Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
gahanunda

Right size wd/sway system

Am looking at an Equalizer wd/sway system. TT is Passport 195RB. Listed weight 3860 TW 330. Even if these are in the ball park numbers (havent been able to actually weigh) I was looking at the Equalizer 600/6000 lb system. If I figure 1200 lbs cargo weight in trailer giving total wight in 5000 lb area is the 600/6000 sufficient. If it isnt is the 1000/10000 to stiff.
gahanunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Paddler

Hi gahanunda,

I would suggest buying the 1000/10000 setup. I used it on my first trailer, about 4600 lbs and then when we upgraded to the 30 ft Lynx, 7800 lbs we didn't have to upgrade the hitch.

Stiffness isn't an issue, the difference is strickly the weight capacity of the system.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
chuck&gail

I disagree completely with previous post. Buy semi truck tires for a sports car, LOL?

Bars act as springs. If you want a rough ride, get springs that are way too heavy for the application. True on cars, trucks, trailers, AND weight distribution hitches.

IMHO you want the lightest bars that EXCEED 13% of the TT GVWR. Some say 15%.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
jq1031

Again it comes down to weight...Overkill is as bad as underkill......so go to a qualified hitch installer (or maybe two), get their expertise on the situation & make your decision on what you here. This forum is about peoples opinions not set in stone advise.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Paddler

I stand by my answer. Perhaps in other hitch systems the "spring bars" do act as springs as well as weight distribution devices but not on the Equal-i-zer brand system. On the 600lb rated hitch the "spring bars" are 1 1/4" square solid steel bars, on the 1000lb rated hitch the "spring bars" are 1 3/8" square solid steel bars. There isn't any spring in either of these bars.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Perhaps I am wrong. Please advise what DOES bend when TV and TT go thru a dip and so make a V shape. I think it is the WDH bars, but if not, what does? If nothing bends, but was solidly connected, rear TV wheels would leave the ground.

Just my opinion.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Paddler

The trailer coupler rides up and down on the ball. The ball is the pivot point.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
gahanunda

Thanks for the info. My thinking was like chuck&gails and jq101. So I called Equalizer manufacturer and their tech support told me that with my TT I shoul go with 1000/10000 because my tongue weight could approach 600lbs. They even reccomend that system for TW down to 350 lbs. Didnt think to ask them why they make the lower rated systems if they reccomend 1000/10000 for 350 TW
gahanunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahanunda View Post
Am looking at an Equalizer wd/sway system. TT is Passport 195RB. Listed weight 3860 TW 330. Even if these are in the ball park numbers (havent been able to actually weigh) I was looking at the Equalizer 600/6000 lb system. If I figure 1200 lbs cargo weight in trailer giving total wight in 5000 lb area is the 600/6000 sufficient. If it isnt is the 1000/10000 to stiff.
to your "listed" TW add the weight of propane (two tanks=60lbs) and weight of battery(s) (75-150lbs) to come up with "actual" empty tongue weight. two 30lb propane tank and dual batteries would put your empty tongue weight near 330+60+150=540lbs. add in your cargo weight shift to the tongue and you'll likley find the 600lb bars are probably marginal, or to small. I'd go with 800 or 1000 lb bars. From experience, it is much easier to get the hitch dialed in with bars slightly above needed capacity vs. below. And the ride really won't be noticeably different.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
KanTC

Gahanunda,

The GVWR on your trailer is just under 6000 lbs, and although (chances are) you'll probably never use the entire alloted cargo capacity, the MAX tongue weight for the 6000 lb Equalizer, is 600 lbs. I'd also be hesitant to suggest the 600/6000 lb bars for your trailer, due to your potential tongue weight.

That said, the Equalizer site (tech page) no longer shows a 800/8000 lb bar option [I also thought they had one previously??]... so I'll assume that's why they suggested the 1000/10000 bars/hitch.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...tech_specs.php

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Paddler

Chuck&Gail,
My answer to your question last night was a bit to brief to be educational so I’ll give it another shot. Nothing bends when the truck/trailer goes over a bump or dip in the road. You have to understand how the bars are attached to the hitch head and to the trailer frame to fully comprehend the concept.

The bars are attached to the hitch head with a pin and cotter key in a swing arm that allows for horizontal movement (giving you the ability to turn). The bars are then mounted onto a pair of L brackets attached to each side of the trailer frame.

These L brackets allow the bars to move forward or rearward independently of each other. It is the freedom of movement that allows the hitch head to rise or fall with the contours of the road surface.

If the rear of the bars had been secured against the trailer frame then you would be correct. When the truck/trailer encountered a dip in the road the truck rear wheels could possibly be lifted off the ground.

I hope this weak explanation helps you understand how the Equal-i-zer moves.
Best wishes,
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
chuck&gail

Steve,

I appreciate the reply. Probably not worth the discussion, but I still think bars must bend. Ball is hard mounted on stinger. Stinger has pivots for bars mounted below ball. Bar pivots can't move up and down seperately from stinger, only horizontally. Thus the vehicle end of the bars ALWAYS must stay in line with stinger, which hopefully always stays in line with tow vehicle frame.

Now coupler on ball CAN move both horizontally and vertically, no argument.

Equal-i-zer bars rest on L bracket on TT frame. Thus the bar end can not move up and down unless TT frame does.

Ok, so we hook up and drive into a dip. Stinger follows TV frame, and points down. End of bars in stinger now point down also. But TT frame has NOT moved down, in fact is pointed UP to the TT rear, and TT end of bars still held high parallel to TT frame.

If TV end of bars points down, but TT end is level or even pointing UP, bar had better bend, or something will need to break.

Again, my musing.
2010 Ford Expedition TV