Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
kwatts1119

2021 Hideout BHWES battery Disconnect?

Recently purchased a 2021 Hideout BHWES and I was looking of the battery disconnect. Its gonna be in storage about a month and half. I couldn't find one. Anyone know if there is one and if there is where it might be?
kwatts1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
LHaven

I don't know whether or not you have a battery disconnect, but if you're going to be idle for 45 days, realize that the battery disconnect (as wired by the factory) does not shut off all 12V items. By code, the propane/CO detector must remain active, and in a lot of rigs the radio (don't ask me why) stays connected, possibly some other stuff as well depending on your rig.

I can leave my rig at the dealer shop for a week (for a "one day repair") and have a battery that won't run the tongue jack when I go to pick it up.

If you want to save your battery, disconnect one of the posts. For best results, take it out, bring it home, and put it on a maintainer.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
kwatts1119

Thanks! Yeah I saw the radio is hard wired and does not disconnect. Doesn't make sense to me.
kwatts1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
travelin texans

Just remove the negative cable from the battery that goes directly to ground, now it's totally disconnected.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatts1119 View Post
Thanks! Yeah I saw the radio is hard wired and does not disconnect. Doesn't make sense to me.
The radio is "hard-wired to the battery so it can maintain the presets and time memory. Also, the LP Gas monitor bypasses any cut-off switch as do the slide motors, any electric stabilizers/levelers and any remote control system that may come on your trailer as OEM equipment. All that said, I do not believe the Hideout line comes with an OEM battery cutoff switch.

So, if you want to install one, pick your battery cable and install it as the "first connection past the battery terminal. Many people choose the + cable, just as many choose the - cable.... Until you get the switch and install it, you can do the same thing by simply removing one of the battery cables. Most people (I think) choose the negative cable. But it's not "wrong" to choose the positive cable.... The objective is simply to interrupt the complete circuit at the battery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

The problem with disconnecting the positive cable is that if while turning your wrench you accidentally touch a ground source (like the frame, etc.) you can cause a short circuit.

You should always disconnect the negative cable first - and conversely, attach the negative cable last.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
The problem with disconnecting the positive cable is that if while turning your wrench you accidentally touch a ground source (like the frame, etc.) you can cause a short circuit.

You should always disconnect the negative cable first - and conversely, attach the negative cable last.
Yep, yep, that's generally the way I look at it. Prevent sparks where possible, so I always disconnect the negative cable before ever putting a wrench on the positive cable clamp.... That said, if you're working on a boat that's sitting in the water, you've always got a negative connection "everywhere" including standing on the dock, because the boat is in the water, making the connection "always".... So, while I'm in agreement with you (when it comes to working on RV's on land) some people tend to apply the same conditions to every battery in every condition in every situation.... Hence, the + battery cable argument keeps surfacing....

In my Ford owner's manuals for every Ford I've owned, the section concerning "long term storage" states to disconnect the negative battery terminal. And, in most of the "caution statements" related to the battery, that same, "Remove the negative battery cable, first" keeps appearing....

I'm in complete agreement with you, just giving what I think is "the other side of the argument"... My battery cutoff switch is connected to the negative battery terminal/cable.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, hideout