Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2020, 02:08 AM   #1
Schbobby

Traveling During Pandemic

I am planning a two week trip between MA and GA and was wondering how this pandemic is affecting travel. Bringing my camper to a work site due to a lot of cancellations on flights. Wanted my own shelter due to Hotels in my area starting to close.
Have states that have isolation edicts and was wondering how travel on the road has been!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

This pandemic situation has changed and the situation is evolving. Different states have enacted travel restrictions but as important, local governments such as county have also jumped into the mix. We took a week and decided to go to Big Bend and stay in Terlingua (outside the park) and Brewster County closed all lodging included RV parks while we were there. We ended up in Del Rio at a park for the duration. Diesel wasn't a problem and there wasn't much of a rush at gas lines but all restaurants are closed so be prepared with sandwiches and call ahead to determine if you can find a place to camp at night. I went into the Del Rio Walmart yesterday and it was a zoo. No bottled water or paper products at all and many shelves were bare. It was disappointing to see my fellow Texans act like idiots when their water supply is delivered by a municipality and there is no good reason paper products should suddenly be so popular. Oddly, the Easter candy shelves were fully stocked. Hopefully the panic buying won't affect your trip down south but be prepared with additional food and other supplies as it may be happening all over.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
GHen

Also note that many state and private campgrounds have closed to overnight camping (which I don’t understand why).
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Do as much research as you can before departing and take along everything you need to be self sufficient.

As far as travel, it may be "strange"? Talked to my son Saturday. He lives outside the Dallas area on a little lake. They had previously been told not to come to work until further notice; Saturday he said his boss called and said "to heck with it - come to work". Talked to DW this morning and said he can't go because you have to have a permit to drive anywhere and they were stopping folks and issuing large fines? He told her the local municipality had issued orders for everyone to stay inside and would fine you if you were in your yard. Now this is 2nd hand thru DW but if that is the case some places are going wacko - so, do your due diligence.

On a brighter note; if you do make the trip and need groceries, our local grocery store began a "seniors hour" this week. From 6-7am it's seniors only and it is right after they have stocked from the truck delivery. So this morning I found most of the items I had been looking for all week!! Yeah!! Keep that in mind as you travel and keep your eye out. I also saw in yesterdays paper that Dollar General is limiting the 1st hour of business each day to seniors so that might come in handy for you as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
Hblick48

Had plans to go to SF RV Park for a week starting 4/3. After stay at home order, we decided to cancel trip. Didn't want to get stuck in case things get worse and all travel is restricted. Also, if one of us get sick, prefer to be at home .
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
GHen

I agree, my biggest concern would be if one of us would get sick, how far would we be from a major hospital. I don’t think I want to get stuck in a small clinic with pneumonia.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Aireman

Traveled from Bullhead Az to Carson City Nv with no problems except one. While many fast food places are open, it’s drive thru ONLY! Kinda hard with the rig hooked up. Much easier to just find a rest stop and open the slides.
Aireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
linux3

Just came back from FL.
Most Rest Stops in PA are closed. Not just closed, barriers across the entrances. Plan well.
Most private CG's are closed. Many state parks and all National are too.
Food is a problem. Bring your own.
On the good side gas was $1.75 in VA and WV.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Tooth Ferry

Pandemic Travel

Many Natl Park campgrounds, trails, roads, rest rooms, are open. Great Smoky NP has all these open but visitor centers and stores are closed. Some COE campgrounds are closed but maybe not all. Some NFS campgrounds, restrooms,trails and roads if not open now will be in the next couple of weeks at their regular seasonal opening dates.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
Roscommon48

You'll be able to travel at this point but just plan on many things being closed.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
gearhead

Texas state parks are open. Most historical sites are not.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
Twisties

RV parks are being closed left and right with minimal notice and non-residents are being ordered out of areas as well. State and Federal Parks are closing wholesale.

We found that traveling put us at increased exposure for frequent stops. We've holed up in a park in CO with a long-term reservation and are hoping we don't get kicked out. Travelers are evoking rage in some tourist areas. My home area on the Oregon coast erupted this weekend after an influx of tourists. Scary rage. I don't feel I can go home.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Full timing in an RV can become very VERY inconvenient if "tourist focused local governments" lose sight of what they are doing to "protect" or "manage" their resident population....

Imagine the public outcries and rebellion if some "city government" or "county government" suddenly announced that all "renters would be evicted from houses and apartments".... That's essentially what they are doing when they "announce a closure of all RV campgrounds".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Referencing my previous post, my DS did confirm that they were told they could not go outside and that their little municipality was being "patrolled" looking for violators - that's just wrong. With the hysteria being generated by the media, not facts, some locations/cities/counties/states are going off the deep end doing things that don't make sense, aren't effective but are truly disrupting peoples lives and commerce - without any idea of what they are doing because no one knows.

Read/heard some good news IMO. "The cure can't be worse than the problem"....think about that. We are destroying businesses, lives, savings accounts (mine is down a LOT) and everything else out of fear - just fear, nothing else. At least that statement, and the fact that the President appears to understand the situation at hand and will hopefully get a handle on a manageable situation that has run amok should make one feel a little better.

If we continue down the current course unchecked, the out of control press, and those that want this country to fail, will.....destroy the economy - you cannot just shut down businesses and let employees go home unpaid forever. Oh, and the government can't just "give" trillions to all of those out of work folks, closed businesses etc. One thing many of our friends in government forget is that....they don't have any money! It comes from those MAKING money - when businesses close and people don't work...there is NO money for them to give away.

I've pondered this for quite some time. At what point do we, as self directed humans, decide that we want to "kill" our lives out of fear. What are we willing to sacrifice because we are "afraid"? Everything you own...as is happening right now? Your future? Any possibility of living a normal life? If this continues do you want to "live on the streets" with the other 300M folks that met the same fate? Put your family through unmentionable pain, grief and deprivation to....what exactly? Not be afraid? I think many/most that are driving this are ones that have never faced death, never had to make a life/death decision....coddled.

I've lived and had a wonderful, blessed life. My DW means the entire world to me along with my kids. A prolonged period of what is going on now will totally destroy their lives going forward. Miserable, nothing - all savings lost, can't pay bills, groveling for food or shelter. Will I take my chance with this thing vs that outcome? All day, everyday. Are they on the same page? Absolutely. The chances of getting this virus and dying are slim. The chances that your life will be destroyed if we don't change our direction and inject common sense is assured. JMO/YMMV and I'm sure it does....and yes, I worry about it but I'm not going to put one of my weapons to my head and end my life because I'm scared of "it" - which is exactly what we are doing by killing the entire economy of the country.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Partner at work, his wife works at a big box hardware store. They issued permits, my employer hasn’t. But there hasn’t been any noticeable enforcement. I will say the drive to/from work has been a LOT lighter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny

I think you're "spot on" with your thinking...

The way I see it is this:

There are people who have never faced any "uncertainty about tomorrow"... When given a choice of "feast or famine" they will always choose "feast"... Then they turn to "someone else" and say, "OK, I made my choice, now you make it happen"... They made the choice with no thought about "how to achieve the choice" just "this is what I want"....

It's much the same with "social distance/isolation/stay home to be safe"... OK, we (they) made the choice, now "who is going to provide the means to make their choice a reality" ???? Few have the financial means to live for months on end without income (a job) and if the past week is any indication, depending on Congress to "figure it out for us" is about as likely as me flying to the moon on tomorrow's "jersey cow"...

When the President said today, "We can't have the cure become worse than the disease" what he was saying (IMHO) was that we have to face the reality that we can't "destroy our country" in order to work toward complete safety"... We don't even know if "complete safety is even a remote possibility"....

Some are "worried about the stock market" (I am too BTW) But the reality is that we've had from 2016 to present to "build a cushion" in the market. In 2016 the market was at 15,000. Last week the market was at 30,000. We've lost 12,000 in this past 10 days... The "cushion" is gone. THANK GOD WE HAD IT... Otherwise, if the market had been at 16000 or 17000 and we lost 12,000, we'd also have lost our country's entire capacity to recover, and we would, right now, be in the "great depression", the likes of which would be much worse than it was in 1929.....

While it's "going to be uncomfortable for a while" I expect that when we "recover from this temporary insanity" and get back to the business of being Americans, we'll start recovering not only our sanity, but also our economy, our industry and our self-confidence.

It's been said, "When any free society trades its freedom for the assurance of safety, that freedom is forever gone as is any guarantee of safety provided by the government that took that freedom for a promise they could never keep"...… I'm afraid too many are looking for a promise no government can keep and are wagering their freedom and their fortune on a wishful hope.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:37 AM   #17
Schbobby

I can see this getting worst than the Great Depression, many people are out of work trying to collect unemployment. I don’t see many of these closed business coming out of this unscathed. Travel seems a bit risky by a lot of these reply’s.
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:46 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Lt. Gov. Patrick was on Fox News yesterday and said essentially that we shouldn't destroy our way of life hiding from a virus. He said Texas had to strike a balance. The Prez said he throught that Congress was close to passing a relief bill but things like environmental and pro-choice pork were being tacked on that were not acceptable given the pandemic situation and I suspect mounting pressure will cause those non-pandemic agenda driven items to eventually get sidelined for now. Without some relief, the folks who are unemployed are going to start hurting fast. I am my church's web guy and I posted links to the Texas Workforce Commission link to filing for unemployment insurance. Unfortunately, TWC site has been flooded and is down a lot. There is also a phone number but I suspect it won't get answered much. Folks need to exhibit calm and have some patience.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 AM   #19
Pull Toy

Not to be alarmist, just realistic. The possibility exists that you may be legally forced off of the road in any state, at any moment. You should plan on being totally self sufficient for at least two weeks.

Unless I absolutely had to make the trip, I'd rather be "STUCK" right here at home. Just my two cents.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:51 AM   #20
gearhead

The scary part to me is that the public is accepting the government edicts that limit their movements in public. Until martial law is declared I don't see how any government subdivision can tell me to stay home.
Now a political faction is holding up legislation actions to help those in financial distress to add money to further their political agenda. I think most of us assume that a fair percentage of the forthcoming aid will be misdirected and will miss some who need it, but to load up a bill with politically inspired "helicopter money" is disgusting.
I've lost money like many others but it will come back. But I will not trade my freedom for a government handout.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote