Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
gdiano

Actual pin weights on 318SAB

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are owners of the 2010 or 2011 318SAB fifth wheel that have taken the rig to the scales and know their actual weights (especially pin).

Our family loves the floor plan and Keystone seems to make a good product in the mid profile category. However, looking at all of the brochures and talking with dealerships etc, I am curious as to how the larger models have a lower (15-17%) DRY pin weight than some of their other models. I know DRY pin weight means nothing in the end until the 5'er is loaded, however I am wondering 2 things...

1 - Are the published dry weights at least close? I know they will vary depending on options etc, but are they even in the ballpark of a 1500lb pin? Has anyone taken delivery and gone straight to the scales? Was it close to 1500 or more like 1700-1800 dry?

2 - When loaded for camping with lets say 800-1200lbs of gear and supplies, how much does that pin weight go up? I know the industry standard is 20% etc and I have seen all of the arguments on other forums etc, but I am after some actual pin weight numbers from actual owners that have weighed their rig/setup. If Keystone is able to produce a dry pin weight of approx. 1500lbs, does that percentage stay relatively the same as its loaded or does it jump significantly? Does 1000lbs (and take 20% of that) equate to a 200 pound increase on the pin or more (obviously depending how its loaded)?

That dry pin weight is attractive when shopping around and I am just trying to determine if we loaded 1000 lbs of supplies, would that pin weight jump from 1500 dry to 2000 loaded or closer to 1700-1800? I understand it all depends on where things are loaded (basement etc) so I would like to hear from some 318SAB owners that have some actual numbers.

I am not looking for "well it should be" this or that. I know all of the "rule of thumbs" etc. I don't want to debate the whole weight issue, but merely looking for actual situations from actual owners. I would even be interested in owners that have the 322QB, 326MKS, 327RES, and 324RLB as they all have similar dry pin weights for a larger 5'er.

I don't want to start the whole "weight police" thing or hypothetical scenarios etc. Those debates turn out nasty and I quit reading those. But some insight from actual owners would be helpful! I know what a dealer will tell me "no problem, you could tow this thing with 1/2 ton" etc (LOL!!!). just to make a sale so owners would be more helpful to providing some insight.

Thanks in advance!
Greg
gdiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I will leave the pin weight discussion to those who have gone through the process you have described above and have actually taken the trouble to weigh their units on scales. However, I would like to comment on the figures you mentioned for "gear and supplies". I think your estimate of 800-1200 lbs is a bit too conservative. When we got our 5th wheel 2 years ago, we weighed EVERYTHING - what went in the truck and the 5th wheel--- dog, 2 adults , hitch, 2 full propane tanks, a bit of fresh water, food, dishes, camping stuff ---- EVERYTHING.. We ended up with close to 1500 lbs for the 2 of us. 800 lbs I think is very conservative and 1200 lbs would be closer to what you can expect. If you are including kids as part of the family, you know how much additional weight their stuff will be!!! I know this is not what you are looking for but I thought I would throw that in for consideration.
I know that a few members have actual numbers but whether or not they have the same or similar unit as you do is another matter. I am sure you will get lots of input and advice - hopefully it will be based on factual numbers rather than hypothetical guesstimates
Old 05-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
gdiano

Talking

Thanks for the reply. I hear what your saying and concur. Although my numbers may be low, hopefully my request for help with still give me some good ball park numbers. I guess what I am really after is if those numbers from Keystone are fairly accurate and then what happens once loaded.

And I do agree that my 800-1200 lb scenario is probably conservative but I was simply throwing numbers out there. If its 1500, 1800, or even 2000 lbs of cargo, I really want to see what happens to that ever debatable pin weight number. The only thing Keystone says is "yes, the 318SAB has an approx dry pin weight of 1500 lbs." That helps a little, but I want to know the "real world" scenarios before I buy too much trailer etc.

Thanks for your reply and I am sure your right about cargo...especially since we have kids and this tiny thing I guess we call a dog
Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
kenn209

This is from JimW over in another thread. He has a 2010 318sab

I am pulling that model of camper (318SAB) with a 2008, 2500HD, 6.7L CTD, 6spd auto, 3:73 gears, 4X4 with a Mega Cab.
My weight numbers across a "CAT Certified Truck Scale for this combination are:
Front Axle 4940 Lbs, Rear Axle 5160 Lbs, Trailer Axles 8140 LBS and the Gross Combine Weight is 18,240 Lbs. I was fully loaded except for water and waste fluids, as I normal do not carry them. I usually do not fill my fresh water tank unless I need to and then I do this at the camp ground. That extra weight will eat up your fuel mileage.

He estimates the pin weight to be just over 1700. Hope this helps! We are looking at the same camper.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Jim W

Hi,
I think the actual pin weight based on a 15% transfer to the pin would be 1725 LBS. This is based on the shipping weight of the camper and the max cargo weight allowed. The shipping weight is 9132 LBS and the max Cargo weight is 2528 LBS. The cargo weight includes two 30 LB propane tanks full battery and all of your paraphernalia plus water and waste water. These add up to 11,496 LBS. If you used the 20% pin weight then this would be 2,300 LBS. A newer 2500HD Diesel with 3:73 Gears or higher, like a 4:10 can easily pull this unit.
I have had my unit out twice and the DW and I love the unit everything has work as excepted. The floor plan is great for our needs esceplishly when we will take our Grand Kids camping with us.
The only issue that my DW has with the unit is the air vent in the bedroom celling. I have had to buy a vent cushion and a shade to cover this opening at night. She likes it really really dark in the bedroom to sleep.
I also like the 16" tires on the unit.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
gdiano

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback...

Do you know how much cargo you carry? Is it about 1500 lbs? And looking at one of your other posts, it looks like your actual pin is about 1700+. Do sense this is accurate?

Yes we have a 2500HD Diesel Chevy 2009 model with crew cab. So we just want to be sure we are in the ball park etc. According to the empty weights, it looks to be a good fit, even if it was fully loaded to our needs.

Thanks again!
Greg
Old 05-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Jim W

Greg,
My pin weight will vary between 1700 and 1900 LBS, depending on what I carry. When we go for a two weeks or more on a trip, the pin weight will be closer to the 1900 LBS. I normally carry about 1500 to 1800 LBS of cargo.
When my truck is hooked up to the 5er, the bed is level. I placed a level in the bed on this last camping trip, when the unit and truck were parked on the cement pad. This pad was level both fore aft and side to side. My truck does not have any air bags installed on it.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
dea3851

weights on 318SAB 2010

Just weighted my unit last week per the keystone owners book axles 7940, unit 9660,hitch pin weight 1720 my unit weight sticker 9060 so i had 600 lbs in unit truck is a 2002 ford f250 sd 2wd,with a v10 and weights 6440 with me in it and full of gas i weight 200 lbs. weighted it on 7-8-2010. Don from Ludington Michigan
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
gdiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea3851 View Post
Just weighted my unit last week per the keystone owners book axles 7940, unit 9660,hitch pin weight 1720 my unit weight sticker 9060 so i had 600 lbs in unit truck is a 2002 ford f250 sd 2wd,with a v10 and weights 6440 with me in it and full of gas i weight 200 lbs. weighted it on 7-8-2010. Don from Ludington Michigan
That's great info!! Appreciate that!
Greg
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Eckerhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdiano View Post
Hi everyone,

1 - Are the published dry weights at least close? I know they will vary depending on options etc, but are they even in the ballpark of a 1500lb pin? Has anyone taken delivery and gone straight to the scales? Was it close to 1500 or more like 1700-1800 dry?

Greg
Trailer manufacturers are required by Federal Law to weigh the trailers. I have seen two recalls recently where one manufacturer failed to properly perform the weigh process. One was for the pin weight specifically where the notice stated they failed to properly setup the fixture to hold pin on scale. So, they should be accurate.
Eckerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
caberto

This is great info everyone! I just started a similar thread about the 324RLB and the same truck as others here, asking for real world pin weights and other questions... this gives me more confidence that we are going to be OK with the real pin weight.
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
CWtheMan

There always seems to be threads about pin/hitch weights. The answer is always the same. If you want to know your actual pin weight you are going to have to fund some scales and weigh it. Look at page 19 in the reference provided below or your own owner’s manual.

My particular Keystone RV trailer holds pretty true around 19-20% (2500-2700#) when loaded. However, my W/D is on the main floor level and close to the axles. Newer Keystone models tend to have the W/D in the master bedroom. With lots of practice we have learned how to keep our RV trailer’s cargo evenly distributed.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...nual_08_09.pdf

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote