Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
ROLIN JOSEPH

Hilarious

Back in 2007 we purchased our first RV. It was a Jayco 20BH with a rather small storage compartment in the rear of the unit. The ‘low point’ drains were located in this compartment. At that time I was still a greenhorn to the RV world and tried very hard to learn as much as I could about this new hobby. My first attempt at winterizing turned into nightmare! I could not reach the gate valves that flushed out the water from the low point drains just by reaching into this storage compartment. “Jayco people must have longer arms”.
Surely, I thought, Jayco does not expect me to crawl in there to open these two valves! I would most certainly get stuck in there as my ribcage went over the compartment ledge. How else could I reach these (now stupid), valves? And “Why on earth” would they put them there, out of everyone’s reach?
I had to persevere. It’s the only way to learn, I thought. I squeezed myself in a bit further and was now only inches away from the (stupid) valves. Then, it happened! My ribcage went over the ledge of the compartment and my ribs became the ‘barb’ in the trap. I could move further in, but not back out. I could not turn around. I was stuck. Really ,really, stuck!
Now what?
Just a few weeks earlier I had a couple of stents put in my heart and my cardiologist had told me to be aware of keeping my heart rate on an even keel. Yeah right. I was already in ‘panic mode’. I had visions of the fire department using a reciprocating saw to cut me out of this mess. Our new trailer ruined! The laughing stock of the entire neighborhood! I was turning purple. ”I hate Jayco people with their long arms!”
I had to wiggle out somehow but I was really ever so stuck. I could not ‘suck-it-in’ any more! My ribcage was now mangling the aluminum trim around the compartment door opening! It was very painful, but I just had to get out!
After what seemed like an eternity, and knowing very well that I was going to do some serious damage to my body, I gave it all I had, and with one final effort and DW yanking on my feet. I fell to the ground all bruised black and blue. I think I fainted for a while from the pain. I was finally out!

“So what is so damn ‘hilarious’ about that?” you might ask.

Well, the hilarious part came a few minutes later, when I realized that I had been stuck in a compartment right under the bunk bed…….that lifted up ……..with a couple of gas struts!
I could have just gone in a little bit further, stood up, and walked out the front door!

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
therink

Good one. Sounds like something I would do.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
f6bits

Glad to hear you were able to keep your cool. And now you have a cool story to tell your forum friends. Thanks!

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
crash

Or just walked in the front door pulled up the bed and got to the valves that wayJust my 2 cents Just kidding,Great story too
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote