to Glacier NP. By then we'd hoped it would be June and we could spend some time in the mountains with the Slingshot. Anyway, it looks like we're going to be about 30 days delayed, but who knows.... We've got the stuff to put in the trailer in boxes in the closet in the garage, so it's only a matter of throwing it all in the Cougar, hitching the Slingshot trailer and heading south. We'll de-winterize once we hit warm weather....

As for your "winter camping trip" It was -17F this morning when I woke up and the high today was 16F, so no thanks, You can "enjoy" all the winter camping you want, I'm happy that someone does, it just "ain't me"..... LOL
That sounds like a great trip plan!! Could a determined guy with a weedburner and a propane tank melt the ice enough to free the door without harming the building or is it some of that 6" thick sheet ice and its just a futile task??

Its was only single digits lows one night and teens as overnight lows. Coldest high was 19-21* depending on whos thermometer it was.
Fingers crossed you at lease get into a freeze thaw cycle as it sounds like you are sub freezing 24 hours a day still.
Freeheel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
ADQ K9

With my work schedule I am looking at mid April before I even think of breaking the Tumbleweed out of its snow enclosure. I can probably get the gates open with some Ice melter and some elbow grease but there is no where to take it as they don't do snow removal in the parks up here in the winter. I will see what I can do to add more winter pics to my gallery
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Alpine

High fives to ya!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Paden,

I had been "managing" the ice buildup all winter until that 4' in about 10 days. Once that hit the door and the sun started its work, we've currently got about 10-12 inches of solid ice buildup at the bottom of the sliding door. That door is a 2x6 wood frame with corrugated steel covering the frame, so any "torch work" would risk damaging the wood frame. I've got salt down to help melt it, but with temps below zero-mid teens, well, salt ain't working.... It'll get there, but it's a bit "self defeating" to have worked all winter to keep the door operational and "WHAM" .....

Oh well, with 3-4 feet of snow cover, there's great snowmobiling "anywhere and everywhere"

Lemons? Na, just too much lemonade

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
Freeheel4life

I figured a smart cookie like you wouldnt be defeated by just a little ice John. 10-12" of ice is no joke.

Fingers crossed that with some longer days, warmer temps, and less UV deflection as we tilt make short work of your ice dam and you are free to go adventure.

Tags
winter