Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Papabear7

New from STL

New member -- can't believe it just occurred to me to look into RV forums, I've used forums for other interests extensively, but just started searching for help to get our heads around where we're heading!! We recently became empty-nesters and started thinking about getting a travel trailer. After two RV shows and three trips to local dealers in the last 4 months, we're aiming at the micro-lite/ultra-lite range in a conventional TT. As a kid, we did a lot of trailer-pulling all over the Ozarks & out west; dad was in charge then, but I learned the 'stage hand' side of it all ... now I guess I get to be boss, financier, and stage-hand. Wrong, I married the boss since then ...

For a tow vehicle I want to stick with my 15-year-old GMC 1/2 ton with a 5.3L V8 & factory tow package, just not ready to move up to something newer and bigger. It's still in great shape, and what isn't I've been refurbishing/bringing up to date, but this leads me to self-impose aims of a 4,500-5,000# dry-weight trailer.

We were very locked-in on a Flagstaff 25DKS, but recently have been lured toward the Keystone Bullet 220RBI. Really like the layout better, the spread-axle seems to make sense. Tough part is deciding to pull the trigger knowing it will sit in storage so much more than we will have a chance to use it.

Looking forward to learning a lot more ... of course, doing is best, so at some point, we'll just jump.

Bear ...
Papabear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of us that have our vacation home sitting idle for what seems an eternity between uses, but it's comforting knowing you can take off at a moments notice.

Lots of good people and tons of great information here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:03 AM   #3
Mike484

We had the same situation, we have a GMC Sieera 1/2 ton, good reliable truck, no need for a new one. And we wanted to get a TT but not one that required us to upgrade our truck (which we will in the future, just didn't want to buy a $30k trailer and be forced into buying a $70,k truck to pull it with). We visited several dealers and told them what we were looking for. For the most part, we were shown trailers that just seemed to be too small for us (there's only two of us, but we wanted more than just a kitchen and bed). There were some dealers though that showed us trailers over the 6k# range which we knew we had to stay under that much weight. Finally we found a dealer that understood and took us straight to the Passports. Ultra light and a lot of room. We ended up purchasing the 2890rl which has a dry weight of 5500#s which is at the very top of our limits, but it is very roomy and will give us time to upgrade our TV.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
mom2budnbug

to the forum

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
14george

to the fourm congrats
Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Papabear7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
We had the same situation, we have a GMC Sieera 1/2 ton, good reliable truck, no need for a new one. And we wanted to get a TT but not one that required us to upgrade our truck (which we will in the future, just didn't want to buy a $30k trailer and be forced into buying a $70,k truck to pull it with). ...... Finally we found a dealer that understood and took us straight to the Passports. Ultra light and a lot of room. We ended up purchasing the 2890rl which has a dry weight of 5500#s which is at the very top of our limits, but it is very roomy and will give us time to upgrade our TV.
Thanks for your post; I sure would feel better with a 2007 & diesel ... mine's a 2000, rust-plague era ... complete brake-line replacement 2 yrs ago, just did rocker-panel repair. My greatest fear is cranking down too hard on a WD hitch, and having the rear frame break off (jk, I hope--frame has surface rust, but it will hold up fine?). Recently replaced front wheel bearings, water pump, F/R diff fluids, t-case fluid. I trust the engine, suspension & brakes, scariest part is the transmission, which so far is fine & clean fluid, but at 175K miles, I know I'm about to stress it. I anticipate we will cross a pass in the Rockies once in a blue moon, I will be finding flatter routes out west for most trips, and a lot of our trips will probably be shorter into the Ozarks & Smokies. 3-5 years to retirement, I will re-evaluate TV, but agree, not ready for a $30-40K upgrade (for a used truck) right now on top of a $20-25K TT.

We have not yet looked at the Passports, so I am going to check those out. We too like the idea of a sofa space in addition to a dining space, but I really just want to stay well under-size in the <25' range and less that 5K# in dry weight. Thanks again ...
Papabear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
UsTwo

Hey welcome from St Chuck.. good luck in your search..I really like the Bullet series of TT.. they have quite a bit of room,,Looked at a some of those at the ST Lou. RV show last weekend...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear7 View Post
Thanks for your post; I sure would feel better with a 2007 & diesel ... mine's a 2000, rust-plague era ... complete brake-line replacement 2 yrs ago, just did rocker-panel repair. My greatest fear is cranking down too hard on a WD hitch, and having the rear frame break off (jk, I hope--frame has surface rust, but it will hold up fine?). Recently replaced front wheel bearings, water pump, F/R diff fluids, t-case fluid. I trust the engine, suspension & brakes, scariest part is the transmission, which so far is fine & clean fluid, but at 175K miles, I know I'm about to stress it. I anticipate we will cross a pass in the Rockies once in a blue moon, I will be finding flatter routes out west for most trips, and a lot of our trips will probably be shorter into the Ozarks & Smokies. 3-5 years to retirement, I will re-evaluate TV, but agree, not ready for a $30-40K upgrade (for a used truck) right now on top of a $20-25K TT.

We have not yet looked at the Passports, so I am going to check those out. We too like the idea of a sofa space in addition to a dining space, but I really just want to stay well under-size in the <25' range and less that 5K# in dry weight. Thanks again ...
We had a passport 238ML before and now have a 2810BH. Tow both with my Silverado 1500. Lots of floor plans to choose from. Have fun looking and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote