Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
albertr

Water heater on/off switch

The electrical on/off switch for the hot water tank on the Avalanche is on the outside and accessed by removing the access door to the heater. I would like to relocate it to a more convenient location inside. Is there a particular reason that it is located on the outside? Thanks....Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

One possible reason that I can think of is that it is most likely a cost-saving measure rather than having to extend the wiring to a much more sensible and convenient location - like inside the RV. If yours is like ours, the exterior switch also has a small cotter pin provision to prevent the accidental turning on of the electricity when the tank is drained. This might be another reason. ?????
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Handysam

Al, I don't think there is any particular reason it's on the outside, other than it's easier when the water heater was manufactured to place it on the outside of the unit itself. Those units are made in assembly line fashion for just about all RV's, so the camper builders are just buying the units and installing them already to go, so they just have to hook up the gas and electric and go. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If you are going to add a switch inside your trailer for the water heater be sure to leave the tank-mounted switch in the circuit. It probably does not apply to RVs but national electrical code requires a disconnect at the heater or a locking circuit breaker. The switch on the heater with the hitch-pin meets both requirements. If you accidentally turn the heater on without water the element will burn out immediately. Once the heater is filled, turn on the tank mounted switch on and then use the circuit breaker inside to turn the electric element on and off. The heater will work on LPG regardless of breaker or switch position.
Short answer: The tank mounted switch is a safety feature.
JM$.02, HaNK
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
mhs4771

Not all units are created equal. I have the outside safety switch on the heater, but I also have a switch mounted inside to control the electric element and propane. Once I know the HW tank in full, I remove the pin and turn-on the outside switch. From that point on I control the electric element and/or propane from inside the unit.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Handysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Not all units are created equal. I have the outside safety switch on the heater, but I also have a switch mounted inside to control the electric element and propane. Once I know the HW tank in full, I remove the pin and turn-on the outside switch. From that point on I control the electric element and/or propane from inside the unit.
We also have the switch inside, however that switch is for the gas ONLY. The outside switch is for electric. When I want gas I turn the inside switch on, when I want electric I turn on the switch on the heater outside.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Jim W

I used the circuit breaker in the electrical panel to turn on and off the water heater. To me this was easier that adding another switch. When we set up or break camp, the DW opens the panel cover and turns on/off the water heater circuit breaker. This is on our check list to insure that it is done every time we set up/break camp. The panel is located in the hall way by the bedroom door and is very accessible.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
eds451

electric switch

I added a lighted switch wired in series to the switch in the tank. I kept forgetting to turn off the switch at the tank. I mounted it right inside the door so I can see the light and know if it is on or not.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote