Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Maxzd

Inverter, Solar, Generator or All the Above?

Curious how many of you out there dry camp vs blacktop camping. We do a ton of dry camping or boondocking.. Like the electronics and hate being the power police with the family..

For years in our truck campers we just stuck to the standard 12 volt battery and there wasn't much to worry about other than lights, furnace fan and a few odds and ends.. Simple was all there was..

When we upgraded to our Travel Trailer in 2008, it was great when plugged into shore power, but same standard 12 volt battery. We used small plug-in inverters for the first season to run various electrical equipment like a TV. Had my trusty little Honda 2000, quiet and ran the 13,500BTU A/C, Microwave, TV and whatever else we had no problems. I did upgrade batteries and inverters before we sold it but nothing was hardwired very temporary in nature..

Now with our new unit, I was ready to put the dollars into it so we maximized our dry camping.. Two 123 Watt Solar Panels and MPPT Solar Charger. Helps maximize the amp output of the panel, and usually 20-30% improved charging. I have 4 heavy duty batteries totalling 400 amp hours. I have a 1500 Watt Inverter. Everything is wired up through an automatic transfer switch which senses shore power, or if the remote switch is pushed on the inverter then inverter "battery" power which feeds everything 110V.

Basically if we are dry camping on a sunny day, the solar panels will put a days worth of power back into the battery bank. As long as we're being smart but not obsessing about power consumption we're self-sufficient. I still carry a 2000 watt Honda generator for backup, but it's not big enough for the 15,000BTU A/C on this Unit. Will have to see if that becomes a problem when dry camping in hot summer weather..

So very curious what other folks are doing.. Have you gone to this length, kept it simple or just blacktop camp so there is always shore power.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
THedges

We only dry camp. I use two 6V golf cart batteries which I always have plugged into a battery maintainer/conditioner. The batteries alone are fine for a weekend trip without conserving power.

I built a locking box on the back of my TT for my 2000w Honda generator.

We don't camp anywhere hot enough to need the AC, so the 2000w is plenty for us.

We usually go out for 2 days at a time, but will go out for a week every summer.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

By your description, it seems as though you will get by quite nicely with the setup you have - except the A/C concern. If you spend a lot of time dry camping/boon docking, unless you have a generator which is capable of running your A/C, then you pretty much have to find other means to keep cool. If you absolutely need A/C when you are out dry camping and it is hot, then you need a generator which is capable of running your A/C. If you can utilize some other method of staying comfortable, then that is good.
It seems that when you are dry camping, you need to make some sacrifices. If you want all the conveniences --- A/C, micros, toasters, whatever ----- then find a campsite with hookups. You can have it both ways, I guess -- but at what expense??
Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Maxzd

True about the keeping cool.. For Air Conditioning, a 3000W Generator is pretty much the only choice for a 15,000BTU A/C when dry camping.. Keeping a watchful eye on the Boliy Generators.. Definately a wait and see purchase for upgrading my trusty little Honda 2000 generator..

So on the topic of keeping cool I bought 4 of these Maxx Air Deluxe Fans with integrated covers 4 months ago. (Picture below). They run off 12 volt.. I have not installed them yet.. I have 3 that are manual switch, one that is remote controlled for the high ceiling..

Like I said I have not installed them yet primarily because the weather hasn't been nice enough but I'm wondering if I went overboard buying 4 of them..

They are a 10 speed fan, reversible intake or exhaust, work with the lid open or closed.. So if I had some bringing fresh air in, and some exhausting warm air at night it should work to keep things really comfortable without A/C.

Used to have one fantastic fan and that worked great to keep the old trailer cool at night...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
THedges

I will be interested in how you like the vent/fans. I installed a Fantastic fan and am very impressed with the amount of air it moves.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
jje1960

Next warm day; 15k aircon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
True about the keeping cool.. For Air Conditioning, a 3000W Generator is pretty much the only choice for a 15,000BTU A/C when dry camping.. Keeping a watchful eye on the Boliy Generators.. Definately a wait and see purchase for upgrading my trusty little Honda 2000 generator..

So on the topic of keeping cool I bought 4 of these Maxx Air Deluxe Fans with integrated covers 4 months ago. (Picture below). They run off 12 volt.. I have not installed them yet.. I have 3 that are manual switch, one that is remote controlled for the high ceiling..

Like I said I have not installed them yet primarily because the weather hasn't been nice enough but I'm wondering if I went overboard buying 4 of them..

They are a 10 speed fan, reversible intake or exhaust, work with the lid open or closed.. So if I had some bringing fresh air in, and some exhausting warm air at night it should work to keep things really comfortable without A/C.

Used to have one fantastic fan and that worked great to keep the old trailer cool at night...

Was going to do it yesterday... never got around to it with everything else... Anyway, next warm day will plug the Boliy in and ascertain if it handles the 15k aircon without having a capacitor boost installed.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by THedges View Post
I will be interested in how you like the vent/fans. I installed a Fantastic fan and am very impressed with the amount of air it moves.
I will definately let you know.. I haven't seen too many reviews on these units, they've been around I think two years now. They're tough to spot on RV's too because of the low profile. I've seen a few mostly on motorhomes.

Fantastic Fans as you say are impressive, the grand daddy of RV Fans. That's all I've ever had in my RV's very reliable. This time around I was getting tired of buying a fantastic fan and buying a maxx-air vent cover. I saw these integrated units and they looked pretty impressive to me.

I did take one out of the box and hook it up directly to 12 volt. It moves a ton of air at full speed and pretty solid thru all 10 speeds. Why 10 speeds beats me, probably marketing.. Why I need to have it on speed #8 vs speed #7 doesn't seem to make alot of sense.. Off, Min, Mid, Max good enough!!!

In the summer it will be interesting to see if the intake and exhaust theory will work. I also think in the fall and winter it should help circulate the heat.. Furnace blasting away and these units on blowing the hot air back down. It's good that they work with the vent cover closed..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Was going to do it yesterday... never got around to it with everything else... Anyway, next warm day will plug the Boliy in and ascertain if it handles the 15k aircon without having a capacitor boost installed.
Crossing my fingers for you it runs first start. You probably know this already, but seems like most A/C units need the Generator at maximum idle before they'll cooperate..

My last trailer was interesting. I had the exact same brand of trailer as a buddy of mine same year too. Same A/C Unit, 13,500BTU. My Honda 2000 would run my A/C Unit no problem. His Honda 2000 and his A/C Unit, wouldn't work. His Honda ran mine, My Honda wouldn't run his. no capacitor boost on either unit.. He gave up trying to figure out why.. I still think the capacitor boost is the route he should take..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
jje1960

Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
Crossing my fingers for you it runs first start. You probably know this already, but seems like most A/C units need the Generator at maximum idle before they'll cooperate..

My last trailer was interesting. I had the exact same brand of trailer as a buddy of mine same year too. Same A/C Unit, 13,500BTU. My Honda 2000 would run my A/C Unit no problem. His Honda 2000 and his A/C Unit, wouldn't work. His Honda ran mine, My Honda wouldn't run his. no capacitor boost on either unit.. He gave up trying to figure out why.. I still think the capacitor boost is the route he should take..
I agree. They are cheap, I'm going to get one and put it in the trailer just in case it's needed while down at Bristol, one year it was like 107deg for multiple days.... hard on the aircon.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote