Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I was watching a car/truck show on the Motor Trend channel yesterday.
They replaced the tank with a 100 gallon tank on a RAM truck. It used the same filler and sender unit from the factory tank. Looked like a clean easy swap.
The biggest issue with the replacement tanks is their cost, typically 3-5 times, if not more, the price of the auxiliary tank in the bed. But if bed space is an issue they're a great solution.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #22
idcruiserman

Had a 65 gallon replacement tank in my 6 7L Ford. I loved it, but it came with the truck. I don't like giving up bed space
idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
dmorgan64

In Bed Tank

I had an in bed tank in my diesel Ford Truck. About 33 gallon tank. It worked out great for travel. Always had a spare fuel filter with me. The fuel filter was notorious for getting crud collected! Pulled a 36 ft Cougar with that truck. Well worth having the extra fuel!

Good luck on whatever you go with!
dmorgan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #24
Jim2366

We just drove 570 miles to Oak Mountain State Park. Getting around getting fuel is very time consuming and it can be tough monovering. I need to get the extra tank. Not only the time I get get a lot of fuel when it cost less.

One quick question is the automatic fill or gravity better?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I was watching a car/truck show on the Motor Trend channel yesterday.
They replaced the tank with a 100 gallon tank on a RAM truck. It used the same filler and sender unit from the factory tank. Looked like a clean easy swap.
No valve to mess with, and you don't loose bed space.
https://realtruck.com/p/titan-mid-sh...ram-3500/2020/
All I'm seeing on Titans site is a 55 gallon.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #26
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
All I'm seeing on Titans site is a 55 gallon.
Yes, my mistake.
But it looks like a clean upgrade.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #27
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
I use the RDS in bed tank. 32 gallon.(actually holds 35) I also used it in my short bed prior to this 2020 Ram 3500. I like it a lot and it stays under the tonneau along with the hitch so when I’m not towing it’s all out of the elements.
This is just how my set up looks only I have the 37gal version. The nice part is there is enough room on top of the tank I can stow my folding camp chairs there very nicely. I can now have a total of about 65gals. onboard which will give me over 600 mile range when towing. I hardly ever travel more than 300 miles a day but that gets me from NY all the way to VA before I have to fuel up so I can get through all the high priced states. I really don't see the need for more onboard fuel than that. Some just seem to overdo it. Diesel adds weight.
BTW, I have a short box and slider hitch. It fits perfectly.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #28
notanlines

Jim, Jim, Jim, "Some just seem to overdo it" too much diesel is almost enough!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #29
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
This is just how my set up looks only I have the 37gal version. The nice part is there is enough room on top of the tank I can stow my folding camp chairs there very nicely. I can now have a total of about 65gals. onboard which will give me over 600 mile range when towing. I hardly ever travel more than 300 miles a day but that gets me from NY all the way to VA before I have to fuel up so I can get through all the high priced states. I really don't see the need for more onboard fuel than that. Some just seem to overdo it. Diesel adds weight.
BTW, I have a short box and slider hitch. It fits perfectly.
If I only had 65 gallons total, it really wouldn't make me comfortable. I also refuel when I'm down to 1/4 tank left, which is approx. 10 gallons, so that would leav me with 55 usable gallons. Divide that by 9 mpg when towing and I'm looking at 495. Nah, I'll stick with approx. 95 gallons onboard when I leave for a trip. YMMV!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
If I only had 65 gallons total, it really wouldn't make me comfortable. I also refuel when I'm down to 1/4 tank left, which is approx. 10 gallons, so that would leav me with 55 usable gallons. Divide that by 9 mpg when towing and I'm looking at 495. Nah, I'll stick with approx. 95 gallons onboard when I leave for a trip. YMMV!
Me too...
Old 02-23-2021, 02:46 AM   #31
jimborokz

Quote:
Actually my mileage does very, I get close to 12 when towing. With my back and sciatica issues I keep my daily driving to under 300mi. if I can. But I can see the need for more reserve in many cases and I respect that, if fact I envy those that can go long distances like I used to. I remember not that long ago when I did a truck route about once a month that was 7 hours each way with a loading stop in the middle. Had to fudge the log on that one.
But alas, no more.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #32
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Actually my mileage does very, I get close to 12 when towing. With my back and sciatica issues I keep my daily driving to under 300mi. if I can. But I can see the need for more reserve in many cases and I respect that, if fact I envy those that can go long distances like I used to. I remember not that long ago when I did a truck route about once a month that was 7 hours each way with a loading stop in the middle. Had to fudge the log on that one.
But alas, no more.
One of the big reasons for me getting the 60 gallon aux. tank is that we are planning a trip out west this fall and it will take 5 days of driving from the Knoxville, TN area to Williams, AZ. The third day of the trip will total right at 480 miles, so having more than enough fuel is critical to keeping on schedule. Once we get into the mountains an start travelling to our different places, I'm sure the mileage will drop below the average of 9 mpg. I'm figuring that at times I may be in 6 to maybe 7 mpg when towing to our next stop....so I choose to have no worries about finding fuel as long as I start off each travel day with a full fuel load.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:13 AM   #33
jasin1

I have a tank that I picked up for $150 (a steal) better built brand with a pump..we use that to top off fuel in my sons boat but it’s pretty rough looking and too big to go in my new truck. I use my old beater truck for that ..I used to drive straight through to the keys from my house ..about a 1000 miles or so with a 20 min nap hear and there at rest stops. Those days are over for me ..I was watching kyd on YouTube and they mentioned the 3:30 rule .. drive for 330 miles or until 3:30 pm.. I’m gonna try that this trip and see if I can be patient and not get too antsy to get back on the road. I stop at truck stops for fuel and my new truck has the 50 gallon tank option.. I may look for a really nice 5 gallon jerry can for emergency diesel for now just in case. We like to stop and stretch our legs every few hours as well so stopping at a truck stop so far has not been a problem. I think if and when we go west I will get one and get a pump because I like the idea of taking it out when I’m not traveling and not having a hose laying in the bed when the tank is gone.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #34
travelin texans

I'm on the opposite side of this fence!
We traveled full-time for 10+ years totaling 300k+ miles with 2 diesel trucks. The '05 had a 32 gallon tank, the '13 had a 36 gallon, I did not carry any extra fuel in jerry cans & didn't have an auxillary tank. I carried a cross bed tool box full of tools/stuff so no room for an extra tank.
Only once in those years/miles heading north on I-25 in Montana bucking the wind in the middle of nowhere was I wishing I had an extra 5 gallons just as we topped the hill & spotted a truck stop where I put 31 gallons in that '05 32 gallon tank, by the hair of our chinny chin chin!
With that said, typically we traveled 2x2x2, traveled 200 miles, stop by 2pm & stayed 2 days. We could typically travel +/-350 miles per tank on either truck, but was a very rare occasion to travel that far in a day.
Finding cheaper fuel off of the highway wasn't ever an issue once parked & drove into town to check it out. If needed there were always truck stops available that I didn't mind using, easy in/out towing 40' 5th wheels.
If you're towing with a gasser all this means nothing. The last time I checked several years ago there are/were no approved auxillary tanks for gasoline. The Titan replacement tanks may be available for gas?
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #35
Eric363

I installed a 50 gallon Titan tank in my 2011 SB f250. I did it myself in a couple of hours. With forscan I was able recalibrate the tank size. A little pricey, but from a 26gal factor tank, IMO it was absolutely necessary for any long distance travel.
Eric363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm on the opposite side of this fence!
We traveled full-time for 10+ years totaling 300k+ miles with 2 diesel trucks. The '05 had a 32 gallon tank, the '13 had a 36 gallon, I did not carry any extra fuel in jerry cans & didn't have an auxillary tank. I carried a cross bed tool box full of tools/stuff so no room for an extra tank.
Only once in those years/miles heading north on I-25 in Montana bucking the wind in the middle of nowhere was I wishing I had an extra 5 gallons just as we topped the hill & spotted a truck stop where I put 31 gallons in that '05 32 gallon tank, by the hair of our chinny chin chin!
With that said, typically we traveled 2x2x2, traveled 200 miles, stop by 2pm & stayed 2 days. We could typically travel +/-350 miles per tank on either truck, but was a very rare occasion to travel that far in a day.
Finding cheaper fuel off of the highway wasn't ever an issue once parked & drove into town to check it out. If needed there were always truck stops available that I didn't mind using, easy in/out towing 40' 5th wheels.
If you're towing with a gasser all this means nothing. The last time I checked several years ago there are/were no approved auxillary tanks for gasoline. The Titan replacement tanks may be available for gas?
Yeah the jerry can is probably overkill for me...I do like your 2x2x2 travel schedule I might have to modify to 3x3x2 when going west because of time constraints..but taking time to see what’s around instead of racing through every town may be a good way to start traveling...with my 50 gallon tank it’s a workable plan
Old 02-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #37
ewbldavis

Couple of questions from a gasser:

Do truck pump nozzles fit in your trucks?

Do they have larger tanks for gas trucks? I haven't searched much, but haven't really seen any.

I'm curious - one of the "benefits" I would think with a diesel is going thru truck pumps, so you don't have to navigate the car pumps like I do. We usually stop for a leg stretch often enough to refuel, though I agree a bigger tank and being able to go all day without refueling would be nice...though maybe not necessary.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Couple of questions from a gasser:

Do truck pump nozzles fit in your trucks?

Do they have larger tanks for gas trucks? I haven't searched much, but haven't really seen any.

I'm curious - one of the "benefits" I would think with a diesel is going thru truck pumps, so you don't have to navigate the car pumps like I do. We usually stop for a leg stretch often enough to refuel, though I agree a bigger tank and being able to go all day without refueling would be nice...though maybe not necessary.
I can't answer for certain if there are larger replacement tanks for gassers, check Titan or whatever other manufacturers website to find out for sure.
You won't find gasoline in any of the truck bays, only diesel. Your easiest solution is to find truck stops with rv islands, they'll have both gas & diesel with some having propane also.
Yes the truck pump nozzles are larger & pump much faster, but never had an issue with either of my trucks fueling in truck bays.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #39
Jim2366

Quote:
Here is the one that I just bought. Height to the top of the tank is 16 1/2" and the "L" shape allows many of the crossbed tool boxes to fit directly over the horizontal part of the tank.

Here is a link to the place I bought it from and the tank itself....

https://www.tankandbarrel.com/shape-...nk-p-2389.html

Since receiving it, I have painted it black because my Dually is Black. I'm waiting for some nice weather to actually install it in the truck. It will be gravity feed and I also have a FlowRite 15 gallon per minute pump that I'm going to put on it also....just in case I want to do a quick re-fuel or need to pump fuel somewhere else. With the 37 1/2 gallon tank my truck has, and the 60 gallon aux. tank, I should have almost 95 gallons of fuel at the start of a trip. They say that with the aux. tanks you should only fill them to about 95% to keep fuel from expanding and leaking out the vent if the weather/temperature is hot.
I ordered the auxiliary fuel tank today from tank and barrel. It will ship here from FL. The estimated arrival was 4 to 6 weeks. I will paint it black too so that it matches the truck that is black and the spray in bedliner.

There is a good chance I will be back on getting help on the installation. I am pretty excited to not have to stop for fuel every 200 miles.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #40
hornet28

If you guys want the paint to stay on you should scuff the tank up real good. But that's quite a task with the diamond plate
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank