Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
McClure

Hot Water Heater not making Hot Water.

I have a Keystone Laredo 32 ft pull behind and I just finished repairing a leak on the hot water heater. Prior to the removing the tank everything worked now that the leak is fixed there is no hot water. The heater works on both gas and electric but neither one is turning on. I know everything on the tank is back in its correct places because I took pics before removing everything.

I am thinking it might be an element or such but no idea what it looks like my owners manual is playing hide and seek on me. Just thought I would start here with my research. Thanks.
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am assuming you have water flow through the heater? You said you removed it and repaired it...what was wrong, where and what did you do to repair it? It sounds like you may have lost the control board, or more specifically, the power to it. Have you checked the fuse on the board (if you have one) and all your incoming power to it?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

A couple of quick thoughts, which are probably obvious, so I apologize in advance.

Before you tried turning the water heater on with either element the bypass valves have been returned to to working positions and you were getting (cold) water from the hot water faucets? Failure to have water in the tank can cause the elements to burn out almost immediately.

It may take a while to bleed the air out of the gas line. After a few failed attempts there may be a lock out period for your safety. Not sure how long, but there should be a reset button.

Did the breaker for the electric element trip? Sometimes it only trips "half way" and it is not obvious that it is off. Turn it all the way off and back on for good measure.

Beyond that hopefully others will chime in.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
travelin texans

The element is not used if running on gas, but on gas & elec it must have 12 volts to operate the control board. I'd start by confirming 12 volts at the heater & work from there.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater