Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 AM   #1
Javi

Exterior Speakers

We only camp in COE or Texas State Parks for the time being, and it seems that on nearly every trip there is "THAT GUY" that will crank up his stereo at 7am and not turn it off until well after 10 pm ...

I understand and I appreciate music, heck my DW loves music and played in a band before we met. But I don't expect others to listen to my choice of music.

The last trip, we had a little rain so we decided to stay in and watch the movie American Sniper on DVD. We had to keep changing the volume because of the constant BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, vibrating the wall of our trailer.. Inside we couldn't really hear the music, just the BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, from the trailer parked 35 feet away..

Every time we buy a new trailer one of the first mods I make to it is to unplug the exterior speakers... I wish everyone that camps in public campgrounds would too..
Old 07-02-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
jsmith948

Absolutely agree!!! Thanks to my stint on carrier flight decks, my hearing is not at all what it should be. I like music as well (what frequencies I can hear at least), but I just don't get the sub woofer BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. Add to that the filthy lyrics of the 'Gangsta Rap' that a lot of the kids listen to and.....well, I agree with you and wish they would just keep their music to themselves.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I agree Javi! The only time my exterior speakers were ever turned on was when I checked them out right after buying the trailer. There are just some folks that don't understand that what "they want to do" does not trump what I want to do unless it is in their "space" completely. Booming music over the airwaves invade MY airspace.

On the other hand "a great experience". Camped at Blanco State Park in TX. An old Silverstreak? pulled into the next space from us. They unloaded, fed the pups and cooked supper. I watched the fellow pull out a guitar and a small amplifier and thought "here it comes". I just sat and watched as he sat down on the picnic table and fiddled with the guitar and amp. I could barely hear anything. He started playing and it sounded really nice so I kind of moved over by my truck so I could hear better (I love music also and played in a band). He played very softly and I liked everything he played.

After a while he noticed me and put down the guitar and came to see me. He asked if he was bothering me (he was doing everything to be polite and quiet) and I told him no; in fact I would like it if he played a little louder so we could hear it and enjoy it. We introduced ourselves and come to find out he was my little brother's (16 years younger) best friend in high school!! You could have knocked me over with a feather! Anyway, there are a lot of goof balls out there but there can be some good experiences as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
jtyphoid

I view exterior speakers as just another possible way for water to get into the walls. I would rather not have them.

When others are gracing us with their choice of music, I sometimes wish that I had brought my tuba along for the trip. I do need the additional practice...
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Nitka

We tried soooo hard to find one without them, but no go! We understand liking a little background too, but really, do you need to play your movie sound outside as well? We were checking out a campground last weekend and they were watching a movie inside and the volume was loud enough outside to hear it from the road as we walked by.

Never thought of just unplugging 'em. Have to check with DH, but he's smarter than me (I'll never admit to typing this LOL) when it comes to these things, so he probably has already done this
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
Tbos

What has happened to common courtesy? Had a similar issue with someone and their outside TV this past week. The movie he was watching was loaded with cursing and he had it up very loud. He then had the nerve to complain about his son/grandson bouncing his basketball. He said no wanted to hear that. I had to laugh. I would rather hear kids playing any day!
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
LuvsPalmTrees

I actually like the outside speakers but we are very respectful. We actually walk our campsite with music on to make sure that you cannot hear it past our camper. I also have noticed that with the awning out keeps the music down and going forward. I do understand what you all are talking about, it has happened to us too. We love to listen to the ball game while sitting outside.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
hdrolling

I use mine every time the grill starts up, but their only like a 6 1/2 speaker with no bass. The inside sub-woofer and sound bar are not connected to the outside speakers on my unit.

I only play it loud enough for me to hear and I've asked my neighbors and they said they can't hear it from their sites.

I don't see how trying to buy a camper without outside speakers will stop an annoying neighbor camper from misusing theirs?

Whats the harm to politely go over and ask the other campers to please turn it down? I understand you shouldn't have to but to me it's no different than another camper with loud kids playing outside or having a vehicle with a loud exhaust that constantly has to start up and drive to the trash point!

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post

I don't see how trying to buy a camper without outside speakers will stop an annoying neighbor camper from misusing theirs? It won't, nor will my disconnecting my outside speakers when I buy a new trailer. But what it will do is prevent an accidental discharge.. If there are no speakers or they are disconnected and the leads taped then you don't have to worry about inadvertently turning them on.

Whats the harm to politely go over and ask the other campers to please turn it down? I understand you shouldn't have to but to me it's no different than another camper with loud kids playing outside or having a vehicle with a loud exhaust that constantly has to start up and drive to the trash point!

In times gone by... nothing.

But as I recently discovered you no longer have the right to be offended, or bothered by other people's actions.. As explained to me by a very nice LEO after a woman who was loudly fighting (verbally) with her grown daughter, expletives flying back and forth freely. All of this in a crowed diner with small children and families present.

After a couple of minutes I went over and asked the owner if he could do something.. He shrugged his shoulders and told me to handle it yourself if it bothers you so much. So I asked her to tone it down or leave... Her response was a resounding KMA, but they did leave... only to call the cops on me from the parking lot..

According to the Leo, once the owner refused to do anything, my options were to sit there and finish my meal, or get up and leave... period.. I do not have the right to tell anyone else to hold it down..
Just my experience..
Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post

Whats the harm to politely go over and ask the other campers to please turn it down? !
Actually, I am concerned about the potential for harm if I were to go over and politely ask if the music could be turned down. In today's world where loud and obnoxious behavior is becoming more commonplace, I would wonder how such a request would be received. Are these folks reasonable and rational or are they the type that would say, "What's it to ya, buddy?" Or, like in Javi's example, "KMA!" Or, in an extreme case, knock me down and put the boots to me? You just never know how some people will react.

So what does one do? Suck it up and ignore it? Leave the campground or restaurant? The response by the restaurant manager tells me that loud and profane language in his establishment is quite acceptable so deal with it and if you don't like it - leave. The response by the LEO is equally puzzling. Apparently, our "rights" to civility and being treated with respect are quickly disappearing. I am glad to see that we are becoming more accepting and tolerant of others but really ...... how tolerant does one have to be?

Obviously, I am out of touch with the way things are and need a reality check. Old folks like myself, don't adapt easily to change. We like the way some things were and are saddened by much of what we see and hear today. Yes, I know --- suck it up and deal with it.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, this world has changed dramatically and the goofballs are exponentially increasing. In Javi's case I would think that the owner telling him to do something about it would have been authorization for him to do what he did. On the other hand, it's hard to trump a LEO and what he tells you outside the judicial system and who wants that.

Asking someone to "turn down the music" or anything else anymore does make one worry about what their reaction would be. I've had both knees replaced and one of them is broken along with other "structural" problems and my wife has a pin in her leg. If the goofball decided he wanted to push us around or "put boots to us" we can't run away so I carry either a 45 or 40 S&W on my belt and a 38 (at times) inside the top of my boot. They might put the boots to me, or use the weapon on me, but that's the reason I go thru well over 1000 rounds per month.....to stay proficient. Lord knows I never want anything to happen, but if it did I don't want my only recourse to be getting on my knees and begging for my, or my wife's, life; or watching helplessly as something terrible happens to her. Guess that's why I just try to keep my nose to myself most times - I don't want that situation to arise at my own doing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
mcsearch1

My hearing took a beating during my 10 years turning wrenches on USAF aircraft. That's where I learned how irritating noise can be. When I set up, I always walk the perimeter of my site to ensure the music can't be heard outside of my camp site.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
notanlines

We don't see a lot of what y'all describe in that some of our camping comes with our 16 foot motorcycle trailer/camper and some in the 5th wheel, mostly in Florida for the winter. During that time we are surrounded by "old fogies most of the time complaining about kids in the pool on week-ends. A little patience can go a long way from both sides, but I don't want to listen to your movie, and I don't want you to have to listen to my NASCAR race. And like most of you, I don't take kindly to change. Why is it so hot in here, and just what is a "hand basket?"
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote