Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

death of the home group?

OK, need some help. I am not great on computer stuff... just enough to get by. In a past life, I was a UNIX and storage admin but Windows stuff not so much. In any case, I have two Lenovo desktops. One is in my home office and the other is in my shop office. AT&T gateway serves as a router and I have a range extender in my home office and an external antenna on the side of the shop (usb connect direct to desk top machine). Both machines are identical and running Win 10 Pro. This latest iteration of Windows dropped the "home group". I have shared all files on both computer and tried all online suggestions for how to get them to see each other and share files. I can't gain access in either direction except for the music library on each of the two computers.

I can "see" the home office workstation from where I am in the office and vise versa. Anyone have tips on how I can share files. I will not put my files in the cloud as I don't really trust the security of my files when they are out there in cyber space. Any help would be appreciated.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Frank G

File Manager (explorer)
Network
Network and sharing center

The above should put you in a place to set up a new network. Haven't done it in a few years.

We had 4 computers networked, Set up a common file (Shared Files) on each computer and only shared that file. That way any of the 4 computers could import and export from any of the others.

We also designated one of the computers as the server and asked that any created or updated artwork be stored on the server and that computer was backed-up at least daily. (carbonite) The back-up saved our business more than once.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
ptooti

You need to put password on each computer even if it’s only like zzz or something simple then right click the folder you want to share and choose share turn on password protected file and printer sharing windows like to share easier with more security then on one computer go to my computer then network the other computer should show up you can right click and connect as or connect with credentials now use the account that is on the machine you are connecting to so if bob on pc1 with password xxx is going to connect to John on pc2 with password zzz then on PC1(Bob)browse the network for the folder on PC2 (John)and connect with the account credentials that is setup on pc2 Username John Pass:zzz using that account that has full access on that machine - clear as mud ? The best way is to actually match accounts and passwords on both machines so change the username/password so both accounts on machines are the same PC1=Bob with password xxx
PC2=Bob with password xxx then get into your sharing

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Check in windows features, SMB 1.0 might have been disabled by Windows to protect yourself from yourself.

Turn it back on. Turn off the auto disable SMB (should be right there in same area).

Reboot. Start file explorer. Browse the network for you previously shared resources.

I'm not at my computer, so all of this is from memory.

I completely agree that Bob should have an account on each computer and use the same password. Just as long as it is a standard user and not an admin.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote