Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #41
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOil View Post
I too was gonna stay out of this, have plenty of experience with all 3 makers, but... McDonald's sells a heck of lot of burgers... does that mean they make the best burgers?
No, Wendy's does...

Why stay out of it? If you have plenty of experience with all three you are exactly the person we need in this. Maybe the thread title scares some away, but let's be honest, the big three look at it as a war. My hope with this thread was to get people's real thoughts and opinions. This thread is designed to be a place where a perspective buyer can read through others true opinions. Each can make their own choice on what they want in a truck based on personal likes and needs, but at least can benefit on others opinions.

I'm a GM guy and love the Dmax, also have a lot of respect for a Cummins, I'm not a fan of Dodge and have never been a Ford guy. So far we have heard good and bad for all three.

My summary so far:
The main complaint with Dodge seems to be front ends and interior, but haven't heard anything bad on the Cummins or the manual trans.

Fords main complaint seems to be the engines and stiff ride (reading between the lines, I don't think you should have to sped big $$$$ to make them bulletproof, mainly 6.0. The 7.3 seems to be just the opposite, but that leads to a which engine concern when shopping). Most agree it is a good looking truck with a well backed company (not affected by the financial crash like Government Motors).

Surprisingly enough, GM took a hit on the seats (which most find superior to the others), brake lines, and price. I know there is at least one member on here who has had turbo trouble. It seems most agree it is the best riding/handling truck of the three (which some have also complained about that it doesn't feel like a "truck"). Not surprising, the Allison seems to be the best tranny of the three if you want an automatic.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #42
therink

This weekend, I test drove a F350 SRW Lariat Powerstroke and GMC 3500HD SLT Duramax. In my opinion, the GMC was hands down the most comfortable and better handling.
It seems the Powerstroke had better acceleration.
Both are amazing trucks, but GM is my choice.
I. Am putting together a 3500 SRW Duramax build together now (Still hung up on Chevrolet LTZ or GMC SLT).

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #43
SAABDOCTOR

GOOD TRUCK... 1 DOES IT START? DOES IT PULL WELL? DOES IT STOP WELL? FUEL MILAGE OK FOR WHAT YOUR ASKIN? DOES IT COMPLAIN LESS THAN YOUR OTHER HALF( BOTH WAYS I KNOW WOMEN TRUCK DRIVERS) DOESN'T COST YOU A FORUNE TO FIX? DO YOU LIKE IT? 2 ANSWERS 1 YES.. GOOD TRUCK 2 NO BAD TRUCK BUY A DIFFERENT ONE! NUFF TALK CAMP! EVERYONE OWNS THE BEST TRUCK IN THEIR MIND WHY DO WE NEED THIS AGAIN? UNLEES YOU WANT TO START A WAR! OH WAIT YOU DID.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #44
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Am putting together a 3500 SRW Duramax build together now (Still hung up on Chevrolet LTZ or GMC SLT).
Well, they are basically the same truck below the skin. The biggest difference is appearance items. When I bought my 2500 I wanted the GMC because I liked the rounded fenders better than the square ones. Couldn't work as good of a deal on the GMC so I bought Chevy....the square fenders grew on me and I like the looks better than the GMC now. Of course the new body style has fewer differences.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #45
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
GOOD TRUCK... 1 DOES IT START? DOES IT PULL WELL? DOES IT STOP WELL? FUEL MILAGE OK FOR WHAT YOUR ASKIN? DOES IT COMPLAIN LESS THAN YOUR OTHER HALF( BOTH WAYS I KNOW WOMEN TRUCK DRIVERS) DOESN'T COST YOU A FORUNE TO FIX? DO YOU LIKE IT? 2 ANSWERS 1 YES.. GOOD TRUCK 2 NO BAD TRUCK BUY A DIFFERENT ONE! NUFF TALK CAMP! EVERYONE OWNS THE BEST TRUCK IN THEIR MIND WHY DO WE NEED THIS AGAIN? UNLEES YOU WANT TO START A WAR! OH WAIT YOU DID.
Well the purpose of the thread, as I listed in the initial post is for people to list what they like/dislike about the trucks. My first rundown listed my pros and cons to each from my point of view.

I think we have all run into a problem with a vehicle after the fact that we wish we had thought of or known to look for before hand. If I could answer all of the questions above and know all of the things I may like or dislike about a particular truck before I drop $60k on one, I would be very happy. But little things always seem to come up after the fact. For example, Javi could not get comfortable in the Silverado seat due to his back, but has no problem in a Dodge.....who would have thought? Kristi gets motion sickness in a Ford, but no issues in a Silverado, strange. In Javi's case, he traded the truck off after only 3 days, most could not afford the bath they would most likely take. The 2011 Silverado has NoX sensor issues, but newer years don't seem to. The first gen Dmax had injector problems, but haven't had any problems for years.....yet I have a friend who still thinks I'm going to be replacing them on my 2011.

Yes I called the thread truck wars, because the big 3 call it a war...in reality, it's a chance for all of us to give honest feedback about what we do and don't like. Stuff for someone to consider when in the market, stuff that just maybe they would not have thought about or even noticed until after the fact, when it's too late. There isn't any post on here that is right or wrong, no opinion about one truck or the other more important or more correct than another...it's just different opinions. Yes I gave GaryWT a hard time about the "Ford sells as many trucks than Chevy and Dodge combined", but that was just pointing out some different data that contradicted the sales figures.

Is this thread really that upsetting for some? Okay, I'll admit it....I don't read every thread on the forum. There are some that just don't interest me so I don't open them. I use this same concept with my television, there are some shows I don't like, so I change the channel when they come on

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #46
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Well, they are basically the same truck below the skin. The biggest difference is appearance items. When I bought my 2500 I wanted the GMC because I liked the rounded fenders better than the square ones. Couldn't work as good of a deal on the GMC so I bought Chevy....the square fenders grew on me and I like the looks better than the GMC now. Of course the new body style has fewer differences.
Step dad worked in a GM/Chevy dealership years ago. Got a new truck from the factory - GM emblems on one side, Chevrolet on the other !

Hey, I've got an F150 EcoBoost. Can I get in on this war?? It's got turbos.......
Old 10-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #47
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Step dad worked in a GM/Chevy dealership years ago. Got a new truck from the factory - GM emblems on one side, Chevrolet on the other !

Hey, I've got an F150 EcoBoost. Can I get in on this war?? It's got turbos.......
Saw a GMC show up at a dealership several years back (80s) with all Silverado trim inside....

I was considering starting a Gas truck war thread as well, but to be honest, I don't know much about the gassers in Dodge or Ford and haven't owned a GM gasser newer than 04. I know there are some with similar questions/thoughts/ feelings on that side of the house as well. Sorry, your little EcoBoost doesn't stand up in this war Just kidding!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #48
BulletOwner1

Barney, Festus2,

May I politely, with no animosity, suggest that if you don't want to read this thread that you don't click on it. If enough people do that it will die a natural death. Otherwise so far it has been entertaining, somewhat informative, and all around pleasant reading. And so far, I don't think anyone has been rude or obnoxious about it.

And all this from a gasser . If I'm out of line let me know.

Respectfully,
Richard
Old 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is a family forum and some thoughts aren't appropriate for publication. So, in keeping with that consideration, as long as someone doesn't get offended by the "open discussion" the thread can remain (probably in a different location as it's more "opinion" than towing related). To all responders, if you go too far toward the "bad side" one of the moderators will have to reign in the thread and probably close/delete it, so remember that posters have feelings and they can get pretty heated at times. Responsible conversation is OK, not yelling and finger pointing !!!
Rather than "re-invent the wheel" Just read the bolded portion please.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #50
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post

Yep, opinions vary. I guess the new thing now is to go into every thread that I think is useless and serves no purpose and say that in a post regardless of what those following it think about it. Of course, if I did that, it would only be for the BENEFIT OF ALL OF OUR MEMBERS who for some reason did not understand just how worthless the thread was. I wonder, would that make me a super moderator or a Swedish car mechanic?
bsmith0404 -
In the interests of keeping this thread civil and respectful, I have deleted my previous posts about the topic. It is unfortunate that you have misinterpreted my comments and implied that I found the topic and the posts in the thread to be "useless" and "worthless" and that I have been abusing my position as Moderator. I do find, however, your "rolleyes" aka sarcastic remark, directed at SAABDOCTOR, one of our members, to be both inappropriate and disrespectful.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #51
hankpage
Site Team

"Yep, opinions vary. I guess the new thing now is to go into every thread that I think is useless and serves no purpose and say that in a post regardless of what those following it think about it. Of course, if I did that, it would only be for the BENEFIT OF ALL OF OUR MEMBERS who for some reason did not understand just how worthless the thread was. I wonder, would that make me a super moderator or a Swedish car mechanic? "

bsmith0404, I am not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic or threatening and belittling other members for THEIR opinions about a thread that YOU started.
The other moderators and myself (I feel) have given this thread a little more latitude than most, BUT comments such as this can not continue.
This is not my 2¢, This is a warning, Hank
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #52
dm1401

I come from from a Ford family, and we had a Chevy pickup also. The first Ford I owned was a Ranger and was in the shop more than on the road (Bought new) so that sucked. I went Toyota next and I still have a soft spot for them. But I needed a full size truck with that had good or at least decent mileage and I found a 1992 cummins 4x4 long bed which is a must. It was super clean and rust free with low mileage. I loved that truck but the single cab with the family was a pain. Then when it came to upgrade I found a 2008 Chev duramax crew with a 8ft box and 4x4, and also found a 2008 ram 3500 with the same set up. The Chevy had lower mileage and both were the same price. The duramax had a bad engine noise which scared me, found the ride way too soft, and didn't like the lack of low end power compared to the ram. By that I mean it wouldn't pull a 6% hill at 1500rpm without down shifting where the ram would pull it easy. That Allison is a amazing well tuned transmission and it deserves it's good reputation. The mid-range power (1800+ rpm) was impressive but it seemed sluggish below that. What sold me on the ram was the engine break and the looks of the exterior and interior, and the low end power. It was a hard decision that i so far have not regretted. Ford was out for me because I couldn't find a decent 7.3 long box, was too afraid of the 6.0 after seeing a few friends with them and the problems they had, and the 6.7 power-stroke was too new for me to try (Time line was about 2010). The 68rfe in the ram seems pretty robust it isn't as refined as the Allison. So far it's been problem free (182,500Kms). Ram has come a long way in the last while in my opinion.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #53
Tbristol

I build the chevy/GMC so I guess you know my answer. I will only be building them until Friday the 31st of October. Then I will be Full timing in my 2009 Chevy 2500 HD duramax. :-D
Old 10-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #54
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbristol View Post
I build the chevy/GMC so I guess you know my answer. I will only be building them until Friday the 31st of October. Then I will be Full timing in my 2009 Chevy 2500 HD duramax. :-D
Congrats on the retirement! You beat me to it, I still have 15 days of work left. Of course, I can't go full timing until my kids are grown. 6 more years until the youngest leaves the nest, at least that's when I think she'll leave.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #55
SAABDOCTOR

HANK STAY A SUPER MODERATOR! YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A SWEDISH CAR MECHANIC. HOWEVER SAAB SCANIA MAKES ONE HECK OF A TRUCK! The smallest engine is 12 liters! tad bit of overkill the ride is real nice but expen$$ive!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #56
jsmith948

It seems to me, the only way to end this is to agree with the OP. So, you win! Gm trucks with the Japanese motors are the best. At least the in_
-repaid bail out money won't go to waist.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Before anyone starts recruiting snipers or taking prisoners, this thread is closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread