Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Mosnowman

Bedroom Flat Screen Mounting..Bullet 278RLS

I have researched this topic using the search feature but have not come up with any answers on the proper way to mount a small (19") flat screen in the bedroom of my Bullet 278RLS. This is the Jensen TV that was originally in the living room which I replaced with a larger one. The outlet is on the ceiling but I had several questions on how to do this without messing up my brand new trailer.

1. The cable outlet comes through the ceiling and I assume I should mount the bracket to the interior wall? This wall is also the interior wall to our wardrobe, and I don't know if there are studs there, or whether I need to reinforce the wardrobe wall from the interior side?

2. Is there a certain brand of bracket that you guys have used that work any better than others?

3. Any specific instructions would be appreciated. i will be the first to admit my skills in this area are non-existent, thus my inquiry.

Thanks!
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I have researched this topic using the search feature but have not come up with any answers on the proper way to mount a small (19") flat screen in the bedroom of my Bullet 278RLS. This is the Jensen TV that was originally in the living room which I replaced with a larger one. The outlet is on the ceiling but I had several questions on how to do this without messing up my brand new trailer.

1. The cable outlet comes through the ceiling and I assume I should mount the bracket to the interior wall? This wall is also the interior wall to our wardrobe, and I don't know if there are studs there, or whether I need to reinforce the wardrobe wall from the interior side?

2. Is there a certain brand of bracket that you guys have used that work any better than others?

3. Any specific instructions would be appreciated. i will be the first to admit my skills in this area are non-existent, thus my inquiry.

Thanks!
I have an 2011 Laredo 297RL TT with the same set up. I mounted a 22" set a couple of weeks ago without much difficulty. In my TT the wall has a stick on that said "mount TV here". Using a stud finder was somewhat unsuccessful as I kept getting false readings. Next I thought of using molly bolts that thighten on the inside of the wall, however, these are quite long & my gut feeling was they are to long & will reach the opposite wall before fully securing to the TV wall. I ended up drilling 4 small holes in the wall and inserting plastic screw holders & attaching the bracket using screws & washers. So far so good! The bracket is tight to the wall, TV attached & secure. Regarding the bracket, use the smallest one available for you 19" TV, the flatter the better. Also it should have a lock or some sort of set up that will prevent the TV from bouncing off the wall bracket while in transit. I hope this helps..............joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Mosnowman

More problems...paper thin wall...no studs...

Thanks jq for your reply...here is something that I have found with my wall where the TV should be mounted. It is actually paper thin particle board? The wall ( I use that term loosely) is not a studded wall at all. It is simply the particle board between the bedroom and the wardrobe.

I assume you should never drill into an exterior wall? Catch is that will be the only place there will be wall studs, so i am at a loss at what to do at this point?
I also was wondering but felt it might cause damage to attach a block of wood on the interior side of the wardrobe to drill into. My concern would be the weight of the 19 inch ripping the particle board wall?

Any help would be appreciated guys!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

TV

You could drop a mount from the ceiling, there is real wood up there and, with any luck you could hook into a rafter.

Of course, you will have to investigate first. I suggest that you take an outlet plate off for a look-see. Better yet disassemble the through roof vent for a more complete picture of what is up there.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

It is possible to drill into an exterior wall once you have located the aluminum studs. There have been some members who have done this (Hankpage for one) and having found two studs, attached a plywood base between the two to which he mounted his TV. Of course, the trick is to find the studs. You can get a pretty good idea where the studs are by going out and looking at your RV exterior walls after a frost or a cold/cool morning --- vertical "lines" will appear where studs are located. (I know this isn't of much use now since the weather has warmed up). As mentioned before, stud finders are not always reliable but you could give one a try.
If you are left with mounting on the wall you described, while not "paper thin" it is 1/8 inch luan plywood. You might consider first attaching a large, finished piece of 1/2" plywood to the luan by using good fasteners. The larger you can make this plywood backing, the better - as it will give you a large and more stable footprint to which you can then attach a TV wall mount --- then your TV to the mount.
There are numerous TV wall mounts available and I would go online to research them.
You can also do a search on this forum by using the Search feature. Try typing in TV mounts or something similar. There have been numerous previous posts about your project.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
jerry

tv mount 278 bullet

I put a oak board about 10 inches wide in the wardrobe wall needs to be long enough to go edge to edge in wardrobe as there is studs on each corner
Then I mounted a 19 inch flat screen , we do take it down when on the road just to be safe. Good luck with your 278 we really like ours
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Mosnowman

Thanks guys....

Okay here is what I did today....

I mounted a 1x4 on the interior of the wardrobe wall. I then drilled through the luan wall in the bedroom and through the 1x4. I mounted the the bracket using machine screws, large washers, and nuts to secure everything. It seems real solid and I have the 1x4 about 3 feet long running from the top of the interior wardrobe wall to the bottom of the wardrobe. I think I will take the time to remove the TV while traveling to avoid problems. My first outing is this weekend with the new trailer and I can't wait!

Thanks again from a Newbie......I love this place!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Pajoder

Well, I'll try to look for the studs first and try to hang the mount to the wall just below the outlet. However, will consider the luan mount just in case. The mount I ordered is "VideoSecu Articulating TV Wall Mount Bracket for VESA 100 LCD LED Flat Screen Monitor TV 1E9".

The only issue I have with my 278RLS is the lack of space in the living room once I open the air mattress. But besides that, the trailer pulls great and is very comfortable...mamma likes it, that's what's important!!!! LOL
Pajoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Pajoder

OK guys, what I did was very simple; the mount I bough was thin and small enough to allow me to mount it on the edge between the exterior wall (where the window is) and the closet wall. It allows me to move the TV to the top of the window flat against the wall while travel and to wing it around to face the bed or any angle I desire. The only hard stud found on that wall was on that edge. I did purchased stronger screws. Look at pictures and email if want more pics or details.
Happy Camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TVMount1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	737   Click image for larger version

Name:	TVMount2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	738   Click image for larger version

Name:	TVMount3.jpg