Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
SR71 Jet Mech

Receiver mounted rock guards

Okay peeps, I searched the forum and didn’t find much, mostly on rock tamer rock guards. I had one of those on my 2500 and two of the “flaps” broke off after one year.

Just wondering what if anything everyone uses??

I’ve looked at a few from $500 down. Obviously for a DRW.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
Okay peeps, I searched the forum and didn’t find much, mostly on rock tamer rock guards. I had one of those on my 2500 and two of the “flaps” broke off after one year.

Just wondering what if anything everyone uses??

I’ve looked at a few from $500 down. Obviously for a DRW.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
In Texas permanent mud flaps are required on all dually vehicles. There are countless types, designs available on the internet or through your truck dealer.
To be quite honest whether they are required in your state or not I'd still rather have permanently fender mounted flaps than temporary hitch mounted ones.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:46 AM   #3
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In Texas permanent mud flaps are required on all dually vehicles. There are countless types, designs available on the internet or through your truck dealer.
To be quite honest whether they are required in your state or not I'd still rather have permanently fender mounted flaps than temporary hitch mounted ones.
My mistake, let me clarify. The pickup has factory splash guards however I had those on my 2500 and at that time we had an aluminum sided TT and it got beat up so I bought the rock tamer brand rock guard. Since it was set up for a SRW it went with the 2500.
The “in wheel well type flaps are really only good (sort of) for keeping the rocker panels and quarters somewhat chip free.
So I was looking at these

https://rhrswag.com/product-category...m%203500/2020/

Also some other less expensive products. The rock tamer came apart after 1 year so that’s why I’m inquiring what others may use if they use this type of rock guard to protect behind the pickup.

Thanks, Scott

Old 02-22-2021, 03:20 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
My mistake, let me clarify. The pickup has factory splash guards however I had those on my 2500 and at that time we had an aluminum sided TT and it got beat up so I bought the rock tamer brand rock guard. Since it was set up for a SRW it went with the 2500.
The “in wheel well type flaps are really only good (sort of) for keeping the rocker panels and quarters somewhat chip free.
So I was looking at these

https://rhrswag.com/product-category...m%203500/2020/

Also some other less expensive products. The rock tamer came apart after 1 year so that’s why I’m inquiring what others may use if they use this type of rock guard to protect behind the pickup.

Thanks, Scott
I just picked up a rear set of black rubber oem ram dually mudflaps on Saturday...$75 at the dealer...I’m not a big fan of big mudflaps but I did have a rock get picked up by the tires and it sounded like someone beating the underside of the truck with a hammer. I’m going to see how they do with towing the fifth wheel and get rock tamers if necessary...the factory splash guard I have was very small.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:53 AM   #5
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I just picked up a rear set of black rubber oem ram dually mudflaps on Saturday...$75 at the dealer...I’m not a big fan of big mudflaps but I did have a rock get picked up by the tires and it sounded like someone beating the underside of the truck with a hammer. I’m going to see how they do with towing the fifth wheel and get rock tamers if necessary...the factory splash guard I have was very small.
Yeah they really aren’t designed to stop much past the bumper, or at that angle anyway (fender well mounted guards).

I had the rock tamers on my 2500. They are a hard, stiff plastic. Mine had 2 of the flaps break off after a year (warranty over) so I think I’m not going that route again. I’ve looked at a few online (or a lot) and I’m trying to find something more “rubber” or pliable. I know others who have the rock tamers and like them. Maybe I over bent mine on installing or removing.
BTW I didn’t get the night edition. All the 20’s were gone and all the 21’s are in transit. However it is black and has all the good “tow stuff “!! And the$$$ was way too good to pass.

Scott

Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Yeah they really aren’t designed to stop much past the bumper, or at that angle anyway (fender well mounted guards).

I had the rock tamers on my 2500. They are a hard, stiff plastic. Mine had 2 of the flaps break off after a year (warranty over) so I think I’m not going that route again. I’ve looked at a few online (or a lot) and I’m trying to find something more “rubber” or pliable. I know others who have the rock tamers and like them. Maybe I over bent mine on installing or removing.
BTW I didn’t get the night edition. All the 20’s were gone and all the 21’s are in transit. However it is black and has all the good “tow stuff “!! And the$$$ was way too good to pass.

Scott
Congratulations! Yeah that will save us from having to plan our rv trips so we don’t end up in the same campground at the same time lol... glad to hear it worked out for you
Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:

Scott
And the polished aluminum wheels do look great! I may go that route one day
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
notanlines

For whatever it is worth, the rock timer guard flaps are made out of rubber not plastic. And I’m certain that they have been made this way for many years. Possibly it was another brand that you had that broke.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Scott

I put a set of Husky Liner receiver mounted mudflaps on my last 3/4 ton and still have them - just moved them over to the 1 ton. Made out of very heavy rubber and work very well...look good to. I went on Amazon where I bought them several years ago but it appears they no longer offer them. I don't know if they have them anywhere else or if they are discontinued. I thought I was going to get Rock Tamers but a friend bought those and they looked very stout so got them instead.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
ChuckS

I’ve been running a set of rock tamers on my 2007 GMC since new... I’d have nothing else.. the rubber is heavy and stays in position to keep things from tearing up the front of the fifth wheel ..

After 14 years they look as good now as the day I installed them on the receiver

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’ve been running a set of rock tamers on my 2007 GMC since new... I’d have nothing else.. the rubber is heavy and stays in position to keep things from tearing up the front of the fifth wheel ..

After 14 years they look as good now as the day I installed them on the receiver
Yep, I had to look back and I was mistaken. The one I actually had was a Rock Solid.

Looking now I am actually considering the rock tamers.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 AM   #12
SR71 Jet Mech

Just wanted to thank all for the replies and comments. Still haven’t made a decision. Going to pickup the new truck today so once I get it home, get the fender well splash guards on and do some measuring I can make a better choice.

RHR Swag has a new product also that hangs from the bumper. Not sure it goes low enough but I kinda like the design. Similar to the rock guards on the rear of motor Holmes.

Anyway THAMKS!

Scott

Tags
mount