Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
SkyPiGG

Hot water heater running with no water

Took the new trailer out for it's shakedown cruise and turned on the electric ignition hot water heater, and it didn't produce any hot water after an hour. So, I tried the gas, and it lighted, but made a really loud popping sound and shut down.

It then occured to me that the dealer had never flipped the bypass valve. So I located it behind the water heater and turned it horizontal and heard water rush in. However, I had to pack up because it was past check out time so I didn't get a chance to test it.

Do these things have auto shutoffs when the tank is empty? What was that loud pop? The campground host thought it was from extra gas igniting when it shut off. I couldn't find any apparent damage.

Any thoughts from you experts?? it's an Atwood Electric ignition heater.

Thanks!
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
therink

My guess is that your 115v electric heater element is toast if you turned it on with no water in the tank. The gas portion should be ok. The only shut offs are the thermostats themselves.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Laredo60

I don't know what the pop was. But you probably will have to replace the heating element. You must always have water in there whenever it is turned on. They are not to expensive though. Just screw in and out. Hopefully that's all it was.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
GaryWT

I always pull the pressure relief if I think there might not be water in the tank. Usually when first getting it ready and again on the first trip. If water comes out you are set. As others said you might be shopping for the electric element.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Ron

Hopefully the pop was only the cold water rushing into a hot tank and contracting and not cracking due to sudden cold entering the tank...as mentioned, im sure your electric element is toast also....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Steve S

I agree with others that your element is toast, take some time and read any instructions that came with your trailer.
I have 3 taps in different locations that I have to turn on before I can start heating water and I read the instructions that the dealer gave to me before I used the hydro or lp to heat the tank.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
SkyPiGG

If I'm picking up a brand new trailer in JUNE, I would expect that the water heater be dewinterized!! Especially since they signed off on the checklist that they tested every appliance in the trailer.

I don't feel even a little bit at fault here.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Clicker

You are 100% right this should be no cost to you even if the element went out. It is the responsibility of the dealer to do a PDI and make sure all is working. My dealer did the exact same thing to me when we picked up our new TT. Maiden trip...no hot water. After checking the valve I turned it and water started flowing into the tank. Not hard to see that the dealer never checked the hot water tank. I reported this to the dealer and they said they would back it 100%. As it turned out the circuit breaker popped so the element never fried. After filling the tank it worked fine on electric and LP.
Clicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
rrohrer

I also use the pressure relief valve at every campsitre before turning the electric hot water on. You will need to replace the electric heat element or just run it on gas. I also keep my electric hot water heater turned off at breaker and the switch so I don't have it turned on by accident before I verify I have water in heater. Your not the first person nor the last to do this. I did it to with my first camper. It's easy to forget.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

I sort of agree with you! remember you missed it to on your pdi before you took the unit. you did do a pdi?. Also just so this doesn't happen again. make yourself a check list. I use one that i made. broken down into sections unhook and external set up 2 internal set up. 3 internal departure. 4 external departure and hook up. I am not putting you down. as a pilot I am solely responsable for the out come of the flight. take no ones word that it was done always check! hope the dealer takes care of theproblem without any issues good luck and enjoy the camper when you can take a hot shower
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
therink

I recently did a PDI for a friend of mine on a brand new trailer. When I got there to do the pdi the dealer tech told me that he already checked all systems not once but twice. LOL
When I hooked up the water I noticed that the water heater was still in bypass mode and drain plug remove. As soon as I turned on the water pump, water came gushing out of the sink cabinet in the bathroom. This was due to a cracked (likely freeze damaged) fitting.
My experience says that if the dealer says they did a PDI, they most likely didn't. This is unfortunate, but I have experienced this more than one time.
Buyer beware, do your own PDI.
I hope you get your water heater issue resolved with as little hassle as possible.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote